Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody here know anyone that has suffered mental health problems as a result of smoking cannabis?

Is it that common??!

Comments

• Options
    The research is far from all that certain. It appears that there is a link between heavy early teenage smoking and mental health issues.

BUT, is this a causal link or a correlation link. In that is it just the type of person who smokes lots or is it the smoking causing the problem. No one really knows.

I would say that there probably is some link between heavy smoking at an early age and mental health issues. Teenage years are hard enough to deal with and personality changes really important, to add in lots of pot isnt going to help matters.

As for adults, well the picture becomes even less clear cut. Cannabis is a hallucinogen, so those with existing mental health problems probably arent going to be helped by it.

But then some people swear it helps them with stress.

In other words the picture is far from clear. I would suggest that moderate use by those of late teenage and above is normally going to be totally fine.

Heavy use, or use by those young or with mental health problems is probably unwise.
  • Options
    bongbudda, what would you consider heavy use? Because I'm not really sure if I'm smoking a little more than I should.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I'm not really sure if I'm smoking a little more than I should.
    i'm pretty sure that i am and have over the years but mad? no. depressed? no. bone idle? no.
    stoned? yes.
  • Options
    i hav a joint at least once a day cus its hard to sleep otherwise wiv the heat. or at least that's what i like to blame it on. i did however buy a bong yesterday which i can't wait to use! i go through £15-20 of skunk a week.. this is no problem for me as i know i can quit when ever i wish.
  • Options
    If you think you are using a bit too much then you are using a bit too much.

Whats too much? I'd say if your spending most of your spare time stonned then perhaps thats a bit much. Or if you are getting really really stonned on a daily basis.

But of course everyone is different.
  • Options
    how long is a piece of string when your smoking old rope?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If you think you are using a bit too much then you are using a bit too much.

Whats too much? I'd say if your spending most of your spare time stonned then perhaps thats a bit much. Or if you are getting really really stonned on a daily basis.

But of course everyone is different.

Because I'm living in my flat and at my mums in equal measures, I tend to smoke a bit for half the week then not smoke it when I'm at my mums, so I tend to have a few days break a lot, so i guess it's probably not too much really.
  • Options
    Getting wasted everyday for hours will fuck you up in the head, you can bet on that lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Getting wasted everyday for hours will fuck you up in the head, you can bet on that lol.

i spent 3 years smoking it practically every day and i can certainly say my head is fucked up, sometimes when i smoke it now i get flashbacks of acid trips and i know this shouldn't really happen, it really freaks me out cos i think this problem could stay forever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i spent 3 years smoking it practically every day and i can certainly say my head is fucked up, sometimes when i smoke it now i get flashbacks of acid trips and i know this shouldn't really happen, it really freaks me out cos i think this problem could stay forever.

I've spent about 8 months being out my face, finished my last half ounce on Monday i think it was, talk about with withdrawal :crazyeyes

When you can't remember what you've done for the best part of a year, your vision is still "stoned" and you're getting the fear when you've not even been smoking, it's time to take a break lol.

To be honest i've heard loads of people getting flashbacks when they smoke, i think its par for the course. Play with fire and all that.
  • Options
    Flashbacks are not a chemical change brought on by the cannabis and its far from definate that they will stay forever.

They are just strong memory which is brought forward from memory to the current by smoking.
  • Options
    Flashbacks are not a chemical change brought on by the cannabis and its far from definate that they will stay forever.

They are just strong memory which is brought forward from memory to the current by smoking.

Fucking with your mind with pyschedelics will leave you with problems that are for most people probably permanent, any lasting changes after a trip will most likely stay with you...HPPD and dissociative disorders being the main culprits.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is some information on Erowid about HPPD, or Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder, here in case anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Fucking with your mind with pyschedelics will leave you with problems that are for most people probably permanent, any lasting changes after a trip will most likely stay with you...HPPD and dissociative disorders being the main culprits.

Thats a generalisation though, and people who have problems with hallucinogens in the first place are a minority of those who use them.

Virtually all mental health problems can be solved, it just takes time and work.
  • Options
    Thats a generalisation though, and people who have problems with hallucinogens in the first place are a minority of those who use them.

Virtually all mental health problems can be solved, it just takes time and work.

The majority of people who do "hallucigens" generally don't do them properly...eg. silly twats who pretend they smoke weed by crumbling a few bits of shitebar into their roll-ups.

Hallucigens are pretty dangerous, there's no denying it, and even cannabis isn't risk-free and without drawbacks.
  • Options
    Halllucinogens can be dangerous. But not necessarily. I've done plenty of acid, shrooms, weed, 2CB etc in my time and I haven't suffered from HPPD. Some people do, some don't.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's Cake that you want to watch out for.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i have to say with my resent experiance, smoking as a release, can cause problems later (but as in a few days later, i don't know about years later as i haven't got that far ahead yet). but to be honest, if you have problems- laytent or otherwise- they are gonna show up sooner or later.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    i have to say with my resent experiance, smoking as a release, can cause problems later (but as in a few days later, i don't know about years later as i haven't got that far ahead yet). but to be honest, if you have problems- laytent or otherwise- they are gonna show up sooner or later.

i seriously doubt smoking flat out for a few days will give you a long term problem. why do you smoke drugs as a release, dope is the one drug that will fuck your head up even more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

What the heck is cake? :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

Brass Eye? :p

That HPPD stuff interests me, in the link that LadyJade gave it said..

In mild cases, subjects occasionally experience minor visual distortions. In its most severe forms, subjects have a full range of LSD-like visual effects such as tracers, color trails, and distorted object sizes on an ongoing basis.

Can this disorder develop only if the person had used hallucinogenics, or is it possible to contract it without having used the drugs at all?
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma

Can this disorder develop only if the person had used hallucinogenics, or is it possible to contract it without having used the drugs at all?

why are you suffering some of the symptoms?

i thought it was interesting aswell, i think alot of it is in your head, most of my trip outs happen when i'm just staring into mid air, i reckon if you just forget about it you won't see anything.
  • Options
    why are you suffering some of the symptoms?

Nah not really, I get the odd thing from time to time but nothing I'd be concerned about.

I was just thinking if some poor bastard could go their whole life never using drugs, and develop severe symptoms like the full on acid effects it was talking about - could imagine that really messing someones head up if they've never experienced it before!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Have you heard about DHMO yet?

Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the greenhouse effect.
    may cause severe burns.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile
    brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the Midwest, and recently California. Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of Styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains
    contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain junk-foods and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its importance to the economic health of this nation. In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

It's Not Too Late!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hallucigens are pretty dangerous, there's no denying it, and even cannabis isn't risk-free and without drawbacks.

I wasnt denying it, where did I say that I did. Please tell me.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

From the same article -
    HPPD is defined to be caused by taking 'hallucinogenic' drugs, but its root cause is poorly understood. Dr. Henry Abraham ( a leading researcher in this area) believes that HPPD may be partially genetic though he says that he knows of no published evidence [personal communication - tacovan]. It seems to be most commonly related to LSD use, perhaps because LSD is the most common hallucinogen, but there are also reports of HPPD being caused by other psychedelics such as mushrooms, MDMA, MDA, 2CT7, 5-MEO-DiPT, etc. There are a few people who have HPPD-like symptoms who have never taken any drugs, but the definition of Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder does not include these individuals.
  • Options
    Curious that they mention 2-C-T7 and 5-meo-dipt, those drugs are/have been used only by a tiny minority of people, probably only in the 1000's world wide.
  • Options
    I wasnt denying it, where did I say that I did. Please tell me.

Did I say that you did?
  • Options
    Did I say that you did?

this game can go on forever.:)
  • Options
    this game can go on forever.:)

lol