Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good points about long distance/uni relationships?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend of seven months left for university 80 miles away this morning, and even though it's only been hours since he left, I really miss him and I keep crying! We love each other very much and have said we're staying together no matter what and neither of us will cheat on each other, and I trust him, but I know it's gonna be really hard because we're only going to see each other every two weekends, when we ususally see each other every day. I'm planning to go to the same university as him next year, but it's still gonna be really hard to cope this year.

I know there's gotta be loads of other people going through this, probably worse off than me! So I was just wondering if those of you who've had long distance/uni relationships can post good points and success stories about them..cus I'm trying to be positive about this but it's really hard.

Comments

• Options
    i just want to say that you shouldn't make any promises to each other right now.

in my experience, you will change as a person more in the first year of uni than at any other point in your life. you might find that after a while you're not right for each other any more. you might grow in different directions, and that's ok too.

i saw it happen so many times. even for people who were adamant when they arrived at uni that their boyfriend was THE ONE. when i started uni, i was engaged, ffs. but i changed, and he changed, and we both ended up completely wrong for each other.
  • Options
    As much as I know not of these things, I can say that kaff's probably right. Don't make promises. You might feel that way now, but things and people change.
  • Options
    It can work. I started going out with my girlfriend just before i started my second year at University, and that was 250 miles away!

Worst thing being i never saw her for months on end, but we saw the whole thing through, we kept in touch loads, and kept reminding each other how much we wanted to be together.

As it so happens, im back home for a placement year, we're still together too. We're stronger than ever, it goes to show that maybe (in a cheesy way) absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Sorry for highjacking your thread, but rather than start a very similar one, I thought I'd ask this here...

My bf is going back to Uni next Saturday. We've been together for three months, tho been close-ish mates (he had another gf most of the time) for about four years - so he's obviously done the long distance thing before, and so knows what to expect. I think we'll be okay with the distance - we're both reasonably secure and independent people and I trust him 100% (and assume he's the same).

But anyway, my question is.. What did you do on your last week / weekend together before your partner/you went off to uni, miles away?

I've got some time off work this weekend, then I'm going back to work for three days, then he goes. I haven't really given much thought to the actual day he goes.. don't know when we're going to get chance to see each other, etc. We're going out with my work friends (who he hasn't really met yet) the night before but am trying to think of something to do to make Saturday special, but not too upsetting... Any ideas, anyone? :) Ta!