Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I get more memory?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise the title sounds as if I'm stupid but what I really mean is what do I need to do?

Do I go into PC World and get a package and insert it myself or do they send out a Techie?

My PC has 192MB RAM which kind of shocked me since I thought it had more and I figured since I'm going to have a bit of money coming in I could buy more memory to make up to 256MB. How do I do it?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    hmmm, well, basics if you don't already know them:

there are different types of memory, these are seldom compatible with each other. Most common type is sdram, unless its brand new where it will be ddr.

on the motherboard (the mainboard inside your computer) there are slots to put memory on. Depending how many of these are used you should have free slots. By the soudns of things I would guess you have 3 sticks of 64mb sdram, but that is just guesswork (when people put computers together they try to do it evenly, it's just good practice, though they do work with different amounts to a degree).

also, you need to find out the fsb speed of your memory, normally this is about 133mhz, but can be more or less depending.

a good way to find out how many ramslots you have free is to download sisoft sandra, but the best way is to really open up your pc and have a look.

when you buy memory (ram = random access memory) you simply get a stick. this needs to go into your computer. at pc world they will charge you to do it, but if you have someone with a bit of computer know how i bet theyd be happy to do it for £10 cos it's an easy enough job (if it's compatible memory and everything).

eta: are you sure adding memory is the most cost effective increase to performance? i mean, it probably will be, but sometimes if the rest of your computer sucks then adding extra memory wont hurt. 256mb ram is about the norm these days though.
  • Options
    I recommend going to 512mb if you can afford it. I'm running on 1028mb, but if you get the 512 you can leave it to last for a while without needing to update again.
  • Options
    Or get four 512 sticks.. I can get a stick of 512 for DDR - 45quid :D
  • Options
    It depends on what you're doing. Movies and sound need more ram to run smoothly, as do games with big graphics. But word processing and the like doesn't need it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Or get four 512 sticks.. I can get a stick of 512 for DDR - 45quid :D

it's hardly gonna be kingston quality though is it? :p
  • Options
    256 will run most things fine. Some games may lag. 512 will run just about anything, apart from big modelling crap that you are quite unlikely to use. Lets put things into perspective here. And hellfire, no offense but this thread isn't about you showing off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    it's hardly gonna be kingston quality though is it? :p

oh yes.. just knocked off ;) lol..

anyway yes.. 256 is fine but try for 512
  • Options
    I use this PC for occasional movies and games. I mostly use it for downloading, internet access and playing music.

I got SiSoft Sandra and I looked at the "Windows Memory" bit.

Total System Memory: 570 MB
    Free System Memory: 139 MB
    Total Physical Memory: 191 MB
    Free Physical Memory: 47 MB

Suggestions?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    I use this PC for occasional movies and games. I mostly use it for downloading, internet access and playing music.

I got SiSoft Sandra and I looked at the "Windows Memory" bit.

Total System Memory: 570 MB
    Free System Memory: 139 MB
    Total Physical Memory: 191 MB
    Free Physical Memory: 47 MB

Suggestions?

go on mainboard information in sandra
    then scroll down to 'system memory controller' should say something along the following lines:

System Memory Controller
    Error Correction Capability : None
    Number of Memory Slots : 2
    Maximum Installable Memory : 2GB
    Bank0/1 - A0 : Empty
    Bank2/3 - A1 : None None None None DIMM 512MB

* this shows the total amount of slots on my motherboard; 2
    * this shows that in bay 1 i have nothing, and in bay 2 I have one 512MB.

if you scroll down further it should say logical / chipset 1 memory banks, and there it should say something like 64MB SDRAM for each bank, or whatever you have. Then where it says speed, tell me what that says. Mines 166x2 (because it's ddr) but i bet yours is 133. Might be 166 though...
  • Options
    Sorry to butt in here but im curious, i ran Sisoft...

It says :

System Memory Controller
    Maximum Installable Memory : 512mb
    Bank0/1 - A0 : DIMM sync SDRAM 256MB/8 @ 133mt/s
    Bank2/3 - A1 : DIMM sync SDRAM 256MB/8 @ 133mt/s

But under "system information" It says :

Main board total memory :
    239mb SDRAM.

Chipset 1 :
    Total memory 256mb SDRAM

Can anyone enlighten me a little here :confused:
  • Options
    OK I went on and got this:

Maximum Installable Memory : 2GB

Physical/BIOS Memory Banks

DDR0: Empty
    DDR1: 256MB DIMM SDRAM Double-Bank

Max FSB Speed/ Memory Speed: 4 x 133Mhz

Chipset 1 Memory Bank

Bank 0: 256MB DDR-SDRAM

Hope this makes sense to you cause it doesn't to me :lol:
  • Options
    ok, copy and paste the entire thing. Better make it size 1, or better yet, put it in a notepad file and save it, then make it an attatchment. .txt extension. because there are different bits of information... where you say Max FSB Speed/ Memory Speed: 4 x 133Mhz i think this may be relating to the cpu max fsb setting, but im not sure. according to what you've said you should already have 256mb ram, perhaps it's reporting incorrectly. The good side is though it looks like you probably will be able to upgrade, i think.

and richeh, not sure what's going on there :confused: how much ram is your computer supposed to have. sandra isn't completely perfect because sometimes things don't report properly, but it's the best you get without opening up your pc and physically having a look (which isn't that hard, but you know...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

and richeh, not sure what's going on there :confused: how much ram is your computer supposed to have. sandra isn't completely perfect because sometimes things don't report properly, but it's the best you get without opening up your pc and physically having a look (which isn't that hard, but you know...)

Its only sposed to have 256MB RAM :confused:

( ive alredy popped open the side panel on an occasion, well seen it done, and yeh it was easy..
  • Options
    Here you go :)
  • Options
    something wrong with my computer, i cant download it. will do so at school :thumb:
  • Options
    The reason why it says you only have 192MB of RAM is because 64MB of that is taken by your gfx card which in onboard.

256 - 64 = 192 :).
  • Options
    if you wished to, im pretty sure you could get another 256mb stick of sd ram. shouldnt set you back too much either:

ebuyer prices

but you may be able to slot some ddr ram, in there which is about twice as powerful, but more expensive. :chin:
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys :thumb:

I'll have a look around. I have an insurance thing with PC World so I think it has to be done with their products and stuff.
  • Options
    Can i just ask ...
    System Memory Controller
    Maximum Installable Memory : 512mb
    Bank0/1 - A0 : DIMM sync SDRAM 256MB/8 @ 133mt/s
    Bank2/3 - A1 : DIMM sync SDRAM 256MB/8 @ 133mt/s

239mb SDRAM.

Chipset 1 :
    Total memory 256mb SDRAM

My pc only has 256mb sdram, i know what shyboy said about Sisoft Sandra not reading it properly but i am right in thinking it has reported that i have 256 + 256.. ie 1 x 256mb ram in each memory bank... but that is wrong isnt it :confused:

~ edit ~ Also, do i have to have ram in both[/B] the memory baks slots or can i run with say one 512mb ram stick ??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh

239mb SDRAM.

Chipset 1 :
    Total memory 256mb SDRAM

Can anyone enlighten me a little here :confused:

You lose 16MB because you have shared memory on your graphics card, most like the Intel Extreme Graphics which comes integrated with a lot of new motherboards. If you want to free that memory, you need to install a proper graphics card (Geforce) and turn off the onboard graphics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    If you want to free that memory, you need to install a proper graphics card (Geforce) and turn off the onboard graphics.

Leads me to my next question how do you generally turn off your shared graphics card ?
  • Options
    You have to go into the BIOS. This is a piece of software/hardware that appears on your screen before you see the Windows logo. The BIOS screen normally appears in the form of a logo such as "Mainboard" or a company's logo such as Dell or Acer. While you see this screen, you need to press the DEL button. All going well, you'll enter menu in plain text on a blue background. Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight "integrated perhiperhals" and find the entry in there that corresponds to your onboard graphics.

Make sure that you have your new gfx card plugged in before turning off onboard otherwise you will not see anything!!!