Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teachers: truancy is all the parents' fault

And yet again teachers refuse to accept any blame for anything that might possibly be wrong in the school system, instead declaring that it is all the fault of parents.

Story.

They, of course, have a point about this- truancy is a problem because some parents make it so. But not all truants are troublemakers- in Metro today, there was the story of two gitrls who have had to go into hiding because of bullying? The school's response? "It's not our fault, we don't have a bullying problem".

The day teachers accept any responsibility (even partial) for the ill sof the school system is the day Beelzebub goes to work on a skidoo.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But what can teachers really do, if a child does not care about detentions, extra school work etc. how can they keep them in school? I definitely believe it is mainly up to the parents to keep their kids in school, teachers are their to teach primarily and although they do have some responsibility to mind children, it is the parents role.

With regards to bullying, I agree schools should do more, but again it is a very delicate issue. Teachers cannot watch their pupils 24/7, and they cannot control what goes on outside of school, it is really a vicious circle, if you punish the bullies, it can be worse for the bullied child.
  • Options
    hmmm these days everyone expects the schools to be responsible for childrens upbringing, including eating + exercise as well as attendence

yeh if its cause the schools got a bullying problem with the student, it shold be dealing with it so the kid can go to school, but if the kid is just skipping skool for the sake of it, then i blame the parents

they shuld bring back those truancy officers that check why the childs away from school
  • Options
    Give the teachers more authority in the classroom and the option of corporal punishment.
    If a "yoof" wannabe gets out of line they get a smack.
  • Options
    Re: Teachers: truancy is all the parents' fault
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They, of course, have a point about this- truancy is a problem because some parents make it so. But not all truants are troublemakers- in Metro today, there was the story of two gitrls who have had to go into hiding because of bullying? The school's response? "It's not our fault, we don't have a bullying problem".

Any school that says it doesn't have a bullying problem is lying. Bullying can also be across schools, for my school we had the boys grammar across the road and a mixed comprehensive 200 metres up the road, there were always fights between the two grammar schools and the grange. So there needs to be co-operation between schools to try and keep students safe. It wasn't always the ones starting the fight that had to deal with the back-lash.

Truancy has many factors, a lot has to do with student attitude and parent interaction. Despite the school needed to take responsibility for bullying problems, it's down to the family to make sure that the child attends school.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Teachers: truancy is all the parents' fault
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Any school that says it doesn't have a bullying problem is lying. Bullying can also be across schools, for my school we had the boys grammar across the road and a mixed comprehensive 200 metres up the road, there were always fights between the two grammar schools and the grange. So there needs to be co-operation between schools to try and keep students safe. It wasn't always the ones starting the fight that had to deal with the back-lash.

Truancy has many factors, a lot has to do with student attitude and parent interaction. Despite the school needed to take responsibility for bullying problems, it's down to the family to make sure that the child attends school.

Certain types of people will always get bullied to an extent, it's human nature...it's not something that can be totally eradicated from society.

People from different schools fighting with each other is going off the point anyway, people from different towns/schools/countries/football clubs will always find something to fight over - again, pure human nature.
  • Options

Certain types of people will always get bullied to an extent, it's human nature...it's not something that can be totally eradicated from society.

People from different schools fighting with each other is going off the point anyway, people from different towns/schools/countries/football clubs will always find something to fight over - again, pure human nature.
  • Options

• Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    If a teacher is making a student's life hell then that will be the parents fault also?

Of course it is.

I had problems with teachers, I only didn't skip lessons because it was easier to go for 50 minutes than it was to deal with the shit of skipping them. In 6th form I skipped lessons with a teacher who disliked me, but I could get away with it by then.
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    With regards to bullying, I agree schools should do more, but again it is a very delicate issue. Teachers cannot watch their pupils 24/7, and they cannot control what goes on outside of school, it is really a vicious circle, if you punish the bullies, it can be worse for the bullied child.

Bullying is a very delicate issue, and it is one that most teachers wash their hands of. Teachers at my school didn't want to know, the PE teachers in particular even encouraged it. I only put up with PE because it was easier than skipping it, and it was only hard to skip it because, for the most part, I wanted to learn. Every so often at least.

Teachers won't deal with bullies because they're too scared to. That is the cold hard fact- sometimes I don't blame them for being, mind.
  • Options
    why do people these days expect schools to do everything for the kid, what happened to parenting???

when i was growing up my mum taught me how to read and write my name and count etc before i went to school

schools get blamed for the rising obesity, how about lazy parents!?