Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Respect

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive noticed that i automatically respect some people and not others but cant pinpoint why

What does a person have to do/be like to earn your respect?

Comments

• Options
    People automatically earn my respect then after a while it depends whether they seem to be idiots or any other thing tht offends me. People that you can automatically tell are neds/idiots/weirdos get none at all.
  • Options
    They have to be intelligent, not take themselves too seriously and give as good as they get.
  • Options
    Intelligent, considerate, not a wanker basically, wankers are what really piss me off.

And downright idiots.
  • Options
    I never respect anyone I meet automatically. Respect is always earned!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    People automatically earn my respect then after a while it depends whether they seem to be idiots or any other thing tht offends me. People that you can automatically tell are neds/idiots/weirdos get none at all.

Hmm yeah, I think a lot of people feel that others have to earn their respect, although I feel the exact opposite way. On meeting someone, I'll respect them totally - their views, opinions, actions - until they do something to lose that respect (which sadly happens quite often).

I hate it when I feel I have to prove myself to people to earn their respect, especially when their sole qualification for having the respect of others is their own superiority.

The hardest thing is to regain someone's respect once you've lost it, I think.

Man, I've said "respect" so many times there I feel like I've gone cross-eyed :p
  • Options
    Just a thought, I think that there's a basic level of respect that everyone should have, like a default, until you meet them, and they're classed as wankers or respectable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    I never respect anyone I meet automatically. Respect is always earned!

have to agree, im like that myself. i dont automatically know and label someone the first time i meet them but after a while i decide there label, i.e whether or not theyre a wankrag or not etc
  • Options
    There are different types of respect though.

There may be a 'basic decency' which people share. But regarding respect in terms of admiring someone, then that is earned. No one has to like anyone else!
  • Options
    On here I woulodnt respect or disrespect to many people most are in between, but a few have my respcet for certain things from good football knowlegde to good politiacal views from been able to deep throath,

But normally people who can form there own view of things and put it across as opposed to media peers etc: simple thing like dressing different is a start.

People who are motivated and succesful.
    people who help others without planning on getting anything in return.
    People who I or others can look up to
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    There are different types of respect though.

There may be a 'basic decency' which people share. But regarding respect in terms of admiring someone, then that is earned. No one has to like anyone else!

i think this is the only thing you've ever posted that i agree with.