Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dying over Dyed hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like to dye my hair dark/blue (basicly how Seth Green has it in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me) but my hair is half of my natural colour (dark brown) and my dyed blonde colour. First of all is it safe to dye over already existing dye? and will it be in different shades or will it all be one shade?

Comments

• Options
    Its been a while since i stopped dying my hair, but i generally found that the lighter the colour your dying on the lighter the final colour will be .... so, yes, if your hair is two shades, the lighter parts will look different to the darker parts when dyed.

Peace

Edited to say: and yes it is ok to dye over predyed hair, but if it was recently done and your using permanent dyes with lots of nasty chemicals in them, then your hairs probably gonna be a bit strawy. Use lots of loverly conditioner.
  • Options
    if you're dying a dark shade with blue tones over bleached hair, the bleached bits might turn out a lot brighter blue than you expected. this is not necessarily a bad thing - it might look really cool. it's a kind of try it and see scenario.

dying over dyed hair isn't great for the condition, but i'm guessing you have shortish hair anyway? if you do, it won't matter as much about the condition, cause it'll grow back soon enough. either that, or invest in a good colour-care conditioner ;)
  • Options
    ooo i dyed my hair that colour on fri. als put in a bit of dark purple,violet+magents :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, made it a bit more reassuring now, lol. Just so long as my hair doesn't turn green (how thats worse than blue, I'm not sure)
  • Options
    I always dye over dyed hair - though usually it's the same kinda shade.

I always follow the instructions for 'first time dying', too. I perhaps shouldn't but I want an all over colour not just a touch up.