Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cat Stevens sparks terror alert

Those bastions of freedom and democracy the United States government diverted a plane 600 miles because it was carrying Cat Stevens, who is subject to a high level alert. They then proceeded to ban him from entering the country.

Story.

I think we all know that it is only because he changed his name to Yusuf Islam, and because the Israelis don't like him, as the article explains.

:mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    " O'er land of the free, and the home of the brave." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What a bunch of demented, prejudiced fucking tossers those responsible are.

And this is how the US' security forces are protecting America?

Those who claim Bush is doing a good job (or in fact, any job) keeping America safe are requested to give their opinions on this...

This is not an isolated case anyway. American university students wearing t-shirts showing a photo of Bush that reads "Not my President", the rap singer Eminem, a painter who had brush cleaning products in his house (oooohhh scary chemicals) ... they have all found themselves the target of the US security services.

What a sad state of affairs that one-time proud country is...
  • Options
    braineater, the new anthem should read "o'er the land of the 'fraid and the home of the brainwashed".

Needless to say as a citizen who has been forced to watch the absolute hijacking of his nation by radical rightist and religious fundamentalist extremism (whilst hypocritically waving a finger at the extremism of other religions and governments), the defence of the presiding cabal of liars and criminals within the ever growing blogsphere cuts deeper than a knife.

I fear my countrymen will have to learn firsthand the sort of suffering and deprivation Washington has perpetrated upon countless numbers outside our shores before they will wake up and realise just how false the media spun myth of our "magnanimous leadership" truly is.
  • Options
    i could understand it if they banned his music.
  • Options
    It's totally disgusting, if an American citizen was treated like that anywhere in the world there would be an outcry by the Bush Government. It seems to me that US imigration policy is verging on rascism.:mad:
  • Options
    The US are right to refuse entry to Cat Stevens. It has absolutely nothing to do with his religion.

Cat Stevens has funded the murder of innocent people, in the late 80’s he delivered ‘tens of thousands of dollars’ to Hamas. Hamas are a group that carry out bloodshed and slaughter, Stevens assisting them is something which is quite certainly unacceptable.

Cat Stevens also famously gave his full support to the death sentence issued by fundamentalist Muslims in Iran against Salman Rushdie.

Cat Stevens has called for the killing of somebody he disagrees with and he has funded terrorism in Israel. The Americans actions are entirely justifiable.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/832796.stm)
  • Options
    I think we should ban anyone weighing more than 19 stone who is also wearing sun glasses and knee high socks from entering.
    No more Americans.
  • Options
    Cat Stevens sucks any way.
  • Options
    Re: Cat Stevens sparks terror alert
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I think we all know that it is only because he changed his name to Yusuf Islam, and because the Israelis don't like him, as the article explains.

Nah, anyone who has heard his music would understand the "terrorist" claims :D

Seriously, you know that criticising the US publically is a terrorist act "you are with us, or against us" and so what else did he expect?

Worth noting that there is no duty on the US to admit any of us, why should we expect otherwise...?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    TCat Stevens has funded the murder of innocent people, in the late 80’s he delivered ‘tens of thousands of dollars’ to Hamas. Hamas are a group that carry out bloodshed and slaughter, Stevens assisting them is something which is quite certainly unacceptable.

...says the US and Israel. No-one else, oddly enough.

And I think US and Israeli intelligence is a bit...partisan...don't you?

The US of course have the right to refuse admission to anyone that they choose to. But we have the right to condemn it.

It was the diverting the flight by 650 miles to throw him out the country that got me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    ...says the US and Israel. No-one else, oddly enough.

And I think US and Israeli intelligence is a bit...partisan...don't you?

I trust the word of our allies more than that of an individual citizen who is known to have supported extreme causes. (Like calling for the murder of Salman Rushdie. Oh and if you look around you'll find that to be true and not just something stated by US/Israel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Like calling for the murder of Salman Rushdie. Oh and if you look around you'll find that to be true and not just something stated by US/Israel.

It probably was true.

Half of fucking Bradford were out by City Hall burning him in effigy.

So it goes.