Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO: people who work in shops.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so, this new chip and pin business.

tell me, when you're serving a customer, do you prefer them to stick the card in themselves, or to hand it to you so you can do it?

i never know. and thought i would seek opinions.

Comments

• Options
    For the record, at Tesco you have to hand the card to the cashier, because their chip and pin machines work off the tills.
  • Options
    just asking because today i was in asda, and i went to put in in myself, but then the lady glared at me, so i handed it to her. and then she looked at me like i was special.

can't win. scary as fuck asda, that one. tis a shame, cause they're cheap and they do good food :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I was stoned as fuck the other day when I went into a service station for some fags. I went to pay with my card and this woman was trying get me to put in my card myself and was barkign all these commands at me - I really wasn't in a good state to start pissing about.
    The queue started to stretch out the bloody door as I kept fucking up, and I could see she was getting stressed. I asked her if she could just sort so all I had to do was type my pin in and she called me an idiot.
    I went off my head and and made a complete tit of myself. My mates were in stitches.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    can't win. scary as fuck asda, that one. tis a shame, cause they're cheap and they do good food :thumb:

are you on about the same asda we all know, its terrible there
  • Options
    Odd.

At the two Asdas I visit here, they want you to do it. And glare if you don't.

Maybe your assistant was just a plank.
  • Options
    We still have a swipey machine at work.

A bit odd really, seeing as we've just had a refit and have lots of new stuff. And the proper tills have them, so why shouldn't our little cafe till? :(

On a side note, I've never used a chip and pin thingy. Woe is me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    On a side note, I've never used a chip and pin thingy. Woe is me.

lucky. they are the bane of my life. i have two debit cards and two credit cards, and remembering all the pin numbers is a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    For the record, at Tesco you have to hand the card to the cashier, because their chip and pin machines work off the tills.

Ours Tesco's rocks. They've just installed a system where you scan in the stuff yourself. Then pay to a machine. No till staff needed. It's fun :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    We still have a swipey machine at work.

Us too...and I doubt we'll be getting a chip and pin bugger any time soon. Shop's meant to be closing down...I only started on Saturday too. Mih.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Ours Tesco's rocks. They've just installed a system where you scan in the stuff yourself. Then pay to a machine. No till staff needed. It's fun :hyper:

We have had them for a while and they are well scary this lady shouting unknown item on the conveyabelt at you.

I work at tesco and we have the chip and pin things but whenever i scan cards into the tills it never prompts me to use it and you just get signing recipts as normal? Which im assuming is kind of odd.
  • Options
    At Tesco they do it, at Morrisons you do it. If the machine is on the counter I just go to put the card in. They can stop me if they must.
    Originally posted by BritJames
    sales consultants
    :lol:
  • Options
    i cant wait till it bloody comes in, no more 'i cant remember my pin number so can i have some money from behind the counter?'

HAHA NO U FREAKS NOW U CAN LEAVE ME ALONE AND GET A LIFE

im very passionate on the subject
  • Options
    my personal preference is when customers just simply don't come into the store at all. They can take their cards and shove them up their ass because its assholes like them that make me have a job. Fucking bastards, stay at home and make do with the shit you have, dont go out and buy new crap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    my personal preference is when customers just simply don't come into the store at all. They can take their cards and shove them up their ass because its assholes like them that make me have a job. Fucking bastards, stay at home and make do with the shit you have, dont go out and buy new crap.

bad day?

Anyhoo, I like to put the card in myself, and stuff the assisstant :p

But I'm not sure there is a rule yet, and some till operators cannot understand that I am clever enough to be able to put my card in the machine without being told to.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit

Sainsbury's have had that for ages. Thieves!
  • Options
    I actually prefer to put it in myself, but thats probably because you can see whether or not they've scratched the signature off as you get with the fraud people - they always seem to say "Oh, i've not had my PIN through yet" etc.

But that might be because our chip and pin thingies are behind the tills and you have to hand them to them anyways.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

heee :heart:
  • Options

it's 'fun' in that it's kinda like a game where you get to be the till boy/girl and swear at items when they don't scan properly, then place it on the conveyor which then tells you to put it on the conveyor (yes, i typed that twice for a reason) whilst it actually thinks about what you've done.

this whole process takes roughly 5x longer than if you'd not be an antisocial dickhead and actually go to a till with a person manning it.

and to answer the question, i like to put the card in, as not all cards do the chip and pin thingy so customer puts it in, our till goes 'nope' then they hand it to me anyway to play with.... saves fuss.
  • Options
    I haven't been trained in how to use our chip and pin thingys yet :(
    However, ours is in a pretty awkward place for us, so I'm guessing we'll be expecting customers to put it in themselves...

I haven't used one yet, I've only just had my new card come through, so I am a complete newbie to the whole chip and pin concept :D
  • Options
    This chip and pin thing is very simple to get round. If you dont know your pin all you have to do is ask the till person to type in the card number and what not and you use it just like a old card.
    I have to do it all the time at work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    This chip and pin thing is very simple to get round. If you dont know your pin all you have to do is ask the till person to type in the card number and what not and you use it just like a old card.
    I have to do it all the time at work.

Just now you can do that. After new year shops wont be as keen because then they would be liable if the card was being used fraudulently.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i cant wait till it bloody comes in, no more 'i cant remember my pin number so can i have some money from behind the counter?'

I know.

Perish the thought that someone would want to take their money out of their bank account in the way most conveinent to them.
  • Options

Your best bet is probably a proper job, you know.
  • Options

You work at a bank right? And you work on the tills? Hmm There was me thinking that it was you job to give people money from their accont....funny that....