Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Train Wierdo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do you get so many wierd arseholes on trains?

My brother and I were coming back from Glasgow on the train today. For some reason or other Scotland was metioned in a conversation about potato imports (Mick had just come back from a University expedition to Trinidad with a load of bugs).

minutes later after the conversation had passed on, some wierdo comes up to us and asks what Michael had said about Scotland. Initial thought: WTF?

Basically he was saying something on the lines of "don't insult my country or i'll gie youse a doin'." despite us having done no such thing. When he said "Go back south of the border where you came from" I was frankly offended.

My thoughts: "Why don't you shove your border up your insecure xenophobic arse. We've been part of the same country for 300 years. Deal with it!"

Of course I didn't say this to his face to avoid a "doin".

It seems you don't have to be coloured to be the subject of racist abuse in this country.

Comments

• Options
    In fairness his behaviour has nothing at all to do with being on a train. I'm sure he'd be a dickhead no matter where you'd been in Scotland, so leave the trains out of this! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    In fairness his behaviour has nothing at all to do with being on a train. I'm sure he'd be a dickhead no matter where you'd been in Scotland, so leave the trains out of this! :p

I agree, clearly he was speaking in code though
    I'm a wanker
    is what he actually wanted to say to you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I agree, clearly he was speaking in code though
    I think it was more like:
    I'm a sheepshagger.
  • Options
    Just ignore them in future.

He really committed no criminal offence, so in that sense he did no wrong. You get weird people in all walks of life, so just move on and don't let them bother you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Its just that I often see people being offensive to other passengers on trains (usually while drunk, although I don't think this guy was). It kind of sticks in your mind.

I have nothing against trains, in fact I love trains. Its just the passengers that bug me. If only I could afford first class (although this was option isn't available on the Ayr-Glasgow train anyway)...
  • Options
    This is why every single Jock should be sent home, and they should rebuild Hadrians Wall.

Or not, depending on how facetious I'm feeling:)
  • Options
    rebuilding the wall eh?

we at least have to do something to stop the tidal wave of porridge sweeping into the northern regions of england
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    rebuilding the wall eh?

we at least have to do something to stop the tidal wave of porridge sweeping into the northern regions of england

Maybe we could set up some kind of exchange for the pashmina wearing, floppy haired yahs that seem to populate our universities? ;)

We'd be quite happy to have you all encapsulated behind a modern hadrians wall anyway, and I'm sure you would be quite comfortable in your country where everything was invented by us. :p

The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Charles Mackintosh from Glasgow, SCOTLAND. En route to his office he strides along an English lane surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, SCOTLAND. Sometimes he drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop of Dreghorn, SCOTLAND. At the office he receives the mail, bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers of Dundee, SCOTLAND. During the day he uses the telephone, invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, SCOTLAND. At home in the evening, his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by blacksmith Kirkpatrick Macmillan of Dumfries, SCOTLAND. He watches the news on television, invented by John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, SCOTLAND, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy, founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, SCOTLAND. He has by now been reminded too much of SCOTLAND and in desperation he picks up the bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a SCOT, King James VI, who authorised its translation. Nowhere can an Englishman escape the ingenuity of the SCOTS. He could take to drink, but the SCOTS make the best in the world. He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, SCOTLAND. If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table, being injected with penicillin, discovered by Alexander Fleming of Darvel, SCOTLAND, and given an anaesthetic, discovered by Sir James Young Simpson of Bathgate, SCOTLAND. On coming out of the anaesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England, founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, SCOTLAND. Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid SCOTTISH blood, which would entitle him to ask

''WHA'S LIKE US ? GIE FEW,,AND THEY'RE AW DEID!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Charles Mackintosh from Glasgow, SCOTLAND. En route to his office he strides along an English lane surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, SCOTLAND. Sometimes he drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop of Dreghorn, SCOTLAND. At the office he receives the mail, bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers of Dundee, SCOTLAND. During the day he uses the telephone, invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, SCOTLAND. At home in the evening, his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by blacksmith Kirkpatrick Macmillan of Dumfries, SCOTLAND. He watches the news on television, invented by John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, SCOTLAND, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy, founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, SCOTLAND. He has by now been reminded too much of SCOTLAND and in desperation he picks up the bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a SCOT, King James VI, who authorised its translation. Nowhere can an Englishman escape the ingenuity of the SCOTS. He could take to drink, but the SCOTS make the best in the world. He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, SCOTLAND. If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table, being injected with penicillin, discovered by Alexander Fleming of Darvel, SCOTLAND, and given an anaesthetic, discovered by Sir James Young Simpson of Bathgate, SCOTLAND. On coming out of the anaesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England, founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, SCOTLAND.

Yes, but apart from all of that, what HAVE the Scots ever done for us? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Yes, but apart from all of that, what HAVE the Scots ever done for us? ;)

Tony Blair
  • Options
  • Options
    The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Charles Mackintosh from Glasgow, SCOTLAND. En route to his office he strides along an English lane surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, SCOTLAND...
    Maybe the man was so jealous because he was on a train, an English invention!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Tony Blair

AND Gordon Brown.

Scotland has given us New Labour. That is enough to nuke the fucking place.

Scotland drains the NHS, it is a dying country bleeding a robust nation dry. WE pay for the heart disease that the Scottish breed.

My dad was in Fort William and a guy ordered a pie in the fish shop- straight in the deep fat fryer it went. That's how civilised Scotland is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd

He really committed no criminal offence, so in that sense he did no wrong. You get weird people in all walks of life, so just move on and don't let them bother you.

Ah, but technnically he did.
    The railway has an entire set of rules and laws which are enforceable by the transport police. One of them, which we are allowed to use at the local train stations is
    "Behaviour which is unsuitable for a railway" or something seemingly obscure.
    Basically, if anyone so much as bats an eyelid and a transport officer doesn't like it they can be arrested.

But anyway, thats why I don't use public transport too often. I like my personal space, and as a tank of petrol is still cheaper than a single ticket to most places on a train I will continue using my car.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Maybe the man was so jealous because he was on a train, an English invention!

Except that was a scottish invention aswell :P
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    AND Gordon Brown.

Scotland drains the NHS, it is a dying country bleeding a robust nation dry. WE pay for the heart disease that the Scottish breed.

My dad was in Fort William and a guy ordered a pie in the fish shop- straight in the deep fat fryer it went. That's how civilised Scotland is.

Yes because clearly absolutely everybody in Scotland has heart disease.
  • Options
  • Options
    Except that was a scottish invention aswell :P
    :confused:

Actually, I've just checked my sources.
    According to the Encyclopedia of railways "Wooden railways, guiding wooden waggons running on flanged wheels, were probably first used in England in the early 16th century, the idea having arrived from Germany."
    The first passenger carrying railway was the Oystermouth railway in Wales, which opened in 1806! The first railway to use steam locomotives was of course the Stockton-Darlington railway in England.

The earliest source I can find for a Scottish railway was a waggonway that ran accross the battlefield at Culloden.

Trust me, I'm a trainspotter!
  • Options
    Yes because clearly absolutely everybody in Scotland has heart disease.

Highest rates of heart disease in the whole of Europe.

I'd suggest that a lot do.
  • Options
    :confused:

Actually, I've just checked my sources.
    According to the Encyclopedia of railways "Wooden railways, guiding wooden waggons running on flanged wheels, were probably first used in England in the early 16th century, the idea having arrived from Germany."
    The first passenger carrying railway was the Oystermouth railway in Wales, which opened in 1806! The first railway to use steam locomotives was of course the Stockton-Darlington railway in England.

The earliest source I can find for a Scottish railway was a waggonway that ran accross the battlefield at Culloden.

Trust me, I'm a trainspotter!

Aye my mistake. Think it was the actual locomotive invented by a scotsman, not the rails themselves. Big love.
  • Options

Doesn't mean you pay for it. Including north sea oil revenues, Scotland has contributed £24billion more in tax in the last 20 years than we've received in public spending. We also pay on average 11% more in tax per head than the average UK taxpayer. We're hardly a dying country bleeding the rest of the union dry.

Kthx.
  • Options

That's all down to the delights of Glasgow - Govan and Springburn! ;)
  • Options
    AND Gordon Brown.

Race riots in Oldham and various other unspeakable places in that area. How civilised England is.
  • Options
    Aye my mistake. Think it was the actual locomotive invented by a scotsman, not the rails themselves. Big love.
    You must be thinking of James Watt. He helped develop the first stationary engines, but it was Richard Trevithick (a Cornishman) who made the first steam railway locomotive.
  • Options
    You must be thinking of James Watt. He helped develop the first stationary engines, but it was Richard Trevithick (a Cornishman) who made the first steam railway locomotive.

Richard Trevithick invented the first tramway locomotives, not railway.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The first passenger carrying railway was the Oystermouth railway in Wales, which opened in 1806!

Wrong! The first passenger carrying railway was the Middleton Railway in Leeds which opened in 1758.
  • Options
    The Middleton railway is the oldest railway in the world, but didn't start carrying passengers on it till 1812. The oystermouth or Mumbles was first passenger carrying company.
  • Options
    Richard Trevithick invented the first tramway locomotives, not railway.
    Same difference.
  • Options
    Same difference.

Not.