Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Cost Of Bad Eyes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am annoyed. Because of my crappy vision (something like -6.5) I am having to spend £240 on stuff :( A 6 month supply of contact lenses is £110 while new special lenses for my glasses are £130. I dont have that sort of money, so Im going to have to mooch it off my parents. Im sure I am not the only one with this problem am i?

On a side note, do you think there should be optition services on the NHS?

Comments

• Options
    i think the NHS should help students or people with low income on buying glasses and things, and also on having eye examinations
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    i think the NHS should help students or people with low income on buying glasses and things, and also on having eye examinations

Yes, I am going to uni next month I wont be able to afford these sorts of things very easily :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Yes, I am going to uni next month I wont be able to afford these sorts of things very easily :(

i know nothing about it because as far as i know my eyes are fine, but as a student you might be entitled to help if you fill in a special form thing, im 19 and a student so i dont have to pay for dental costs on the NHS, might be something for eyes too

check the NHS website or something?
  • Options
    You're not 19 yet and you're still in full-time education renzo, so talk to your optician. You should still be entitled to help to the cosat of single vision lenses, though contact lenses are not available on the NHS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You're not 19 yet and you're still in full-time education renzo, so talk to your optician. You should still be entitled to help to the cosat of single vision lenses, though contact lenses are not available on the NHS.

I have to get special lenses though thats the thing, otherwise they would be too thick for most glasses.
  • Options
    I have extreme short-sightedness and because my eyes aren't the regular football shape, ordinary contacts don't fit the contours of my rugby ball shaped eye balls.

Glasses cost me around £230 and one pair of specially made conact lenses also cost me £280. And, I'm only 18 :mad:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2

We have a low income and get help, so it is out there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I have to get special lenses though thats the thing, otherwise they would be too thick for most glasses.
    My sis has the same prob (also about +6.5) and she can still get an NHS voucher towards her glasses. They still cost a fortune though. :(
  • Options
    i'm glad i've got 20/20 vision, that amount of money is scandelous :mad:
  • Options
    the nhs paid for my lenses and £30 towards my frames too.
    bargainous.
  • Options
    I hate this-a major gripe! I do go to the local indie glasses shop (you have visions of lil studenty type opticians in keane hoodies now huh?!) and they are cheaper than D & H who ripped me off loads.

I have a friend who as she had severe short sighted eyes got nhs paid laser eye surgery-apparently if your eyes are over -8 or -8.5 you are allowed to have it free-well its taken as a case to a board who can deny or accept it. She told me to ask about it but I just got new specs so am gonna wait a year.
  • Options
    i pay about £20 a month on contacts, surely thats not too much?i dont find it that bad and thats for coloured monthlys, when they were not coloured they were £13 and that included solutions. im a 1.25 and a 1.75 short sighted