Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

trend setter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i really want a pair of cow boy bots and iv wanted them quite a while and now there in fashion. they've appeared in heat magazine for gods sake. its not fair. now evry1s gonna have them and i cant afford them and then il finally have enuf money for a pair and evryone will have them so i wont want them anymore.

it was the same with trucker caps. i had one first. and i wanted a von dutch hat and i dint have the money and then i finally did and everyone had one.

ergh...

just my frustration

dont get any cow boy boots. i've claimed them

thank you

Comments

• Options
    I was the first woman to wear jeans... now look at how the trend has spread :( But don't worry, I'd never wear cow boy boots, and I'll stay away from the hats too :thumb:
  • Options
    Everybody likes to think of themself as being the first, when in reality it's all lies, and they're copying it off somebody else.

Too many clones going about today.
  • Options
    you lie

you just cant stick it that im so kool

deal with it

i want cow boy boots

(and less of the sarcasm thank you)
  • Options
    i felt like that when I got my belly button pierced back in 1993 when I was at college. Id only ever seen a few people with it, and it was quite an `alternative` thing to do.A lot of people found it really shocking for some reason. I kept it in for about a year, but by then, it had become a lot more popular, so the novelty wasnt there anymore for me and I took it out.
    bastards.
  • Options
    i :heart: when people claim they wore things before anyone else.

cowboy boots. right. you missed the 70s then, yeah?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Super-human
    you lie

you just cant stick it that im so kool

deal with it

i want cow boy boots

(and less of the sarcasm thank you)

You're 16 love, fashion DOES NOT revolve around you. It started before you were an egg in your Mum's ovaries. Fuck, you look at ANY fashion designer and you'll see that the trends they make were influenced probably well before you or anyone else on these boards were about.

Just because YOU say "I want cowboy boots/trucker caps" doesn't mean to say you're a trend setter.

I believe before Pharrell Williams wore trucker caps, it was Billy Bob on the "Silver Fox" Lorry driving Budweiser from state to state who was indeed the trucker cap bearer. :yes:
  • Options
    awww,i feel for you hon'! i hate when something looks really good,a bit 'edgy' + different,until its picked up by the glossies + suddenly its everywhere. it just ruins it a wee bit + i feel like a clone walking down the high street in what was really quite 'out there' last month.
    'tis really quite buggin.

but to stop a rucus before i add to it,i can see everyone else's point too.
  • Options
    I dont think I had my navel done before anyone else, just that it wasnt particularly popular in 1993.
    I dont for a minute think I inspired the trend either LOL, it was just an annoying coincidence. When I did it, piercings were still kind of seen as the domain of the fetish society, but in the course of a year it became more popular - not even nearly as popular as it is now, but still popular enough for me to be bored of it.
    Nowadays it probably wouldnt bother me if something became popular or not, If I liked it, id wear it, but back in the day (lol) it was something that was important to me when I was trying to be subversive and alternative.
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from, but in the end people won't look at you as a follower if you wear it with your own style.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I dont think I had my navel done before anyone else, just that it wasnt particularly popular in 1993.
    I dont for a minute think I inspired the trend either LOL, it was just an annoying coincidence.

no, i totally get that.

it annoys me when things i wear become fashionable, and people accuse me of just buying them cause they're in. major example - converse all stars. I had some when they were big in the 80s, fell in love, and just never stopped wearing them. then they came back in last year and suddenly everyone thinks i'm a fashion whore. i don't think i started the trend though. not being alive in 50s america and all. that would just be silly.

does make it easier to get them though....
  • Options
    what really annoys me is that when someone considers someone to be cool because they have their own individual style that they haven't copied from anyone, they end up copying that cool, individual person's style so it isn't cool anymore.
    that probably doesn't make any sense but hopefully you get what I mean.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    no, i totally get that.

it annoys me when things i wear become fashionable, and people accuse me of just buying them cause they're in. major example - converse all stars. I had some when they were big in the 80s, fell in love, and just never stopped wearing them. then they came back in last year and suddenly everyone thinks i'm a fashion whore. i don't think i started the trend though. not being alive in 50s america and all. that would just be silly.

does make it easier to get them though....

I had a pair of converse when I was 7. When they were seriously uncool. Therefore, by powers of.... something....I was seriously cool. Yes. :):p

Know what you mean about both sides of the story.

I have an extremely fashionable friend - shops in charity shops, wears retro outfits, always has her own look - who kinda worked the pussybow secretary look last year (tweed skirts, blouses etc). Thing is I'm liking a few of those pieces but I know should I wear them into college, there will be hostility. She doesn't like people follwing her fashion. And it reeeaaallly annoys me. Everyone is wearing it. It's not yours!!

But then again - trucker caps? Please stop.
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    I had a pair of converse when I was 7. When they were seriously uncool. Therefore, by powers of.... something....I was seriously cool. Yes. :):p

they were the height of fashion when you were about 7. they were the nirvana years and every kid worth their grungy hairdo had either a pair of converse or a pair of docs.

i had both. touch me, i rock ;)
  • Options
    they were the height of fashion when you were about 7. they were the nirvana years and every kid worth their grungy hairdo had either a pair of converse or a pair of docs.

i had both. touch me, i rock ;)

They were? God, I'm seriously uncool. Nirvana just swept right on by me. :)

*reaches out to touch La Kaff*
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    *reaches out to touch La Kaff*

i'll have you know i was a very fashionable 11-year-old.

:p
  • Options
    or a pair of docs.
    iused to have the doc boots with flowers on them. haha i used to get the piss ripped so bad but i love love loved them. now docs make my feet look mahoosive.

i get what you're saying though, i used to wear my suit jacket with everything cos it's a tight little black thing that i have for jazz gigs and lately it's like the world and their daughters are wearing them. not to say i started it obviously or sparked it, in fact, i thought it was kinda cool that people are wearing them, like kaff said about cons, they're easier and so cheaper to get now!
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i get what you're saying though, i used to wear my suit jacket with everything cos it's a tight little black thing that i have for jazz gigs and lately it's like the world and their daughters are wearing them. not to say i started it obviously or sparked it, in fact, i thought it was kinda cool that people are wearing them, like kaff said about cons, they're easier and so cheaper to get now!

Yeaaah, I wanted a suit jacket ever since I saw SJP in SATC with one on with a Mickey Mouse Tshirt underneath, now I have like, 4. :o A denim one from like, 2 years ago though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    Yeaaah, I wanted a suit jacket ever since I saw SJP in SATC with one on with a Mickey Mouse Tshirt underneath, now I have like, 4. :o A denim one from like, 2 years ago though.
    i have a whole closet full of them. and im not exaggerating....
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i have a whole closet full of them. and im not exaggerating....

They're nice, eh! I can't leave the house without one. :(
  • Options
    where dya get suit jackets? they were everywhere just before summer + now that i have money i can't find them anywhere :confused: 1983,if i remember rightly,your from glasgow too,is there anywhere decent to look out for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by *chris'_bitch*
    where dya get suit jackets? they were everywhere just before summer + now that i have money i can't find them anywhere :confused: 1983,if i remember rightly,your from glasgow too,is there anywhere decent to look out for?

Two of mine are from Primark, they have LOADS in. Internacionale are doing LOADS of them too.

Another is frommmm Colors in St Enoch with black pinstripe on a white background and one I already had was from TK Maxx from like 2 years ago.
  • Options
    Two of mine are from Primark, they have LOADS in. Internacionale are doing LOADS of them too.

*sigh* the 2 best shops
  • Options
    Two of mine are from Primark
    i got two from primark for £3 each! i was like wow! and they are lush too