Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

oil production has peaked.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
at 80 million barrels a day. all the big oil men have said we will never produce 80million barrels a day ever again.
it can now only go down ...just as china and asia's demands are rocketing.
no wonder corporate america has taken over the biggest military machine on earth.
as recourses dwindle and/or become more inacessable ...the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer ...the rich are grabbing those dwindling rescourses fast and by any means.

there is no alternative to oil on the horrizon at the moment. nothing that can return as much energy output for so little energy input that is.
the whole of the western world needs reshaping to have any chance of survivng in it's present shape and form.
whats being done about?
very little.

Comments

• Options
    i'm not worried, i'll live on solar power and i'm pretty sure by 2040 when oil gets really dry, there'll be something new that can be made or grows in abundance, either that or i'll die of an overdose in 2026, who cares.
  • Options
    The free market will adapt, it always has and probably always will.

Thats the major advantage about it, it adapts.
  • Options
    I think the whole structure of society may change because of it.

Think about the society we live in dominated by the car,
    EG if you look at citys in America, take New York vs Los Angeles
    New York was built on the train, with a centre and outlying towns with train stations for transport, Los angeles built by the car just an urban spread.

Think about where people work because of the car you can work 100 miles from you home, and freight is shipped around the country with no thought for localisation.

That will all change soon, We shouldne be too bad though we have north sea oil, running out but its still there, and we have coal in the ground which can be turned into oil.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum

That will all change soon, We shouldne be too bad though we have north sea oil, running out but its still there, and we have coal in the ground which can be turned into oil.

i don't think we should be running from the problem, we need to face it full on, sure our generation will be ok but think of our children, oil should be an option, not a requirement.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    be made or grows in abundance, either that or i'll die of an overdose in 2026, who cares.
    ya daft sod!
    tell you what the answer is ...cannabis.
    grows anywhere ...does the soil good ...minimum labour ...cloths oils and bio fuel. cannabis is the way forwrd but ...thats a lot of food producing land being turned over to the production of non food.
  • Options
    Give me a chance, I'll be on it once I graduate, viewhere second one down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Give me a chance, I'll be on it once I graduate, viewhere second one down.
    can you have it sorted by xmas?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Why don't poor countries and even the Middle East generate electricity from solar panels? Then sell it off. It's a brilliant way of making money as it does nothing to the environment but the landscape doesn't look too great. Oh I know what a problem is... cost, they are rather expensive arn't they?
    at the moment massively expensive ...so expensive that there are NO large scale projects anywhere on the planet.
    the manufacture of solar pannels is very poluting.
  • Options
    exactly the same reason any country in the world that has sun doesnt build them
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    yeah but won't they finally generate loads of electrcity and it's clean and they last for ever! Well ages anyway.
    my big concern is the short term our modern leaders seem to deal in ...if a major war or natural catastrophe occured which cut deeply into the oil supplies ...where would we be?
    all the hydrogen/solar/bio ...is all very well in the long term but what if ...
    why are we not massively rebuilding our societies away from oil dependancyl ike yesterday?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    can you have it sorted by xmas?

I won't have graduated for 6 years, so give me until the christmas after that?
  • Options
    I won't have graduated for 6 years, so give me until the christmas after that?
    typical ...who needs bleedin qualifications to rule the world? no one so far has had them!
  • Options
    typical ...who needs bleedin qualifications to rule the world? no one so far has had them!

Don't need them to rule the world, only to design an engine that doesn't need any derivative of oil.
  • Options
    Don't need them to rule the world, only to design an engine that doesn't need any derivative of oil.
    already been done ...it's called the horse ...trouble is theres only people like me who are willing or prepared to go forward like that ...
  • Options
    already been done ...it's called the horse ...trouble is theres only people like me who are willing or prepared to go forward like that ...

horse isn't a valid alternative. Firstly there's the vast releasing of greenhouse gases, and the volume of feed and water to keep a horse active. It simply isn't a more eco-friendly option.
  • Options
    people also forget almost all chemicals come from oil too, most synthetic clothing is, most drugs are made from it etc etc

thats y we shuldnt waste all our oil on fuel
  • Options
    Fusion power is the way forward. Either that or giant microwave transmitters in orbit beaming concentrated sunlight down to Earth.

Personally, I'm thinking of investing in a few solar panels. Maybe enough to power a few appliances and not an entire house, but it'll be better than nothing when the lights go out.
  • Options
    There are a few solor furnaces, they dont work in the same way as the pannels and are supposed to be cheaper. Bascially it works on the same principle as killing an ant with a magnifying glass.

You build a big sun trap with mirrors, focus as much of the light in one place, ta da! you have free heat which can be used as power.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

You build a big sun trap with mirrors, focus as much of the light in one place, ta da! you have free heat which can be used as power.
    you seen much sun to trap lately bong?
  • Options
    No, not here, I believe there is one of these power stations in the desert in California.