Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Domestic violence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We always hear about women who live with domestic violence but rarely hear about men who can suffer with it on a daily basis.
Its great that we are now recognising that men can suffer with violence and there is a refuge available to them in this area, the first of its kind. Others are due to open in different regions in the future.

Ive often wondered what it would be like for a man to live with domestic violence, you just dont think it can happen. You just never know what goes on behind closed doors.

The following is copied and pasted from www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk (my local paper)
THE first refuge for male victims of domestic violence in Britain is to be set up in the region.

The purpose-built unit will be run by the charity It Does Happen, based in County Durham, and will offer men and their children a secure place to escape from abuse.

The facility will offer home comforts on a par with a travel hotel and 24-hour counselling and support services.

The charity is run by Mike, a County Durham man who was himself a victim of abuse.

"One of the things you lose through domestic violence, that can never be fully replaced, is self esteem," he said.

"Having this environment will provide a platform for the restructuring of some of that self respect."

It follows the success of the charity's website and 24-hour support network set up at the beginning of this month, which has already had 12,000 visitors.

The North-East refuge will open in December, in time to help men and their children before Christmas.

A further six centres are planned across the UK, to open next year.

The announcement was made at the Step Into The Future event, a conference on domestic violence held in the Derwent Manor Hotel, Allensford, near Consett, County Durham, yesterday.

It looked at all aspects of domestic violence, from attacks on women to much less well-publicised abuse, such as same sex violence in gay or lesbian relationships, abuse of older people and domestic violence carried out by women on men.

About 150 delegates from across the region attended the pioneering event, which was organised by the Derwentside Domestic Violence Forum.

The guest of honour was Erin Pizzey, the founder of the first women's refuge, who led the campaign in the 1970s to highlight domestic violence.

"This is unique in the whole country," she said. It is the first inclusive conference to accept that domestic violence can happen to anyone."

She praised the work of the forum and Derwentside District Council. "It is unusual to find the forum and other agencies such as the council all singing from the same hymn sheet," she said.

"They are utterly dedicated to eradicating domestic violence in this area and I have great faith that they will do it."

For details about It Does Happen, contact 07800 647379 or visit the website, www.itdoeshappen.org

I had to copy it because the link wasnt taking you to the right story (although it did earier).

Comments

• Options
    It's certainly interesting.

Though I'd think that a man being abused by a woman is sooner or later (and more likely to than a woman abused by a man) hit back.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Though I'd think that a man being abused by a woman is sooner or later (and more likely to than a woman abused by a man) hit back.
    Don't be that sure... I'm sure that not everyone would.

One problem men could have with this is insecurity: They might think that everyone will be laughing at them if they hear they'd been beaten up by a woman, so probably many of them don't.
    Now that I think about it, if they don't say it then they're more likely to hit back. And since more women than men would tell someone if they were being abused, possibly this is why lesswomen hit back. (I hope I constructed this paragraph well enough to be understood).

And, Becky, the link points to an article on transplants.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor

And, Becky, the link points to an article on transplants.

It did work earlier, I dunno whats up. Anyways ive copied and pasted the article and put it into my first post.

Thanks for letting us know :)
  • Options
    The Northern Echo, using the thisis... website, end up chaging articles every day or two. Gits.

I read the article in the Echo too, I'm very pleased.
  • Options
    It's certainly interesting.

you say its an opinion, but why do you say that, the victims of domestic violence tend to be under psychological control more than physical, as they tend to say the same thinghs like "they love me really, its my fault"

on a offnote a man on trisha the other day had his wife consatantly hit him, and call him names, and he just took it, when she was bout to get really violent, he pushed her back and everyone was like "you cant treat your wife like that" and then she carried on hitting him back

the best option is to sock them back i say
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    you say its an opinion, but why do you say that, the victims of domestic violence tend to be under psychological control more than physical, as they tend to say the same thinghs like "they love me really, its my fault"

It was more than a man is more likely not to remain under that kind of control. Men think differently.
    on a offnote a man on trisha the other day had his wife consatantly hit him, and call him names, and he just took it, when she was bout to get really violent, he pushed her back and everyone was like "you cant treat your wife like that" and then she carried on hitting him back

That's Trisha for you, what the hell is he supposed to do.
    the best option is to sock them back i say

Not really, returned violence won't solve anything. Not to mention that if I woman goes to the police with anything ranging from a black eye to a broken jaw-bone, no-one is really going to give a shit that she might have been controlling him. It's the obvious over the true. Men, I'm sure you know, can hit really hard when they lose it, it wouldn't be the best idea ever to retaliate in anger.
  • Options
    It was more than a man is more likely not to remain under that kind of control. Men think differently.

That is a dangerous stereotype, and should be retracted. It's why male victims are not treated seriously- it's an extension of the whole "hen pecked" joke.

Men who are ciontinually beaten will come to think they deserve it, and they won'ty say anything. They will feel ashamed that they are supposed ot be "stronger", but can't stop it, and so will stay even more silent. Their attacker will continually tell them that nobody will believe them, that they are worthless, that they deserve it. The male victims are in even more danger than the female victims.

Plus, of course, if the man ever fights back, the woman will go and report him. And, in this caring age, they will throw the fucking book at him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That is a dangerous stereotype, and should be retracted. It's why male victims are not treated seriously- it's an extension of the whole "hen pecked" joke.

I did say more likely.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Plus, of course, if the man ever fights back, the woman will go and report him. And, in this caring age, they will throw the fucking book at him.

I also said that too.