Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why didnt we care about the para-olympics?

The UK did really really well, coming in second in medal terms and getting a fist full of gold medals.

Why did it get virtually no media coverage on the news compared to our relatively poor performance in the normal olympics?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Why didnt we care about the para-olympics?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The UK did really really well, coming in second in medal terms and getting a fist full of gold medals.

Why did it get virtually no media coverage on the news compared to our relatively poor performance in the normal olympics?

Probably because it's a PC minefield out there. Say one thing wrong and before you know it there's millions of people attacking your newspaper or network for being biased against disabled people.
  • Options
    Because watching disabled people doing sport isn't as fun or exciting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

I don't know, watching a man with one leg doing the high jump is quite exciting in my opinion...
  • Options

Why? Whats the difference?
  • Options
    Why? Whats the difference?

I don't know, I know i sound harsh but sport is about the prowess, strength, ability, and even though a disabled person on the field who achieves so much in spite of his disability is an amazing feat, for me watching it isn't as good as able bodied people.
  • Options
    I don't know, I know i sound harsh but sport is about the prowess, strength, ability, and even though a disabled person on the field who achieves so much in spite of his disability is an amazing feat, for me watching it isn't as good as able bodied people.

This is going to sound so anti-disabled people, like i'm laughing at the fact that they're disabled. I'm not, but look at some of the devices they've come up with to allow them to compete! The little aluminium legs for one. They're quite funny really. Make them look like Storks hunting for fish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    This is going to sound so anti-disabled people, like i'm laughing at the fact that they're disabled. I'm not, but look at some of the devices they've come up with to allow them to compete! The little aluminium legs for one. They're quite funny really. Make them look like Storks hunting for fish.

I'd like to see you run the 100m that fast with a metal leg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I'd like to see you run the 100m that fast with a metal leg.

Totally missing the point here. I never said anything to suggest that they were any less worthy of praise for doing it, I just said that the leg looks rather amusing.
  • Options
    paralympics is far and away better than regular olympics...

sure it takes skill to be good at something, but it takes heart as well to overcome a disability and still kick someone's ass.

swimming for example, i was absolutely fucking amazed...................

there were guys there swimming with no legs and some with no arms, that in itself is more amazing than a fully able bodied person doing the same.

and the blind distance runner from africa, he did the last olympics and literally ran everyone into the ground including his fucking guide! he did the 10,000m literally DRAGGING the guide around the track, after he'd gotten across the line the guide just collapsed.

he runs guides in relay now :D paralympics, home of the 'core

\m/
  • Options
    People who don't like paralympians show more about themselves that anything else.

Take the 100m, a guy with one leg is within half a second of the Olympic record. That's damn good, and an even bigger feat that the regular lot.

Tanni Grey-Thompson is the greatest athlete Britain has ever produced, period.

As for wheelchair rugby- those guys are fucking nutters! It's amazing :hyper:
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    and the blind distance runner from africa, he did the last olympics and literally ran everyone into the ground including his fucking guide! he did the 10,000m literally DRAGGING the guide around the track, after he'd gotten across the line the guide just collapsed.

Reminds me of that Spaniard who said he was "blind", and dragegd the guide arounmd the track. They made him wear a blindfold next time, and he fell over his feet :lol:
  • Options

'Strength'? What is 'strength'?

I think that somebody who over comes the loss of their legs and later goes on to do atheltics is a strong person.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    'Strength'? What is 'strength'?

I think that somebody who over comes the loss of their legs and later goes on to do atheltics is a strong person.

I do agree, and i did say in my post it is an amazing feat that these people are on the sports fields, but a disabled person isn't going to have a much strength as an abled body of the same ability in the same sport are they?
  • Options
    but a disabled person isn't going to have a much strength as an abled body of the same ability in the same sport are they?

Yes.

Look at the 100m sprint times.
  • Options
    Re: Why didnt we care about the para-olympics?

BBC2 had a programme every night, and FiveLive had regular updates as well as some events live.

Which is more than many other sports ever get. So a little perspective is needed.

However, I totally agree that more coverage should have happened and personally find it more rewarding to watch these athletes than those who are hyped beyond belief. Paula Radcliffe, eat your heart out...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Why didnt we care about the para-olympics?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    BBC2 had a programme every night, and FiveLive had regular updates as well as some events live.

Which is more than many other sports ever get. So a little perspective is needed.

However, I totally agree that more coverage should have happened and personally find it more rewarding to watch these athletes than those who are hyped beyond belief. Paula Radcliffe, eat your heart out...

I know there was coverage, but compared to the real one, just imagine the coverage it would have got if we had gotten that many golds.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Why didnt we care about the para-olympics?
    I know there was coverage, but compared to the real one, just imagine the coverage it would have got if we had gotten that many golds.

I agree.

It's almost a dead-cert that Kelly Holmes will become "Sports Personality" this year for her double gold - somthing which I agree was a terrific achievement.

Sir Steve Redgrave won it previously for his five golds, plus he got knighted.

Then compare them both to Tanny Grey-Thompson who now has eleven golds spanning three olympics. Truly remarkable...
  • Options
    But, Steve Redgrave did do it over 5 seperate olympics, thats a long time to stay top of your game. Its impressive.