Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should this be banned?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3577112.stm

Aren't stereotypes based on truth though? Maybe it was true that SOME black men were bad fathers in the past, or were lazy.

Would this programme seek to further spread or advance negative stereotypes of black men?

Comments

• Options
    I think certainly there is an issue there that should be addressed, the academic and job prospects of black teenage boys are depressing.

It depends totally on how it has been done.
  • Options
    Yeah there is definitely an issue, but I think perhaps it needs to be presented slightly differently - the way it stands now it is bound to be highly misinterpreted by racists who see what they want to see. It sounds like within the programme there needs to be more of an emphasis on the positives and an exploration into the issues in relation to the caucasian population also - like for example how boys in general are doing worse in exams etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by almost_innocent
    Yeah there is definitely an issue, but I think perhaps it needs to be presented slightly differently - the way it stands now it is bound to be highly misinterpreted by racists who see what they want to see. It sounds like within the programme there needs to be more of an emphasis on the positives and an exploration into the issues in relation to the caucasian population also - like for example how boys in general are doing worse in exams etc.

Racists always see what they want to see. The people that this show seems to be wanting to help change, black men and the black community, aren't going to listen to some middle classed white guy with a rod up his arse. It's an important issue, and one that needs to be addressed by the right person. Let's see how it goes
  • Options
    Criticise a section of the community and suddenly it's racist.

There are serious issues ot be addressed in the black community, because social involvement is dangerously low. I don't know very mcuh about the black community, but there does seem to be an awful lot of lawlessness and extreme homophobia in the culture, which is a serious issue.

Someone always has to be offended in this sodding country. fair criticism always seems to get lost in the barrage of "disgusted" people.

*sigh*
  • Options
    Yup... anything is 'racist' these days... People get offended at the slightest thing... I mean it's sad. Why can't some people get their heads out of their arses once in a while.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Yup... anything is 'racist' these days... People get offended at the slightest thing... I mean it's sad. Why can't some people get their heads out of their arses once in a while.

Oi! Are you saying that all black people have their heads up their arses?! That's a bit racist isn't it?

:crazyeyes racism my backside.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Oi! Are you saying that all black people have their heads up their arses?! That's a bit racist isn't it?

:crazyeyes racism my backside.

Nope, I meant some PC people have their heads up their arses. But I'm sure some of these PC people will be black, asian, caucasian and so on...
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Nope, I meant some PC people have their heads up their arses. But I'm sure some of these PC people will be black, asian, caucasian and so on...

Sorry, I was actually being sacastic, and totally agree with your original point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Criticise a section of the community and suddenly it's racist.

There are serious issues ot be addressed in the black community, because social involvement is dangerously low. I don't know very mcuh about the black community, but there does seem to be an awful lot of lawlessness and extreme homophobia in the culture, which is a serious issue.

Someone always has to be offended in this sodding country. fair criticism always seems to get lost in the barrage of "disgusted" people.

*sigh*

Homophobia exists in other parts of British society other than blacks!

If he's criticising black men, then he has a point. Black men HAVE in the past been noted as being bad fathers!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Homophobia exists in other parts of British society other than blacks!

No-one is denying this. Do you have to shout the whole time?
  • Options
    I'm not shouting at all!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    I'm not shouting at all!

You read as if you are shouting because you use exclaimation marks so much.
  • Options
    i do like how many programs, including this one get complaints about them, before they even air
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i do like how many programs, including this one get complaints about them, before they even air

How do you mean? Or did you miss out a 'not'?
  • Options
    You read as if you are shouting because you use exclaimation marks so much.

Exclamation marks are fun! If you read the boards user guide, it says writing in capital letters is classed as shouting, so therefore exclamation marks are just to provide vigorous emphasis, or something.

And I don't think it should be banned straight off, but it should be checked thoroughly by a multi-race board of censors etc to make sure that it will not incite racial hatred etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Exclamation marks are fun! If you read the boards user guide, it says writing in capital letters is classed as shouting, so therefore exclamation marks are just to provide vigorous emphasis, or something.

And I don't think it should be banned straight off, but it should be checked thoroughly by a multi-race board of censors etc to make sure that it will not incite racial hatred etc.

I would consider exclaimation marks either as emphasis, or as a raised voice, depending on the sentance. In your example it's only emphasis, for some reason, whenever Kaptin Pikarrrd posts, it seems like he has to shout to make his point. Personally I try to avoid them in this forum, but that's because of my style.

Perhaps checking for inciting racial hatred would be a more productive course of action.
  • Options
    how is it racist for a man to criticise his own race, its done with white people all the time, surely yo cant complain until you see it, see if its tasteful or not
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    how is it racist for a man to criticise his own race, its done with white people all the time, surely yo cant complain until you see it, see if its tasteful or not

Good point, well made.
  • Options

Good points.

Personally I think what is often left out of documentaries like this is the class issue. Black Britons are mainly working class, issues involving crime, fatherhood and educational attainment are occuring similairly in working class white and asian communities.

Focussing on the problems of one racial group rather than all those effected is divisive and causes resentment. Its this sort of scenario which pushes thoses that feel ignored into the arms of racial or religious extremism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Good points.

Personally I think what is often left out of documentaries like this is the class issue. Black Britons are mainly working class, issues involving crime, fatherhood and educational attainment are occuring similairly in working class white and asian communities.

Maybe there's more to it than being working class?
  • Options

Thats quite a generalisation, Black isnt Black per say, Southern Africans tend to dislike Northern Africans, both being 'Black'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I don't know very mcuh about the black community, but there does seem to be an awful lot of lawlessness and extreme homophobia in the culture, which is a serious issue.

True, but you could say the same for "the white community" as well.
    btw - there is no one "black community". There are lots of "black communities", same as there are lots of different white communitites.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Good points.

Focussing on the problems of one racial group rather than all those effected is divisive and causes resentment. Its this sort of scenario which pushes thoses that feel ignored into the arms of racial or religious extremism.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Maybe there's more to it than being working class?

True. There is definitely more than one factor involved, what I'm saying is too often the focus is too narrow. These types of programmes are watched by people who will form personal opinion on their content. The other issues need to be focussed on as well, IMO
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if once, just once, black people could make up their own minds as to what offends and what doesn't?

I've seen a lot of the different areas which the documentary/series covers (please excuse the grammar) and I think it would be very interesting to watch. Of course it occurs in all communities, but perhaps someone else will cover the other communities at another point. I'm sure the different communities vary.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats quite a generalisation, Black isnt Black per say, Southern Africans tend to dislike Northern Africans, both being 'Black'.

Yes, in the same way that Africans tend to dislike West Indian people. Which is why I don't understand the term "black community" because, as stated by Blagsta, there are many different black communities in the same way that there are many white communities and Asian communities.
  • Options
    is it ok to still dislike the french?
  • Options
    Well to be frank I dont really like any reference to the Black community or Asian community. It makes NO difference what colour you are!!

If your colour is your defining feature you've got something seriously fucked in your head.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    is it ok to still dislike the french?

Yes, we can still dislike the french.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda If your colour is your defining feature you've got something seriously fucked in your head.

Not really. I just means you lack any personality whatsoever.