Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Firewall.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did a search, but thought I'd waste space, time, patience etc by starting a new thread.

Basically, I use ZoneAlarm, and I don't like it. Could anyone recommend a better alternative? There's usually a 'best one' of things like this. Like, the best browser would be 'Mozilla' in most people's opinion, and the best anti-virus would be 'AVG' in most people's opinion. Is there a 'best one' for firewalls?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    IMO ZoneAlarm. ;(
  • Options
    iptables
  • Options
    Naw, ZoneAlarm fucks about with, well.. Everything.. A little too much for my liking.

What is special about 'iptables'?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Re: Firewall.
    Originally posted by Capacity
    "and the best anti-virus would be 'AVG' in most people's opinion."

Thanks.

Ha, nub ¬_¬ AvG is crappier than a old guys pants after a sudden diorreah (sp) attack.

Norton is a pretty good firewall, easy to use constantly updating and Norton Internet Security is only 25 quid at PC World.

so yeah...

AvG... Ha. :lol:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Firewall.
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Ha, nub ¬_¬ AvG is crappier than a old guys pants after a sudden diorreah (sp) attack.

Norton is a pretty good firewall, easy to use constantly updating and Norton Internet Security is only 25 quid at PC World.

so yeah...

AvG... Ha. :lol:

...Why can't you stay banned? ;(
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Re: Re: Re: Firewall.
    ...Why can't you stay banned? ;(

:confused:
  • Options
    I use Sygate 5. It sets itself up easily and the only user intervention required is when you start your online applications for the first time. Open them one-by-one and click "allow" and tick "remember". Running a Shields Up on grc.com gave me full stealth, but most firewalls will give you full stealth anyway.

I'm sure that most people here will vote Zone Alarm.
  • Options
    Is norton 2005 any good at all? Iv heard it uses loads of system resources.

Just for the record i use zonealarm and avg.
  • Options
    To me, 2003 was the best version of NAV. I gone off Norton when they released 2004. 2004 offered to remove spyware as well as virii, giving mixed results. Most of the adware would remove fine, but some bits would stay behind. For the bits that are left behind, NAV 2004 gives you a screen presenting you with the buttons "skip" and "exclude". The lack of a "remove" button was the reason why they stayed behind. When you close the skip/exclude screen, NAV warns you that not all threats have been removed.

For now, the spyware removal remains in the very capable hands of Ad-aware and Spybot.

We could do with setting up a dummy PC with Comet Cursor, Gator and other scum and see how the new NAV 2005 handles this!
  • Options
    ZoneAlarm messes with boradband, slows it down. Norton is a heap of shit resource hog and you have to pay for yearly subs :[].

For a software firewall I use Sygate mainly to stop certain programs accessing the net, and for a little more protection I use Protowall to stop spyware and P2P snoops. I'd recommend Sygate Pro or Outpost Pro. Both good tbh. I use AVG for an AV it's good for a freebie but sometimes it won't pick up virus on a hard drive after it's detected them.
  • Options
    Naw, ZoneAlarm fucks about with, well.. Everything.. A little too much for my liking.

What is special about 'iptables'?

It runs on Linux ;)

Best firewall, most definitely a seperate box, be it a router, PC running something, or one of the stand alone firewalls.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Firewall.
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    :confused:

Sorry. My mistake... Why can't you, when you are banned, not sign up under another username? Hence "stay banned".

Loads of people say AVG is one of the best, especially as it costs a whopping fuck-all.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firewall.
    Sorry. My mistake... Why can't you, when you are banned, not sign up under another username? Hence "stay banned".

Loads of people say AVG is one of the best, especially as it costs a whopping fuck-all.

Thanks for the replies.

Who was he before then?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Firewall.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Who was he before then?

Ah, I'm not that cruel. ;p
  • Options
    Stop the bickering please! With Dr Pirate, I believe it when I see it. So far though, he hasn't said anything abusive. As for being a new member, he already has 770 posts so that's not really new is it ;)

P.S. Is a 'hardware' firewall normally regarded as a separate computer with a software firewall on it?
  • Options
    *Capacity double-checks to see if anyone said DrPirate was a new member.

*Capacity can't find anything along those lines.

ololol