Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sANTa?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how much will you be spending?
the stuff is in the shops right now!

Comments

• Options
    keep your ants out of this forum!!!!!!!

Anyway, not huge amounts I hope, but it all mounts up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    keep your ants out of this forum!!!!!!!

ssshhhhhhh ....
  • Options
    I dont realise how much I have spent, I start buying early then I dont have to pull it out all together.

I know i spend far too much, but hey its Christmas, a time for giving :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I dont realise how much I have spent, I start buying early then I dont have to pull it out all together.

I know i spend far too much, but hey its Christmas, a time for giving :D

There should always be time for giving.
  • Options
    There should always be time for giving.

Why ?

Not that I only give at Christmas, but why should people give all year round ?
  • Options
    i live in an area of lakes and mountains and moorland and pine forrests ...massive pine forrests ...most of north wales households still seem to run on coal and logs so theres that smokey chimney look in the snow ...when our electric has gone and the water frozen solid ...
    real xmas card stuff.
    where do ants go at this time of year ...the greatest worker colony in the known universe ...you do not see ants at xmas time full stop!
    are they celebrating underground?
    does it cost them?
    do they watch the seasonal pANTomime?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Ah, maybe he means things you don't have to pay for?

True, maybe that is the case.
    Having said that we were talking about presents so I assumed giving presents/charity etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Ah, maybe he means things you don't have to pay for?

*coughs* she...
  • Options
    Why ?

I find it odd that people approach christmas feeling like that have to by everyone they know a present and get everyone a card. They get stressed and agressive and are counting the cost. Then after the festive season they're 'Thank God that's over, don't have to do that again for another year'.

Which is not the point, if you love a person you should be giving them something to say so all year round, and no it doesn't have to be a gift, but Christmas, which incidentally should be a celebration of the birth of christ, shouldn't be used as an excuse to get all of your generosity out of the way for a year.

It's nice, it's an excuse to get everyone together, but shouldn't be the one time in the calender when you are generous and caring to others.
  • Options
    I bought a couple of things yesterday to put away for christmas, a couple of toys that were on special offer. Its soooo expensive if you leave it till the last minute, all the shops put their prices up. If you buy a few things at the end of summer sales, you save yourself a fortune, and a lot of stress and panic come november, early december.
  • Options
    It's nice, it's an excuse to get everyone together, but shouldn't be the one time in the calender when you are generous and caring to others.

but fact is that Christmas is the time of year where people do make the effort to come together as a family. Apart from weddings/christenings etc.
    I like it at Christmas because we all do try to get to see each other.

edited to add for me things did change as my daughter started getting older. I like to make sure she has a nice Christmas with people popping in, having a good time......you know what I mean ? Maybe Rainbow understands what I mean, but for me things deffinately changed when my daughter got older.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I bought a couple of things yesterday to put away for christmas, a couple of toys that were on special offer.

i dont know wether you have Woolies or Superdrug but both shops have a good sale on at the moment.
  • Options
    i dont know wether you have Woolies or Superdrug but both shops have a good sale on at the moment.
    I`ll have a look in there too then. I actually got stuff from asda yesterday.wooden train things which are great quality for £2.30 each, and 250 piece pots of asda own brand lego reduced from £4.94 to £1.27. I bought 3 .
  • Options

Because that people focuse more on the present giving than the actual celebration of Christmas?

Either way regarding that aspect I like "my" system better.
    No "christmas" rush, and no great expectation. On the other hand I get bigger presents at all of our big celebrations, and in Chanukka we have 8 days of presents from everyone, yet have a grasp of the meaning behind the celebration.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Show off :p

Nah, cause it's not as if I get Marc Jacobs shoes the first day, then some new Diesel jeans the next, a Gucci watch the third and so on. Basically, a celebrations spread over a number of days. So instead of getting all of my presents before a certain date, and then focusing on the day where I can open them, then we rather celebrate during the 8 days with lots of people. Invite and get invited, and exchange presents with people then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    So instead of getting all of my presents before a certain date, and then focusing on the day where I can open them, then we rather celebrate during the 8 days with lots of people. Invite and get invited, and exchange presents with people then.

That sounds canny, I bet its fun for you all.
  • Options
    I'm afraid I lost all respect for my shop about two weeks ago as it was the 1st of flippin september and they were stocking up the seasonal aisle with christmas stuff. I know it wasn't jsut my store and they of course had their orders but for cripes sake-its flippin september.

I'm selfish-I want to spend as little as possible on presents for others as I want the money to go out and party-christmas is that to me-I'm not religious so to me it is about going out with friends and having a good time with my family. That may sound bad as I tuck into my christmas dinner but at least I'm honest!

I want to spend about £100 on presents for everyone because like I say I'm selfish and I want to spend it on me!!

I was also angry that my shop wants to open its petrol station on christmas day-I think that is very unfair on those with families who do not want to work at that time-I mean yeh, if they were say an ambulance person you should expect to work-what next cinemas to open on christams day?!

God don't I moan! I'm sorry to come across all scrooge like! Its just too early for christmas! I'm be much more in the spirit of things come december!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    I was also angry that my shop wants to open its petrol station on christmas day-I think that is very unfair on those with families who do not want to work at that time-I mean yeh,

they wont be forced to work though will they ?

what about Hotels, Taxis, Old Peoples homes, Nurses, Doctors....the list could go on, they have to also work.