Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phono - phono / scart to phono

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basicly I'm hooking my stereo upto my tv but one problem.. I want to use a phono to phono lead as i only have one scart on my tv and its used by my tv player,

The Tv has the sockets on the front of it for a phono but the colors are wrong, on a phono lead you got red and white ends, and on a phono/video you have the added yello, (i have that for my Gamecube) anyway my tv only has the White and Yellow socket (for a video lead) and doesn't have the read, so i try to hook it up anyway all i get is static, i use the scart works fine, i don't mind using a scart but means moving my room around as It's to short (barely reaches and is across the top of my bed) anyway I was thinking about getting a multi scart adapter but then i heard you can have two things hooked up eg stero and dvd player but can only use one at a time and switch between the two, is this true? if not i'll get an adapter as sound will be better with scart anyway,

Also what are my other options any chance of getting the phono to work?

This is what i have (phono lead)
CABA001.jpg

This is what is on the front of my tv
(you cant see it well but its got two holes, one yellow and one white)
toshiba-14n21b.jpg

I also have a
scart_2_phono_1590666.jpg
but its to short and need an extra scart socket
ecd528008h.jpg

but i dunno if it'll work at the same time as my Dvd player,

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, the multi-SCART adapter should do it. Check the back of your TV for more female phono sockets though. Usually the ones on the front are for quick access with video cameras etc., and aren't meant for long-term use.
  • Options
    Your tv only has the white because the phono inputs are not stereo. If you attach the yellow to yellow and the red to the white it should work fine, albeit in mono.
  • Options
    Also, you may find, depending on how intelligent your tv is, that if you have inputs into both the front panel connectors and the scart, that the devices interfere with each other if they are both turned on at the same time.
  • Options
    Oh, what channel are you using when you connect the phono sockets? If not the AV channel, use that.
  • Options
    Just read your thing again, if you are attaching a non-video source, then just plug in the red lead into the red input, ignore the yellow one, that is composite video in and plugging a sound input into it will do you no good at all.
  • Options
    Scart splitter should work it. Especially if you have more than one AV channel, you can tune each scart deeli into each channel job done.
  • Options
    Re: Phono - phono / scart to phono
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    anyway I was thinking about getting a multi scart adapter but then i heard you can have two things hooked up eg stero and dvd player but can only use one at a time and switch between the two, is this true?

With the multi-scart adaptor you can only use one input at a time, yes, obviously.

If you have more than one input plugged into the scart adaptor at any one time that are both turned on, then you will experience interference, unless it is a good quality one that will only listen to one source at the same time, or a switchable one.

You don't actually need to buy any more hardware, though.
  • Options
    see im confusied.. u said plug the red - red but there is no red socket,

if i plug the white in alone.. no work, it should work with any channel and the stereo function is set to the phono/video setting, although when i do plug the red - yellow and white - white i get interference.. but no sound.
  • Options
    see im confusied.. u said plug the red - red but there is no red socket,

if i plug the white in alone.. no work, it should work with any channel and the stereo function is set to the phono/video setting, although when i do plug the red - yellow and white - white i get interference.. but no sound.

Don't plug anything into the yellow hole, that's for video input.

Plug *one* of your red or white leads into the other hole. One of them should work, but it will be mono only.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Don't plug anything into the yellow hole, that's for video input.

Plug *one* of your red or white leads into the other hole. One of them should work, but it will be mono only.

:no: didn't work, i tried that last night just got static ect :(
  • Options
    get a switchable scart from argos *goes to find code*

534/2361

it's a 3 scart adaptor and works really well, zero interference and has an rgb button. i have to keep unplugging things though because i have a vast array of consoles sat under the tv :rolleyes:

you'll also need one of these

534/2354

though depending on how much cash/how good a picture you want you could spend more... though if you're running the standard lead from your gamecube you're getting nowhere near the best picture from it. ideally you should go to ntsc-uk.com and hassle a guy called 'saurian' to knock you up an rgb cable (£35), though he's currently away in japan on business :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thanks but i cant use my stereo surround sound if u ise a switchable one can I?

Well thanks i'll look into it :D
  • Options
    the switch box has 'tv output' on it... i can't claim to be knowledgeable about stereo equipment but i'm assuming it'd work.

or perhaps not. *shrugs*
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    the switch box has 'tv output' on it... i can't claim to be knowledgeable about stereo equipment but i'm assuming it'd work.

or perhaps not. *shrugs*

Worth a shot I suppose,
  • Options
    thanks but i cant use my stereo surround sound if u ise a switchable one can I?

Well thanks i'll look into it :D

You wont get proper surround sound anyway unless you use a digital output and input.