Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wild shrooms etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, i live in coastal scotland..and i *hear* there are wild shrooms available to pick.

Can you obtain them in britan? just wild. I have done plenty of reading about them..but i dont know what they would look like here..any more information would be golden.

I have also never tried shrooms, but my mentality and desire for take off is on par with what they are about.:-)

help.x

R

Comments

• Options
    yes they can be found growing wild in britain but i would strongly advice NOT to go out and pick some unless you are 110% sure what you're picking, my advice would be to go into a herbal shop or something like that, you can be them there legally, i think.
  • Options
    Since making the thread i have found pictures of Semilanceata and thats the kind i wish to seek..since i am lead to believe the other is some bad shit.

the cliche looking mushroom with white lumps -Muscaria -

anyone picked the first? any further help?
  • Options
    Fly Agaric you mean? They arent the usual type of 'magic mushroom'.

Skive should be able to tell you a bit about them, I've never done them.

If you are out and about and wanted to pick mushrooms the most common are the liberty caps.

I'm sure www.erowid.org will have a picture, either that or buy a book.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I will preclude this by saying - Be very very careful!!! I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND you don't pick muchrooms yourself. The following is from this page on Erowid -
    Wild Mushroom Identification Warning

There is NO way to identify a mushroom based solely on a photo or even a written description. Identifying mushrooms is a complex process and it's easy to make mistakes. There are many varieties of both edible and psychoactive mushrooms which have poisonous look-alikes. Even an expert can be fooled by the outward appearance of these deadly look-alikes.

Unless you can either explore with a mycologist or knowledgeable and seasoned mushroom hunter, or take the time to learn the careful process of mushroom identification yourself through reading books and preferably joining a mycological society...we would strongly recommend not eating mushrooms you pick yourself.

Learning to identify mushrooms isn't difficult in and of itself, but it takes training. Because the down-side of eating a poisonous mushroom is so great...one needs to be extraordinarily careful.

You can find more information on TheSite and Erowid.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by x .beepbeep.
    the cliche looking mushroom with white lumps -Muscaria -

These are the ones I prefer, the Fly Agarics. Easy to recognise and something completely different to anything else.

Having said that Semilanceata (Liberty Caps) are the most commonly picked ones in this country - that is not to say they are easier to find though.

If I were you I would just order some off the net.
    Weekender Offender