Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Yep, it's another pill question!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard a lot of people say that the 'period' you have when you're on the pill isn't a real period, it's just wastage.

Was chatting with a mate about this and had a disagreement - she says that you can still have your 'period' when you're pregnant if you're on the pill again (without realising you're pregnant, obviously)

So if you had missed a pill, had sex that day and got pregnant, then went back on the pill and then stopped it for your 7 day break, could you have the fake period even though you're pregnant?

It doesn't seem right to me - surely that would flush out whatever was about to develop?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Yep, it's another pill question!!
    Originally posted by Butterflykisses
    So if you had missed a pill, had sex that day and got pregnant, then went back on the pill and then stopped it for your 7 day break, could you have the fake period even though you're pregnant?

firstly, if you only missed one pill, it's unlikely you'd get pregnant. your ovaries aren't that quick. takes them a little while to realise you're lacking your fake hormone, and then another little while for them to get their act together and ovulate. it's not like 'OMG, she missed a pill, and now she's having sex!! OVULATE!! OVULATE NOW!'

secondly, it is possible (although really rare) for people to keep getting their period while they are pregnant, whether they are natural periods or the are on the pill and having withdrawal bleeds. i don't know how that works, but occasionally it does.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Yep, it's another pill question!!
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    OVULATE!! OVULATE NOW!'

That just reminds me of the Simpsons.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Firstly, how likely/unlikely it is you'll get pregnant if you miss a pill is dependant on a number of factors a big one being if you're on the combined pill or the progestogen-only pill. Please read those links, they'll be really useful for you.

I've had a look at the what the fpa say about the bleed:
    "You don't have proper periods when you are on the pill. What you have is called a 'withdrawal bleed'. The bleeding (which doesn't always happen) is caused by you not taking hormones in the pill free week."

It's important to remember that some women don't necessarily stop their periods completely when they're pregnant.

If you need more information about a specific situation you can talk to a nurse in complete confidence on the fpa helpline on 0845 310 1334

Hope this helps,
    CB
  • Options
    Normally, if you're pregnant you dont get that "bleed" because the hormones are there, some girls are unfotunate though.