Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weird taste

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok this is actually being posted for my dad (typical man won't go to the doctors ever!) but he said search the net! so I thought I'd ask you wise lot here!

He has had this before at about the same time of year. He has a weird taste in his mouth like peardrops and his tongue is coated yellow. He has had a smell as well as the taste of peardrops. He has in the past overused things like sudafed and nose sprays and they no longer work on him so I wondered if that could be related?

Or is it some sort of weird infection?

He doesn't smoke, he only drinks within the recommended units, he eats healthily and he is 50 next saturday. He just wants to know what it is as he is fed up.

And yes I have said go to the doctors but he won't!

Ta for any help guys!

Comments

• Options
    Is he on the atkins diet by any chance....? Sounds like ketosis to me.

Any other symptoms, thirst/weightloss etc?
  • Options
    could be something like diabetes too - he really should get checked out, especially if he has other symptoms.
  • Options
    as said already the peardrops smell is a BIG indicator of diabetes, i would tell your dad to go to the doc and get it checked. dont wish to alarm but i am diabetic myself and know this to be true.
  • Options
    Why won't he go to the doctors?

My dad wouldn't go for something either but both myself and my mum nagged him and nagged him and he ended up being treated for the early signs onf skin cancer.

Tell him that going to the GP could save his life. End of.

If he doesn't want to go to the docs he could buy some test strips from the chemist to test a sample of urine for glucose, another sign of diabetes.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! He won't go to the doctors-he has a bad foot and won't go! Gah!

You would think he would as similar to bumblebee my mom had a freckle that grew and it was DAD who made her go to the doc-can't listen to his own advice!

I'm gonna go tell him now what you have said!

Ok I'm back-last time he had it he did have a diabetes test but he didnt have it. I told him waht you guys said and he still isn't gonna go to the doctors-he said "oh it will go" But just cus he didnt test positive last time it doesn't mean the test lasts for life!(he had it was exactly 12 months ago he had the test-blood test)

Typical-man he's like one of the newbies on here who ask for advice but don't take it! grrr! Men! How can I get him to listen? Should I mention it to my doc next time I go if it hasn't gone by then and ask him if he wants to see dad? Tho I guess with patient confidentiality he can't answer.

Man if this was me I would get checked out straight away. Maybe he is scared of what it could be and doesn't want to change his lifestyle.
  • Options
    My dad is like that. Could he not even phone the doctor and talk to him/her then. And the doctor can advise what he needs to do, to get it treated.
  • Options
    Not like my dad then, he goes at the first sign of a sniffle!
  • Options
    doesn't thathappen when your body starts metabolising proteins instead of fats and carbs? - A level biology taught me something. Not sure why that would be, anorexics often get it apparently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by natos
    doesn't thathappen when your body starts metabolising proteins instead of fats and carbs? - A level biology taught me something. Not sure why that would be, anorexics often get it apparently.

Yes, ketosis - hence the questions abouts the atkins diet, (lack of carbohydrates causes it) the mention of any other symptoms (as ketosis occurs in diabetes).

If he won't go to the doctor, then there's nowt you can do. He's big enough to take care of himself. All you can do is express your concern to him.
  • Options
    You could call NHS direct - they're good at listening to symptoms over the phone:

NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47
  • Options
    He definetly shouldnt be experiencing ketosis-not deliberatly as he isn't on any diet. Tonight he was moaning to mom and I told him to go to the docs-its free for cripes sake! He said "oh no"

I said "are you scared? why won't you go?"

He siad "you know I don't do doctors"

Sop I said tha unless he goes to the doctors I am not gonna lietn to him moaning anymore. I've told him that everyone on here and other places-like nhs has said see the doctor.

But yeh, like smash says-he is big enough and old enough to sort himself out-he knows what I think and what I think he should do!

Spanner ta-I'm gonna print that out and leave it on his bed! He will have to see it whether or not he does anything!

As you can tell I'm a bit annoyed with him but again ta for your replies!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    How can I get him to listen?

Maybe he is scared of what it could be and doesn't want to change his lifestyle.
    You could have something there about him not wanting to go as he may have to confront something serious and unpleasant.

How to get him to go? How about tugging his heartstrings. A bit of emotional blackmail. Telling him that if it's diabetes or something serious that you don't want him to die (a little mild over dramatization, overacting, and even turning on the waterworks might help here). Try to make him realise that you don't want him to die and miss seeing you grow up (maybe hint college, uni, career, marriage, kids, grandchildren). Make him realise he'll be missed, and that he'll miss a lot if he's not there - ie dead.
  • Options
    lol I'll try -wed night when I see him last before I gop to reading-when he will be all "take care" I'll say! It might work! Make him think! Still if he spends his 50th bday weekend at the posh hotel they're gping to and he can't taste the amzing food-well he may well book straight away for the doc on tue. Fingers crossed!

Lol hey-theres not gonna be any grandkids for at least 8 yrs! lol!

Ta!
  • Options
    Check out DR Kats website. Dunno if it wud help.
  • Options
    thanks should I google that to find it? *does anyway*

well I've been away and he seems to have stopped moaning about it so I don't know whether he is pretending it is better or whether it is!