Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DNA testing inventor: "delete or test everyone"

Story.

It seems that the scientist who pioneered DNA testing thinks that, unless the government deletes the DNA records of cleared suspects, or gets DNA from every one of us, then DNA testing could start throwing up more and more false positives, especially given the fact that only 10 markers are needed.

Given the way Blunkett runs the Home Office, I'm surprised that the Government haven't been more vociferous about this, even though Jeffrey obviously didn't mean it to show that totalitarian control-freakery is the only way to be certain.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mm facinating. How many points are needed for fingerprints? And would his opinion still be valid if instead of 10 points we matched 20, or 50?
  • Options
    Uhm...

Ok, I ain't well up on DNA... buuuut

Say everybody's DNA were to be put on a data base. How I broke in to a flat, but wanted to frame my brother for it, could I take a glove and, being careful not to leave my own DNA on the palm of the glove rub it against his clothing or skin to pick up dead skin cells?

So, if I broke in wearing the gloves, his skin cells/DNA or whatever would rub off the glove on to the door handle. Would that work?
  • Options
    No, there'd be two sets of DNA present, it doesn't matter how careful you are. Though DNA is normally traced through blood, semen and/or hair folicles.

though here's a question for the good people, would it bother you to have your DNA and Fingerprints on record?
  • Options
    Yes, it would.

Because I don't trust the police or the government.
  • Options
    they are thinking of increasing to 15/20 thingies for the dna test
  • Options
    My dna is on record and it doesn't bother me. Although it's there to rule me out if I attend a crime scene.
    I think that if you recieve a conviction in court then your dna should remain on file for life, end of.
    As for if you are cleared of a crime, I'm not sure.

I personally couldn't care either way if the government kept everyone's dna on file anyway.
  • Options
    If you're convicted then having to kgive a DNA sdample should be part iof the punishment.

If you are acquitted then you should be able to get your sample deleted if you wish it to.
  • Options
    I am still unsure, only because of the number of people who get cleared due to technicalities and well paid defence lawyers.