Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know we all have to pay it, but it is something that really disgusts me. My boyfriend and I are paying ridiculously high rent on our house which eats up all of our money, then we've also got this council tax to worry about. We haven't been able to pay it for the last couple of months because we've been hit with all of our bills at once. Richie got a letter from South Gloucestershire a few days ago saying we have 7 days to pay our council tax, then after that 7 days to pay council tax for the whole year, then they take us to court. He rang them up, explained our situation and they did give us an extension, but I still think this is appalling.

I hate council tax. Both of us pay tax on our wages, so we both work. And for what? To have our money taken away to line the pockets of the fat cats on the council. And don't say the money goes on necessities for the residents of the county, because I have looked at their job bulletins and I have noticed high salaries for some stupid jobs. They have also spent thousands of pounds on installing speed bumps that noone wants, taking them down, then putting them back up again.

I feel like protesting but I know I get nowhere. Anyone want to join me in my moan?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A large element of the council tax goes to funding the emergency services.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by JsT
    A large element of the council tax goes to funding the emergency services.

:yes: and things like the bin men too.
  • Options
    I realise that, and I know I should have to contribute something to the area I live in, but when I see a lot of money being spent on things I and lots of other people disagree with, I get pissy!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    So without council tax, if some vandal burned your bin (which is full of rubbish cause there is no bin men), you'd have no fireman to put out the fire, no police to investigate the crime and no ambulance service to treat the small child who happened to get slightly burned in the fire.

Council tax is useful, except when Leeds City Council fucking waste it like the wankers that they are.
  • Options
    Have you talked to the Council about applying for Council Tax Benefit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Have you talked to the Council about applying for Council Tax Benefit?

No but we know we wouldn't get it, we've seen these forms before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    No but we know we wouldn't get it, we've seen these forms before.

You don't know that, unless you apply.

Although, of course, if you are paying very high rent and your salary doesn't cover it, you are living beyond your means.
  • Options
    Just incase...

Benefits Calculator
  • Options
    Re: Council Tax
    I know we all have to pay it, but it is something that really disgusts me. My boyfriend and I are paying ridiculously high rent on our house which eats up all of our money, then we've also got this council tax to worry about. We haven't been able to pay it for the last couple of months because we've been hit with all of our bills at once. Richie got a letter from South Gloucestershire a few days ago saying we have 7 days to pay our council tax, then after that 7 days to pay council tax for the whole year, then they take us to court. He rang them up, explained our situation and they did give us an extension, but I still think this is appalling.

I hate council tax. Both of us pay tax on our wages, so we both work. And for what? To have our money taken away to line the pockets of the fat cats on the council. And don't say the money goes on necessities for the residents of the county, because I have looked at their job bulletins and I have noticed high salaries for some stupid jobs. They have also spent thousands of pounds on installing speed bumps that noone wants, taking them down, then putting them back up again.

I feel like protesting but I know I get nowhere. Anyone want to join me in my moan?

Nope. Move to a cheaper and smaller house and you'll solve both the high rent problem and the council tax problem in one go.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    That'd be more efficient, and eliminate the need for rubbish to go to an incinerator/landfill.

And the plastic burning would give off cyanide which would mean people in the immediate area would need to go to hospital, but they wouldn't be able to because there would be no funding.
  • Options
    Re: Council Tax
    [B Richie got a letter from South Gloucestershire a few days ago saying we have 7 days to pay our council tax, then after that 7 days to pay council tax for the whole year, then they take us to court. He rang them up, explained our situation and they did give us an extension, but I still think this is appalling.

[/B]

Thats the bit that annoys me, they seem to be able to demand the all the 2004/2005 council tax before the financial year has ended! I have to pay £70 a month council tax, I do get single persons discount and £2.16 a year council tax benefit (wowee!!) but it's such a massive chunk of my wages, which are mainly made up of tax credits.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Council Tax
    Originally posted by Mist
    Nope. Move to a cheaper and smaller house and you'll solve both the high rent problem and the council tax problem in one go.

We're in one of the cheapest houses around here, and if we moved again we'd have to move everything out and find the labour again, and sort out all the bills again which we can't handle.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Just incase...

Benefits Calculator

Thanks Shell. But I worked out that we are entitled to 0.00 in benefits. We are living in a three bedroomed house and it costs 565 a month, which I know is too much for us, but it's all we could find at the time. Even if we moved somewhere smaller, the rent would still be similar, maybe 20 quid a month less, but it could go up at any time, and we'd still have a load of bills to pay. But the properties go really quickly in our area, we were lucky to find ours.
  • Options
    Thanks Shell. But I worked out that we are entitled to 0.00 in benefits. We are living in a three bedroomed house and it costs 565 a month, which I know is too much for us, but it's all we could find at the time. Even if we moved somewhere smaller, the rent would still be similar, maybe 20 quid a month less, but it could go up at any time, and we'd still have a load of bills to pay. But the properties go really quickly in our area, we were lucky to find ours.

We will be moving out soon to a house, at the moment its only a flat here & its £470 a month. As for a house, yours is average price for round here. Depends if you could go to a house really.
    We get help but if we moved to a 3 bed instead of two they wouldn't pay for the extra room.
  • Options
    I would resent giving any of my money to the policing services around my area because I believe they do naff all for me. But then I don't have to yet so I don't need to worry. I know my mum resents it though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    I would resent giving any of my money to the policing services around my area because I believe they do naff all for me. But then I don't have to yet so I don't need to worry. I know my mum resents it though.

That's another big reason why I'm angry about it. Children in my area have victimised my family for years and years, egging our house, hurling abuse and the police do fuck all. Saying it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I'll be taking matters into my own hands very soon...
  • Options
    That's another big reason why I'm angry about it. Children in my area have victimised my family for years and years, egging our house, hurling abuse and the police do fuck all. Saying it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I'll be taking matters into my own hands very soon...

I can totally sympathise with you here, my mum and I have been victims of the same sort of thing for a long time now and the police do nothing about it.
  • Options
    I can totally sympathise with you here, my mum and I have been victims of the same sort of thing for a long time now and the police do nothing about it.

They're probably dealing with more severe matters I'm afraid, the police (IMO) do a good job, there just aren't enough of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    They're probably dealing with more severe matters I'm afraid, the police (IMO) do a good job, there just aren't enough of them.

Most people who say they are crap have not had a serious thing happen where the police are fab. They were really helpfull to me when i needed them.
  • Options
    I would resent giving any of my money to the policing services around my area because I believe they do naff all for me.

They catch serious criminals and put them on remand. That is their job.

Eggs are annoying, but nothing much more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They catch serious criminals and put them on remand. That is their job.

Eggs are annoying, but nothing much more.

Eggs... if that were the only thing it wouldn't be so bad. The police are there to do their job, not just catch serious criminals.