Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Computer Companies - Customer Service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which IT related companies have you had good service from when things went wrong?

I actually thought PCWorld's help line was pretty good when my cousin's laptop souncard blew.

They came - picked up the laptop and dropped it off about 9 days later. I know Dell send someone out to fix the laptop on your own premises (or they did several years ago)

Belkin also have lifetime warranties and a freephone number to call.

IBM I know didn't want to know when we got some faulty Hard Drives.

Comments

• Options
    Claranet are absoloute gobshites, terrible TERRIBLE worst ever in the world. cost me £70 odd quid

ebuyer were good, albeit only by e-mail i managed to get a £38 refund on next day priority shipping,

royal mail also good, same reason.

scan are terrible

noog's tech support is clearly the best though :), whenever my previous customers have problems im usually there the same day or the day after and have the problem fixed within 2 days. I endorse this product and/or service
  • Options
    Quiet PC and ADSLresource have been pretty good. So far Mesh has been quite bad at responding to emails and support requests. grr.
  • Options
    BT are good only when there are people that speak good, clear English.

PCWorld have been okish.
  • Options
    My ISP PlusNet have excellent CS
  • Options
    Originally posted by ben.s
    My ISP PlusNet have excellent CS

oh i have to agree, they tell you how long the queue is, if there ever is one, and if the network goes down, happens bout once or twice a year for a day, they tell you how long its going to take to fix, andtheir customer service isnt thick either but they managed toexplain to my mum who knows nothing whilst i can talk to them properly too :)

top quality
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by noog

noog's tech support is clearly the best though :), whenever my previous customers have problems im usually there the same day or the day after and have the problem fixed within 2 days. I endorse this product and/or service

Is that why my website has been offline for about 2 weeks? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    oh i have to agree, they tell you how long the queue is, if there ever is one, and if the network goes down, happens bout once or twice a year for a day, they tell you how long its going to take to fix, andtheir customer service isnt thick either but they managed toexplain to my mum who knows nothing whilst i can talk to them properly too :)

top quality

rang plusnet a while ago at 2am, could see the support staff on webcams. got the one i was talking to to stand up and wave at the camera. they are always friendly / helpful.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by TinyTitch
    rang plusnet a while ago at 2am, could see the support staff on webcams. got the one i was talking to to stand up and wave at the camera. they are always friendly / helpful.

Haha, I just checked out their support cameras and theres a woman cleaning and a couple of dudes looking at video cases and eating pizza. Bizarre.
  • Options
    I've found 1and1 hosting to be the worst custoemr service ever!!

They constantly renew domains I've already cancelled and then charge it to my credit card, it's happened like 8 times at least ad then a lengthy process of getting a refund happens.

Purplecloud are excellent hosts!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Quiet PC and ADSLresource have been pretty good.
    Quiet PC were quite good with replacing a quiet power supply that started to develop a noisy fan. They're not to far from Hull, so I was able to arrange to nip over to them and have it replaced the same day.
    However, the replacement has now developed a fault. :( The fan's ok, but the thing clicks away like a bastard. Imagine having a constantly fast ticking clock (like at least a dozen times a second) right by you on your desk), and it's driving me nuts. However, it's beyond the 12 months warranty. :( I emailed them for some advice about what the possible cause was, and all they sent back was the usual corporate crap about how it's not a user servicable unit, blah blah blah, and that they couldn't offer any advice, nor (obviously) replace it as it's passed its warranty. All I wanted was a few ideas about what the problem could be so I could see if there was any chance of getting it repaired. Last time I spend over £100 on a power supply with them if they can't even have a technical bod spend a few seconds giving a bit of advice. :(
  • Options
    Hmm, you could try replacing the fan, but the guy is right, they are not really user servicable, because if you go poking around you could prod something with high voltages in it, so I suppose they can't really recommend trying to repair them in case they get sued.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Hmm, you could try replacing the fan, but the guy is right, they are not really user servicable, because if you go poking around you could prod something with high voltages in it, so I suppose they can't really recommend trying to repair them in case they get sued.
    I have tried replacing the fan, and it's not the fan. So I've put the original fan back in. I'm not asking them to reccomend, and nor am I stupid enough to go prodding around inside a power supply. All I need to know are which components are likely to be causing the problem, and try to have them replaced. I may be able to do it myself as I do have experience with electronics assembly and soldering (was a temp job I did once), or have an expert test and replace the components. I just need an idea of where to start, and what could be causing the clicking.
    It's ok for a few minutes, but as the heat builds in the case, then the clicking starts (slowly at first, then building up over about five mins). It's driving me nuts, but I'd still rather live with the clicking that then industrial vacumn sound of a standard power supply.
    It's frustrating when you spend so much on a power supply, not to get aftersales advice. :mad: I've tried contacting Zalman via their website email form, but they've yet to get back to me, and probably never will (it's annoying when companies don't respond, or take seriously, emails). I don't think I'll be buying another Zalman power supply again, and will have a look at other manufacturers products before considering Zalman's products again. You see, this is what's annoying, a few seconds worth of advice and I'd be happy, but as it stands they may have just lost a customer, and other future customers, through ignoring me. :(
  • Options
    Ive rang NTL customer services twice and both times i have been connected to an operator within about 30 seconds and both times they have resolved my query instantly.
  • Options
    I work in tech support for a small computer company so I get some good knowledge of what manufacturers are hot or not. Shall I start?!

HP - Instant answer on the telephone (after recorded message) and then they courier a swap-out within a couple of days. With printers, they just replace the carcase of it, so make sure you hang onto your old cartridges. With scanners, they replace the lot. On a maintanence level, the HP tech advisors are very good at resolving a paper jam over the telephone.

Epson - You wait on hold for quite a long time (20 minutes). When you finally get through, they'll happy do swap-outs in HP fashion. Epson also have "Express Centres" in most large towns where you can bring the printer/scanner in to have it worked on. This is free of charge as long as it is under warranty.

Logix (and most monitor companies apart from AOC) - They answer the phone straight away and they'll do a straight swap no question. Swap-response time is about 2 days. They're fairly flexible with dates as well.

AOC - They don't openly reveal their tech support number in an attempt to get less phone calls. I had to do a bit of inside-chasing to get their number and then I phoned them, they insisted that I fill in an returns form and send it by SNAIL MAIL! The whole thing took weeks. Avoid. AOC are cheap but you get what you pay for.

Acer laptops - Their tech support line puts you on hold for variable lengths of time, but they have recently imposed a queuing system. The system tells you how many people there are in front of you. Typically there are 10 people in front of you and you will reach the front after about five minutes. Their new hold music is FANTASTIC! Download it on www.freeplaymusic.com and search for "loving you".. a sexy r'n'b track. Anyway, when you've discussed the hardware problem on your Acer laptop, they'll take it away from you by courier and then give it back to you after one working week. Sometime it takes a bit longer if they're awaiting replacement parts.

Toshiba and Sony laptops - Similar to Acer.

There ya go!
  • Options
    Pioneer were great with replacing my DVD drive when it went wrong, even though it was just out of the 12 month warranty. :thumb:

Belinea were great when my monitor packed up a couple of years ago. Delivered a new one within a few days, though that happened to be faulty, and it took a couple of attempts to get right, but I was happy that they kept trying until they got it right. So :thumb: to them too. :)
  • Options
    Mr Wobble, I've not dealt with Belinea but it sounds pretty much on par with the other monitor manufacturers (apart from AOC). Their support are all pretty good. On the business of having a faulty monitor replaced with yet another faulty monitor, that did happen with Logix once.