Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why are we obsessed with celebrities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are our lives that boring that we have to look up to celebrities?.... and we are fascinated by what they do, where they live.........wtf?......people have plastic surgery now to look more like their favourite celebs, to me this culture is sickening.......what draws our attention to them is adverts in whatever form that implies that glamour is the norm and if you're not glam you'll never be happy, so we're all caught up with this obsession of more more more, its pathetic really when millions die around the world through arms exports shouldnt we be more concerned with the fact we export 1 quarter of total world arms exports......? but we are leaders of the fight for world peace on the side so its all okay.....who terrorises more people directly or indirectly through their policies.....George Bush or Bin Laden? im sure even the yanks could get this one...? rant over stop gawking at the celebs ffs

Comments

• Options
    i have actualy refused to meet celebs but i won't give details me thinks ...
  • Options
    Re: why are we obsessed with celebrities
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    are our lives that boring that we have to look up to celebrities?.... and we are fascinated by what they do, where they live.........wtf?......people have plastic surgery now to look more like their favourite celebs, to me this culture is sickening.......what draws our attention to them is adverts in whatever form that implies that glamour is the norm and if you're not glam you'll never be happy, so we're all caught up with this obsession of more more more, its pathetic really when millions die around the world through arms exports shouldnt we be more concerned with the fact we export 1 quarter of total world arms exports......? but we are leaders of the fight for world peace on the side so its all okay.....who terrorises more people directly or indirectly through their policies.....George Bush or Bin Laden? im sure even the yanks could get this one...? rant over stop gawking at the celebs ffs

Human beings need people to glorify and look up too, and with the loss of religion in western society, and the fragmentation of the family, we look to celebrities as our gods and goddesses. I agree it is shallow and crass.
  • Options
    because people do what they want to i guess
  • Options
    Sometimes I want to shout at all those people on the bus reading tabloids that devote their front page to Beckham's haircut or Britney's latest antics as real news of real events both at home and abroad unfold.

But this is a free country at the end of the day. Their loss.

Perhaps it's time for the celebrities to stop complaining about the junk press (since they never going to get rid of the parasites) and start targetting the readers of such press instead.

How refreshing it'd be see a celebrity wearing a t-shirt that read "FAO the readers of the gutter press: get a life you sad wankers instead of reading about mine" as they get snapped doing their shopping or walking the dog.
  • Options
    Sometimes I want to shout at all those people on the bus reading tabloids that devote their front page to Beckham's haircut or Britney's latest antics as real news of real events both at home and abroad unfold.

Tabloids are near enough all ballshit, but people like to read the bullshit because it's entertaining unlike the depressing "real" newspapers.
  • Options
    Reading about a bloke getting a haircut is entertaining?

;):p
  • Options
    Re: why are we obsessed with celebrities
    Originally posted by apollo_69

i for one dont count myself as an attractive person, and i dont idolise celebrities
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I really don't believe that vast majority of us are obsessed with them. The media and the teenage girls are only!
    will you emigrate luke if an assylum seeker attains celebrity staus?
  • Options
    Why?
    Because that they lead the jet-set life style with free designer-wear and exclusive parties.
    They have what most can't get, and what most dream of.

Either way, as much as celebrities complain about the press, many of them use the press for their own advantage as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Why?
    Because that they lead the jet-set life style with free designer-wear and exclusive parties.
    They have what most can't get, and what most dream of.

no ...it gets annoying when they start believing they are important people.
    sting pisses me off with his environmental rantings ...then you look at his lifestyle!
  • Options
    it's my ambition to meet certain people, especially people who think they're important just because the sun follows them around, and tell them to fuck off and get a real life.

Seriously, what do these people do that is so fantastic we feel the need to hear everything they do every moment of every day?

Specific people i'd like to tell that they're not remotely important or special are Jordan, because I saw her on TV saying that when she wants something she always gets it, Victoria Beckham, because of the way she goes into pose mode whenever the cameras are on her, Michael Jackson, because he's a disgusting little kiddy fiddler and his security guards are arseholes who think that everyone within a mile of him is desperate for his autograph.

(I was at Heathrow when he came through with his entourage and some git pushed me out of the way with a 'no autographs' when I was waiting for a friend. I told him to fuck off and stop pushing me, and he told me that i'd better move because Michael Jackson was coming. I told him I really didn't fucking care.)