Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mushroom dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hubby wants us to go mushroom picking, hes had them loads before but ive never tried them ,(he loves them) but im a bit worried about wot to expect .Ive been reading quite a lot about them and seem to get 2 different stories about the effect they have on you.One seems to be that you feel great others that you can get quite messy .Wot i need to know is how many to take for a first time ,how long they last and how i might feel i know everyone reacts differently just some sort of general out line

Comments

• Options
    How many to use? Hmm, a tough one really because they are very varied. I'd say about an ounce of wet mushrooms would do it. But thats a VERY rough guide.

As for the experience, hmm, depends how many you do really, low doses are mildly visual, your'll probably feel happy and giggly and that will be about it. It will last about 4 hours.

Higher doses can be more introspective, more visual and you can get deeper into thought patterns.
  • Options
    From my personal experience, mushrooms can be so much fun, or really messed up. It is a very intense experience, which can be scary, but if you are with the right people it can be a right laugh. I wouldn't take them outside if this is your first time, do them at your home, with people you trust and you should have fun.

With regards to dosage i'm not 100% sure, depends on mushrooms, and their strength.

I know you are going picking, but if you decide to buy from a seller, philosopher truffles are amazing, and you don't even have to make tea, just eat them like sweeties.
  • Options
    dolly dagger - the philospohers stones are a type of truffle. awesome shrooms. we ate a load in amsterdam and they were great. we were told to expect 6/7 hour buzz - about 9 hours later we was still too fucked to leave the apartment we were in.

im havin fun - if you are picking - dont take away anything that you're not sure of. the ones you'll find in a field are called liberty caps i think - at least in Dublin fields that whats we get.

dosage - i would recommend about 20 shrooms each to get a good taste of what they are like. we took 40 each last Sat night and they were great - but i would have taken a few more ( doesnt work though - taking more in the same day). you can get a buzz off any amount over 10. i ate 12/15 a few weeks ago, not expecting much - but i was flying - had a mini party on my own. then last week a mate ate 6 - no effect whatsoever. so 10 plus should let you know what they are all about. it gets messy when - you have strangers around, or people who aren't tripping, when you end up answering the phone it can freak you out if you can't remember what you were talking about - i know a guy who thought he told his mom he was at home on shrooms!!! so turn off the phone!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    im havin fun, have you had a look at TheSite's page on mushrooms?

The Vaults of Erowid have loads of info on this page, and I wuld like to post the following warning from Erowid again -
    Wild Mushroom Identification Warning
    There is NO way to identify a mushroom based solely on a photo or even a written description. Identifying mushrooms is a complex process and it's easy to make mistakes. There are many varieties of both edible and psychoactive mushrooms which have poisonous look-alikes. Even an expert can be fooled by the outward appearance of these deadly look-alikes.

Unless you can either explore with a mycologist or knowledgeable and seasoned mushroom hunter, or take the time to learn the careful process of mushroom identification yourself through reading books and preferably joining a mycological society...we would strongly recommend not eating mushrooms you pick yourself.

Learning to identify mushrooms isn't difficult in and of itself, but it takes training. Because the down-side of eating a poisonous mushroom is so great...one needs to be extraordinarily careful.
  • Options
    Re: mushroom dilemma
    Originally posted by im havin fun
    hubby wants us to go mushroom picking, hes had them loads before but ive never tried them ,(he loves them) but im a bit worried about wot to expect .Ive been reading quite a lot about them and seem to get 2 different stories about the effect they have on you.One seems to be that you feel great others that you can get quite messy .Wot i need to know is how many to take for a first time ,how long they last and how i might feel i know everyone reacts differently just some sort of general out line

Basically, you're looking at a 4 hour trip, the strength depending on the type and quantity of the mushies. The potential is always there to freak the fuck out though (not to mention fucking your head up), so my advice is make sure you're comfortable on weed before trying mushies. And make sure you're surroundings are good and you're in a good frame of mind before taking the mushies.

Although the trip should last for about 4/5 hours, you won't go back to the baseline 'till you wake up the next day.