Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pain killers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know how to make cramps feel better?? because mine are so bad that when it happens i automatically keel over... and midol and other pain killers don't help... :(

Comments

• Options
    Re: pain killers?
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    does anyone know how to make cramps feel better?? because mine are so bad that when it happens i automatically keel over... and midol and other pain killers don't help... :(

Hot water bottle or a hot bath might help. :(
  • Options
    Try a hot bath, and ibruprofen (is a muscle relaxant) for non-prescription killer of choice, also how about radian-b/deep heat rub to relax the muscles as well.
  • Options
    thanks i will try all of those...

how about for the headaches you get??
  • Options
    Don't mix anything with aspirin. Ever, it reacts in unpredictable ways. I would suggest, taking paracetamol 2hrs after the ibruprofen. That's if the ibruprofen doesn't knock out the headache anyway.

If you are going to mix ibruprofen and paracetamol in full doses at 2hr intervals do it for the whole time of your period, not every so often. it's ok if you do it regularly, because you're body can take it, but if you suddenly think must take paracetamol but you havn't taken it all day your body will take a nasty kick from it.
  • Options
    Ibruprofen and paracetamol act in different ways, you can take both doses at the same time without any problems.

You shouldnt really take Asprin and Ibruprofen together but each of them seperately can be mixed with paracetamol.

You may want to try some of the over the counter med's with codine in. This is a very mild opiate pain killer.

I find Neurofen Max is very effective, thats 200mg Ibruprofen and 12.8mg codine in each pill. If your pain is really bad you could mix two of these tablets with two Sopladine Max. This is 500mg paracetamol with 12.8mg codine.

Thus giving you a little about 50mg codine, 400mg Ibruprofen and 1000mg paracetamol.

Though codine isnt best to be using on a regular basis because it will really back up your digestion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Ibruprofen and paracetamol act in different ways, you can take both doses at the same time without any problems.

yup...thats what i do when im in lots of pain. Then i crawl to the bathroom and get a hot water bottle, that really helps too :)

Trying to relax as much as possible is the best thing though. I get in such a state and it just doesnt help at all.
  • Options
    Obviously though, if your in a situation where the pain really is bad and you cant function, get yourself down to your GP and talk to your Doctor about it.
  • Options
    Yeah I get them really bad as well. Try taking your painkillers and then have a cup of tea or a hot drink afterwards. Its works for me.

Also, if you walk about a lot, the pills will work faster into ur bloodstream. So try not to lie in bed - walk around for a bit.

Hot water bottle does nothing for me and a hot bath works while im in there, but once im out, the pain comes back.

Oh well.
  • Options
    Thats because the caffine in the tea/coffee makes the paracetamol work faster.
  • Options
    also, those gel masks for your eyes, as long as they cause a bit of comfortable pressure, can do wonders for headaches. the pressure and the coolness shud kill most headaches, i've bought one to take to uni with me lol :D