Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

essex girls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Aren't.

It's quite simple really.

Essex girls are not essex girls. They are East London girls. They have migrated slowly towards Chelmsford and now consider themselves to be from Essex. This therefore means that many people I know who live in Essex have to avoid mentioning where they live for fear of being associated with the stereotype of the Essex individual.

If I hear one more idiotic girl and her friends mentioning the fact that they're 'Essex girls' in that ridiculous Estuarine accent, I will scream.

If most of the country heard what an Essex accent REALLY sounds like, they'd be shocked. Think Gloucestershire.

Comments

• Options
    The newer essex accent is quite a lot different from the old essex accent that elderly essex people have. The newer one has a lot of London in it for reasons youve mentioned, but it is undeniably the essex accent of today. What is sad is that people get ashamed of their accents. I personally dont have that much of an accent, but I do slip into it sometimes when im around other people talking like that,
  • Options
    i dont like jodie marsh :no:
  • Options
    Re: essex girls
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Aren't.

It's quite simple really.

Essex girls are not essex girls.

I',m shocked that someone actually realises this! lol

Thankyou, finally someone realises that we are not slags, theres plenty of slags all over britain,we won't just shag you because we live in Essex you know!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i dont like jodie marsh :no:

argh me neither, shes just making it harder for us Essex girls to shake off the bloody name!
  • Options
    Re: Re: essex girls
    Originally posted by **sugar**
    I',m shocked that someone actually realises this! lol

Thankyou, finally someone realises that we are not slags, theres plenty of slags all over britain,we won't just shag you because we live in Essex you know!

Not at all, i know lots of Essex people who can't say where they live for fear of what people will think of them! I have to tell people I come from London because I could say Essex.... hmm..... or I could say East London...... erm...... I'll stick with London!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    Not at all, i know lots of Essex people who can't say where they live for fear of what people will think of them! I have to tell people I come from London because I could say Essex.... hmm..... or I could say East London...... erm...... I'll stick with London!

yeah i know a few people like that too, a friend of mine who ive just been away with told people she was from London.
    i don't really care though i tell people i meet that i'm from Essex, they can think what they like but its all a load of rubbish! :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: essex girls
    we won't just shag you because we live in Essex you know!

Tell the boys that live here that though...

Actually...some guy sent me a thing on face-pic asking to have sex with me, I said no, and he said "sorry, I didn't realise you were a virgin" :rolleyes: .

I should have checked where he lived really...
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*

Actually...some guy sent me a thing on face-pic asking to have sex with me, I said no, and he said "sorry, I didn't realise you were a virgin" :rolleyes: .

what a charming young man...

doesn't it make you so PROUD to share the same social freedom as these clowns?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*

Do you think Essex Boys think we are two then? alot of boys don't think it that i know compared to girls they have met from elsewhere.
    its not where you live, its pathetic ahhh well!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    Do you think Essex Boys think we are two then? alot of boys don't think it that i know compared to girls they have met from elsewhere.
    its not where you live, its pathetic ahhh well!

i sometimes feel like around here is the only place in the world that fosters the diabolical blonde hair, the excessive hoopy earrings and the nonsensical drivel that seems to have been weened from african culture... plus the male apeism, the obsession with hanging things from their necks - be it mobile phones (seriously, get a life, it's a mobile phone, if i was a good enough thief i'd nick it just to teach them a lesson), or enough chain to pull a truck along (what's the point of looking like jacob marley?), in addition the personal security collective that springs up, the fact that they all seem to feel the need to gather in a mass of at least 10 to disguise how socially and physically insecure they all are.

and why is it there always seems to be a group of three or four guys and one girl wandering around? two i could understand, but one? it doesn't seem to actually make sense. oh well....
  • Options
    That's pathetic, though. People can be slags no matter where they live. Yeh, there's jokes about Essex girls, but anyone with half a brain realises it's a stereotype (Unlike the guys on friday night, obviously). No one should 'fear' telling people where they live. Unless they're from the Ghetto, innit. Or unless the person that they are telling is a mass-murderer. But thats a whole different board game. Gooodddd, shut up.

Anyway, Dr_Carter, it seems you beleive the stereotype...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    That's pathetic, though. People can be slags no matter where they live. Yeh, there's jokes about Essex girls, but anyone with half a brain realises it's a stereotype (Unlike the guys on friday night, obviously). No one should 'fear' telling people where they live. Unless they're from the Ghetto, innit. Or unless the person that they are telling is a mass-murderer. But thats a whole different board game. Gooodddd, shut up.

Anyway, Dr_Carter, it seems you beleive the stereotype...

I know they can be slags wherever they live. However, when one is applying to reputable universities, one doesn't wish to portray the image that one is from an unintelligent background. You can deny it if you want, but Essex is full of builders, plumbers and electricians from East London who have made a bit of cash, probably by not declaring all of their income, and have decided to purchase a place further from London. This is not always the type of people academics might like talking to. I don't believe the stereotype, although like anywhere, it applies to some of the people. However, if one is dealing with the rest of ones future, one must make exceptions and pander to the prejudices of those who are interviewing you.
  • Options
    Do you think Essex Boys think we are two then?

Try coming to Braintree...they all think we are Sex On Legs. Unless we aren't "girly girls". Although even I get beeped CONSTANTLY when I walk into town. I could be wearing the least revealing top I own, and the least flattering trousers and it's still "Let's all beep at Franki"

I swear...I sometimes think I must have "Beep At Me" inscribed into my head.
  • Options
    i can't walk down my street here in spain sometimes with out being called a whore.....and thats sad. :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    However, when one is applying to reputable universities, one doesn't wish to portray the image that one is from an unintelligent background.
    I don't come from an unintelligent background, thankyou. So, do Universtities not look at what A Level grades you get then? Maybe I should drop VI Form afterall.
    You can deny it if you want, but Essex is full of builders, plumbers and electricians.
    Yes. Only builders, plumbers and electricians live in Essex. We have no doctors, lawyers, or anything of the sort. It's ashame, really.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    I don't come from an unintelligent background, thankyou. So, do Universtities not look at what A Level grades you get then? Maybe I should drop VI Form afterall.
    Yes. Only builders, plumbers and electricians live in Essex. We have no doctors, lawyers, or anything of the sort. It's ashame, really.

That was not my point and you know it.

The last thing you want to allow any university admissions tutor to think is 'delinquent idiot' or anything of the sort. Sadly, as many of them haven't ever left educational establishments, they don't really see the real world. Hence, they are more likely to be swayed by the stereotype. Of course they look at A-Level grades, but they also have the option to decline you a place based on the fact that they didn't like you as a person. They're not supposed to but they could. What're you going to do about it?

I'm not saying only builders, electricians and plumbers live in Essex. I'm saying that many of the people from the M25 to Chelmsford, and particularly in LBH and Southend, do come from such a background.
  • Options
    but people dont actually believe essex people are slappers. When they say it, theyre just trying to be funny(and failing). I think people judge others more on the way they are when speaking to them, rather than by their address. Some people may get judged unfairly if they have a particularly strong accent, but you get that with a strong accent from anywhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    but people dont actually believe essex people are slappers. When they say it, theyre just trying to be funny(and failing). I think people judge others more on the way they are when speaking to them, rather than by their address. Some people may get judged unfairly if they have a particularly strong accent, but you get that with a strong accent from anywhere.

Actually, they do. I've had discussions with far too many Americans, Canadians, Australians, South Africans - many of whom have heard of Essex and know the reputation it has unfortunately developed.

I'm so lucky I speak like Hugh Grant...
  • Options
    oh right, it has never caused me any trouble at all so far.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    they also have the option to decline you a place based on the fact that they didn't like you as a person.
    But my personality isn't affected by the fact that I live in Essex, moron. I don't speak like a twat, I don't dress like a twat, and my legs aren't open 24/7 for drunkards on the way home. The whole Essex thing is a stereotype, and everyone knows it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls
    But my personality isn't affected by the fact that I live in Essex, moron. I don't speak like a twat, I don't dress like a twat, and my legs aren't open 24/7 for drunkards on the way home. The whole Essex thing is a stereotype, and everyone knows it.

same here :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: essex girls

Well done. You've identified exactly what i've been saying. Congratulations.
  • Options
    OMG, THANKS ;D
  • Options
    It's a massive sterotype, you get plenty of SSS (Short Skirt Slappers) all over the UK. You don't even have to talk to these things to tell, you can tell they're cheap and easy just by looking at them.

Anyway, yeah. Essex probably gets an unfair reputation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    It's a massive sterotype, you get plenty of SSS (Short Skirt Slappers) all over the UK. You don't even have to talk to these things to tell, you can tell they're cheap and easy just by looking at them.

Anyway, yeah. Essex probably gets an unfair reputation.

But the point is, no matter how much you argue that it is a stereotype, there are 60 year old men in tweed jackets who have spent all of their lives in a university that believe the stereotype, and therefore the second you mention where you live, you are instantly branded in their mind. you can tell me not every essex person is like this until the cows come home, and i'll be the first to agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that there are people that do believe the stereotype, and where universities are concerned you don't really want to take the chance.
  • Options
    I guess people must believe it in a way, for instance I remember fairly recently on student forum, someone mentioned Essex university being a good university to go to (amongst others) and there were people on here really taking the piss out of it, as though it couldnt possibly be a decent uni.
    Maybe I havent found it a problem in my life is because I am generally around other essex people, therefore its not even an issue. When im away from home I may mention the town im from rather than the county, but I generally get more comments about military prisons than about it being in Essex.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    :blush: Yes, I do have that pull on woman.

but men keep coming too!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Surely some terrible mistake has been made here - it sounds as though you're stereotyping university tutors as tweed wearing, socially unaware old men. And you couldn't have meant to do that after your little rant about Essex stereotypes, could you?

Well, like there are some essex people who are complete slags and speak like an East End girl, there are some university tutors who are tweed wearing and socially unaware. It's not avoidable, but you never really know who you're talking to. I prefer to play it safe personally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    i can't walk down my street here in spain sometimes with out being called a whore.....and thats sad. :(

:confused: