Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Memory Sticks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to get one of those flash memory sticks for uni etc since i'm travelling from home.

But i'm not sure if the ones on sale now...(pny/disgo/iomega etc...) which are designed for USB2.0 ports can work on the USB1.1 (old ones) ports without the need of a driver, since the uni administrator wont allow anything to be installed. Anyone able to help? :p

I've already checked that they dont need drivers for windows ME so that's sorted.

Thanx in advance

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure it works on the same principle, but my printer uses USB 2 while my PC has 1.1. It still works, though not at maximum transfer speed.
    And, all the memory sticks I've seen need to temporarily install some drivers on the computer in order to work.
  • Options
    some memory sticks will work straight away, but that's more with xp. but if you're worried about wasting money; check out ebay. you can pick up a good one for £5!
  • Options
    I brought a 64MB stick off eBay for £12 including postage. You can get 512MB ones at the £40 mark, where shops are still selling them at double that price.

Windows 2000 picks up the pen drive fine, but it's annoying having to go through the eject hardware wizard every time I want to unplug the disk.
  • Options
    Aye, USB 2 stuff *should* work on the older USB version, but there's no guarantee. More important will be a suitably compatible OS.
  • Options
    If you've got ME or better, most sticks should work without installing anything. Sometimes Windows will go looking for the driver for it, but the stick should be near enough plug and play. Generally, whatever you've got will work - if one's 1.1 and the other's 2.0, it'll work at 1.1 speed. If they're both 2.0, it'll work at 2.0 speed. Speed is the only real difference between the different formats.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Me_and
    If you've got ME or better...

LOL! Anything is better than Win Me!
  • Options
    I have a IBM Travelstar 20gb microdrive which connects to the usb ports on the front of the system =) .

afaik all usb micropen drive yokeys should work aslong as the computers are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP Home/Pro...