Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CGI programs,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know any good programs I can use to create CGI 3D animations/images? if so names please?

Comments

• Options
    its amazing what you can find if you use a search engine!
  • Options
    3d studio max and maya are the industry standards.

3d studio you can get for a 'student' license at £900. otherwise it's £3500.

not sure if maya is available for anything less than full retail (£4k) as i've never used it.

max is awesome though. you can play around with the program (if you're gonna acquite illegally) but you'll get nowhere fast. ideally you need to go to an evening class at college where you can be taught basics through to full on skeletal modelling/animation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    3d studio max and maya are the industry standards.

3d studio you can get for a 'student' license at £900. otherwise it's £3500.

not sure if maya is available for anything less than full retail (£4k) as i've never used it.

max is awesome though. you can play around with the program (if you're gonna acquite illegally) but you'll get nowhere fast. ideally you need to go to an evening class at college where you can be taught basics through to full on skeletal modelling/animation.

dont do it at ours (the course) and bloody expensive but.. I might download it,
  • Options
    have a look for gmax, i remember that from somewhere
  • Options
    I think rhinosoft do a free to students version,

and there is Blender

lego car
  • Options
    I'm sure theyre is a trial version of Maya.

3D Studio Max (aka 3DS Max) - you can download their free lite version, called Gmax.

There's another one out there called Ligthwave too.

Maya & 3DS Max are the two main programs used in the CGI industry.
  • Options
    Well i got 3dstudio max 6.0 :D
  • Options
    good luck figuring everything out :p

3dcafe.com (i think, it was years since i did 3dstudio at college) had some really good tutorials.
  • Options
    good luck figuring everything out :p

3dcafe.com (i think, it was years since i did 3dstudio at college) had some really good tutorials.

came with a tutorial.PDF but means i need Adobe acrocrap reader :(
  • Options
    you wanna be careful when downloading programs as it's been known that the developers to put on versions of their own stuff loaded with viruses as a way of getting back at tea leaves.

on occasion it's been known that after about a week of you using it, you load up the program and it'll delete all your saved files as a nice little 'fuck you'.

so take care ;)
  • Options
    you wanna be careful when downloading programs as it's been known that the developers to put on versions of their own stuff loaded with viruses as a way of getting back at tea leaves.

on occasion it's been known that after about a week of you using it, you load up the program and it'll delete all your saved files as a nice little 'fuck you'.

so take care ;)

oh i scanned the application file with avg.. i haven't installed it yet but any file i download gets scanned with AVG then an online virus cheeker to be sure :) im always safe when it comes to my computer :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    oh i scanned the application file with avg.. i haven't installed it yet but any file i download gets scanned with AVG then an online virus cheeker to be sure :) im always safe when it comes to my computer :D

it's not a regular virus, it's simply a command inside the program which causes the removal of work. which is why a virus checker won't find it.
  • Options
    Well looks like its only compatable with 2000 sp3 or Xp :(
  • Options
    try release 3... it's a good few years old but it's still the same program, i had it for win98.
  • Options
    try release 3... it's a good few years old but it's still the same program, i had it for win98.

Thanks mate :thumb: