Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Marriage & double barrelled surnames

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The trend nowadays I see alot is that people tend not to do the traditional wife gets husbands surname. So they do the Mr & Mrs something-something instead.

I like this idea cause it's like you're starting your own surname generation/family & also it's like a joining of two separate individuals from different families which I suppose what marriage does anyway but one surname isn't lost.

Enough babbling:D

With this Mr & Mrs something-something can anybody do it or does the surname have to be legally registered or could just signing the wedding papers Mr & Mrs something-something make the couple Mr & Mrs something-something instead of Mr something & Mrs something?

<br><marquee align="center" loop="infinte"><font color="666666">.:</font><font color="ff6600">Crispy</font><font color="666666">:.</font></marquee><br></font>

Comments

• Options
    The surname is what's registered on the forms. I know of one couple who BOTH changed their surnames to a new one.

I don't see the point of double-barrelled names. They were invented for daughters of the top families to keep their name, and beyond arrogance they serve no purpose. Where do you stop?

Mr Smith and Miss Bloggs become the Smith-Bloggses. What happens if Miss Smith-Bloggs meets a Mr Jones-Taylor? It gets stupid.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had an idea some years ago, and I actually still think it would be nice. It originated from the fact that my grandfather only had daughters, so his surname will be lost.
    Suppse mr. Jameson and miss Drake got married. Both keep their names. Their sons are named Jameson and their daughters Drake. The only "problem" I see with this idea is that you couldn't tell they're siblings by their surnames.
  • Options
    mr monkey married miss balls, you would get mr and mrs monkey - balls :lol:
  • Options
    My mother grew up with her step - father's surname. When she was old enough to do so she reverted to her natural father's surname, then she got married pretty soon after that and did not want to lose the small peice of her natural father that she had just managed to recapture, so my dad agreed to have a hypenated surname so that she could keep her natural father's surname. I'd like to know how that makes anyone arrogant.

However, my parents both actually have legally different surnames. My father just has one surname, without the hypen and my mother has the hypen, BUT they both go under the hypenated surname. Neither my brother or I have the hyphen in our names but my mother's maiden name is one of our middle 'family' names.

I don't think it is anyone elses business what people choose to call themselves as long as people don't do it to defraud anyone else.
  • Options
    I quite like the Spanish way of doing it.

Everyone has double-barrelled surnames, father's name first (usually). They then keep one of the names and when they marry the male spouse gets his name first (again, usually) and so it goes on.
  • Options
    Well I couldn't wait to change my surname when I got married, so that was easy.

I don't see the point of having both myself, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion...like Bumblebee said, as long as they're not hurting anyone, let people do what they like. My friend decided to have both names after she got married, but I think that's because she didn't want to be Mrs Mould, personally! So she calls herself Mrs. Mould-Ryan. I told her she ought to be glad her maiden name wasn't Green.
  • Options
    My mum and dad kept their own names because trying to explain to morons at banks and things how to spell/pronounce Szkwarczuk was more hassle than my mother could be bothered with!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adelle
    My mum and dad kept their own names because trying to explain to morons at banks and things how to spell/pronounce Szkwarczuk was more hassle than my mother could be bothered with!

my mother couldn't wait to take my dad's name for exactly the same reason.

i think people should do what they want, personally. i will take my husband's name because i'm traditional, and that's what i want. if it makes you happy keeping your own name, that's cool too.

hyphenating wouldn't work for me though, cause my surname is 10 letters long and mr kaff's is 9, and my first names are 9 letters and 10 letters long respectively, so my name just wouldn't fit on forms, or anything. and my children would probably never forgive me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    my children would probably never forgive me.

Isn't that the best reason TO do it?

I don't think "ooh, there goes an arrogant person" if they have a double-barrelled name, I just don't see the point of them as a general rule. Maybe it's the traditionalist in me, I dunno.
  • Options
    I probably will take my husbands name, (even though my surname is definatly better than my boyfriends :p) Just because i dont know actually it's easier like that?

The only people i know with double barrelled names are children who's parents are not married so they take on both of their parents surnames.

I always wondered though if i chose not to take on my husbands surname and kept mine would i have to be 'Ms my surname' or would i be 'Mrs my surname'?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Isn't that the best reason TO do it?

I don't think "ooh, there goes an arrogant person" if they have a double-barrelled name, I just don't see the point of them as a general rule. Maybe it's the traditionalist in me, I dunno.

Growing up I had the hypen in my name at school and doctors etc even though on my birth certificate it wasn't like that, no hyphen. Kids took the piss so I dropped it when I went to secondary school. I wish I'd kept it now as I might have been considered posher at university!
  • Options
    My friend's parents weren't married at all, and so that she has a link with both of them, she has her father's surname as her surname and her mother's surname as her middle name instead. I know a couple of people who did that actually, a different friend (whose parents were married) had his mum's maiden name as one of his middle names too.
  • Options
    I double barrelled my son's surname when he was born as otherwise I would have been the last in the line of my family. I changed his surname legally a couple of years back, so he just has my surname but thats a different story.
  • Options
    *looks at her own hyphenated double barrelled surname

hmm i actually quite like my surname as it makes me one of a kind. I got no end of grief when i was younger with this surname with local kids bullying me for where i went to school, how i talked and what "wealth" they thought i had (thats a laugh that one). So i've actually put up with a lot from this surname so i reckon that i shouldn't really be ashamed of it anymore because it's part of me. God know's what i'll do if i ever decide to marry. Better choose someone who's surname fits in well to make it a triple barrelled name :lol:
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of double barrelled surnames myself but I love my last name...I don't want to lose it when I get married! It's an unusual name but I guess I'll probably end up changing to my partner's name if I ever do get married
  • Options
    The only reason that I want to keep my surname if/when I get married is because there are no boys in my family and all my other relatives have got married and got their husbands surname, so I want to carry on my surname as I'm the only one left who can do it, kinda respect for my granny.
  • Options
    I have a double barrelled surname, and its been that way in my dads family for generations-as far back as my ads grandparents could rememeber.

I used to get teased at school for being posh, but actually I'm far from it. It's just my dad's family name that my mum took when she married my dad, and that I happened to inherit when I was born.

If I do get married though, I'll probab;y change it to my husbands name, just because I'm traditional like that.
  • Options
    i'm not sure if i'd go double barrelled. there isn't a lot of point. i'm the only one in my family with my surname anyway. so it's not like i'd be keeping it up. and besides, it's not even either of my family names.

me, my 2 sisters and my mum and dad had our surnames changed when i was young. one of my sisters and my dad changed theirs back and then my mum got married and took on a new surname. my other sister recently married so i'm the only one left.
  • Options
    I miss my surname. I actually wish id kept it, or had a double barrell one. Probably too late now.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i will take dave's name, no doubt about it really. i wouldnt consider a double barrelled name either, we both have 3 syllable names so it would never really work. im quite happy changing my name though :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I miss my surname. I actually wish id kept it, or had a double barrell one. Probably too late now.

It's never too late. :)

Might be a bit of a hassle with passports etc though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    It's never too late. :)

Might be a bit of a hassle with passports etc though.

You don't have to tell official bodies that you have changed your name you can go under any name you like as long as you aren't foing it to defraud anyone. Your passport can still have your official name on so long as when you book tickets etc you remember which name to book under.
  • Options
    I know I could, but I think my husband might be slightly offended if I went back to my old name.I expect he would think it was significant.
    If I was gonna do it, I should haeve done it at the time and before we had babies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adelle

hardly morons :rolleyes: i suppose if you come across something youve never heard before you instantly know how to spell it do you?

anyway i think its a bit excessive to have a 3+ barrelled name