Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ginger & Garlic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK So right now have a horrid cough / cold / flu type thing.

Anyway doing some research on the net and see both Ginger and Garlic mentioned as great for .

So go down int he kitchen but we don't have any :(

But I remembered my mother has a jar int he fridge of ginger and garlic paste that she made herself and uses for cooking, so I think what the heck and get a teaspoon and pop it in my mouth.

Anyway needless to say it's horrid tasting and I can't bringmyself to swallow it but I sort of munch on it and can feel the juices trickling down my throat, so keep munching and finally spit out the rind that's left.

Anyway have to say my soar throat for now is gone and I feel so much better. Even my cough is almost gone for now. Never seen anything work so fast!! :)

Comments

• Options
    my grandma swore by garlic for any ills, and used to make us a garlic sandwich if we weren't feeling well. they were utterly horrible, and after a while we got wise, and she started to hide it under ham and stuff (polish sandwiches don't have tops).

and hey, who knows if it worked, but she survived more illnesses than anyone really should, and lived to 84, so you never know.
  • Options
    Having spent the majority of last yr studying health benefits of garlic-I ca say they are justified BUT my project found although it killed nasty bugs (mainly foody types)-the amount you would need to take to specifically kill them would be too much to eat normally. But do eat it regularly as it can aid your immune system so will help kill the bugs!

Garlic contains this chemical called allicin-look it up-thats whjat does a lot of teh bug killing. Trouble is its made when the sulfur compunds break down-what makes you smell! So those odourless garlic capsules are poor. They don't contain the chemicals needed to kill pathogenic bacteria so IMO are a waste of money. God look you got me started here!

If anyone is interested (unlikely!!) pm me and I can send you some info-or the intro of my project!

Oh there is also a compound in garlic that can aid blood thinning-again only if taken in major doeses but still beneficial to include in your diet!
  • Options
    garlic and ginger are almost a daily intake in this house ...few ailments.
  • Options
  • Options
    I may have Overdosed on the ginger / garlic paste cos I felt a little icky hours later and could taste ginger in my mouth!! .. but I think the principle still holds true.
  • Options
    Lol! Still at least it worked right?!