Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hello I want a new computer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometime I may purchase a new computer.

I want to know what your opinions are on getting new computers. EG if you have bought one and can recommend a place, or whatever.

If I do not go with Dell or Mesh, then I would probably put stuff together from bits from overclockers.co.uk in which case it would be something like the "Ultima" AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Dual DDR System (FS-004-OC) on this page http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html, but with various bits replaced by cheaper bits.

Also opinions on monitors (crt v LCD) are required.

Comments

• Options
    What do you want it to do?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    What do you want it to do?

It must be capable of world domination. :yes:
  • Options
    Re: Hello I want a new computer
    Originally posted by Mist
    Sometime I may purchase a new computer.
    Seeing as it's you Mist, just pop along to PC World and buy a Dell, Hewlet Packard, or Compaq PC. :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Hello I want a new computer
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Seeing as it's you Mist, just pop along to PC World and buy a Dell, Hewlet Packard, or Compaq PC. :D

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    It must be capable of world domination. :yes:

i like :D
  • Options
    I suggest taking the Overclockers route and buy it in bits. I brought myself a Shuttle "barebones" system where the motherboard is already fitted in. This saves a lot of D.I.Y. work. I just work on the CPU, RAM and any drives I need.
  • Options
    It definitely seems that the method of buying all the bits is cheapest, but there is not much in it, especially if you add in a TFT (which I'd have to get if I wanted the geforce ultra as it only has DVI out). Though the problem is that I can't seem to source one of them anywhere :|
  • Options
    i would say whatever you do don't go with compaq.. it sucks.....

i would also say... be careful if you go with dell.... lately the reliability rate has gone down a little bit

dont' go with sony.. it's completely unreliable...

if you DO choose a PC i would tell you to look for a computer with Intel Centrino...

however i say go with a mac... im in love with my apple and pc's have a way of slowing down a LOT once you have a lotta shit on your computer.. and mac will slow down a little bit.. but it will basically maintain the same speed... but then again.. you can just put more RAM into both computers.... i dunno

also with apple you get a MAD student discount if you go to a university...
    but maybe that's just in the US
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    all of this is gobbledy gook to me :(
  • Options
    lol...

buy an apple!!!!!!!

better?!
  • Options
    building a computer is cheapest option, it helps if you have a mate who knows exactly how to put a comp together so you can trouble shoot better, as you always miss something out 1st time you put it together

and overclockers are reliable, i brought my mums parts from there, but for GFX cards i recomend shopping round as overclcoers can be a bit expensive for parts but your paying for reliability
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    lol...

buy an apple!!!!!!!

better?!

i do not like apples. i cannot work them. have always used PCs and refuse to even try and adapt. yes, maybe this is wrong of me/narrowminded or whatever but i think that more businesses or whatever have PCs and it will be them i shall be using more of later in life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    Intel Centrino...

I'd disagree, I would always choose athlon in the current climate, they're cheaper and run faster. The only issue with them is they tend to run a bit hotter, but normal case circulation sorts this out (it's only the people who have all the best bits and not even a case fan that have issues ;)). or just get a barton athlon!
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    building a computer is cheapest option, it helps if you have a mate who knows exactly how to put a comp together so you can trouble shoot better, as you always miss something out 1st time you put it together

i agree whole-heartedly
  • Options
    Building your own is cheapest UNLESS something goes wrong and you blow up an expensive part.

Get a copy of MicroMart and look in there.

Many suppliers on there charge almost what it would cost to make it yourself and you get a warranty too
  • Options
    I agree with Placebo's comment on Overclockers (often abbreviated to "OcUK")... being a very reliable online shop. It is actually a physical shop based in Stoke-on-Trent as well as I live quite near to it (Stafford).

If you want dirt cheap stuff, then order from Microdirect (.co.uk). I've made a few successful orders from there. Bear in mind that OcUK is next-day delivery where Microdirect tends to be more like 3 days.
  • Options
    Yep, I've dealt with overclockers before and they were good, which is why I considered them. Have looked around and prices are around the same no matter where I go (I think it's because I'm after high end stuff really.)

I could save a bit going to places like vantage or eclipse computers, but then I am wary of getting shoddy components.

I don't mind putting the stuff together myself, and if anything was to blow up whilst I was doing it I'd send it back and say it was faulty. :D

Only thing I can't get on OC is a BFG geforce 6800 GT OC, which seem to be hard to find. But then so is the 6800 Ultra.
  • Options
    Try www.computerprices.co.uk or www.pcindex.co.uk to help search for parts, and the best prices on those parts.