Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

scaffold piercings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had a scaffold done just before i left england (about 4 days ago), and as it was done with a gun, i have to change the studs to 2.05 mm rings before i can put in a bar. all the sites i've seen really vary around how long i should leave it before changing it. i was told to do it before the healing process is over so it needs to stretch a little...but how long? i was told 2-3 weeks, but this sounds wa too soon to me. anyone know what's about right?

also, how the hell do you put on captured bead rings?? i cannot see how to do it...

thanks people...

Comments

• Options
    Re: scaffold piercings
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    iand as it was done with a gun

Who the fuck did your scaffold piercing with a GUN? :banghead:
    Don't even fuck with it for at least 6 weeks.

Were these people liscensed?
    *shudder*
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    where is the scaffold piercing?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    piccie

ah, ok. and someone did that to you with a gun?!? :eek:

in answer to your question ... normally people leave it for about 6-8 weeks i think. certainly the person i knew who had it done had to leave it that long.

and because it was done with a gun i think it should be left as long as possible before you get the bar in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    ah, ok. and someone did that to you with a gun?!? :eek:
    and on top of that, you let them?!
  • Options
    i was told by someone who had gone there before and had it done like that. so i thought it was ok. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    My thoughts exactly:eek2:
    i woulda run screaming.
    but then again i was scared to even get my lobes done. then i got used to it and have 6...
  • Options
    6 MONTHS more like!! I wouldn't touch that for another few months yet or you're more likely to develop granulomas and keloids. Just keep salt soaking, and leave the hell alone.

As I've said many a time - Guns are Shite. Do Not Use Them. Stick to needles.

Ilora x
  • Options
    i got my lobes pierced with a gun both times (i know, i know - i was young and ill-informed).

it's been 7 years since i had the first ones done and 4 years since the second lot, and i still don't think they've healed properly. if i wear anything other than surgical steel or titanium jewellery they shit their pants. even then, every time i change my earrings they have a faff, and i end up salt-soaking them to get them to calm down.

so i dread to think what it would do to more sensitive parts of your body o_O
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i got my lobes pierced with a gun both times (i know, i know - i was young and ill-informed).
    I thought guns were ok on lobes ('cos that was what they were designed for) but nowt else? I had mine done with a gun and had no problems. That really surprised me - shows what I know!
  • Options
    i had an upper ear piercing done with a gun and mine was fine and healed within a few months- i was lucky

but u dont wanna be changing it until its healed, thats rubbish about changing it before its healed, i have often changed the thickness-es of my jewelry years after healing with no problems

just leave it alone other than for cleaning
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I thought guns were ok on lobes ('cos that was what they were designed for) but nowt else? I had mine done with a gun and had no problems. That really surprised me - shows what I know!

they're not great for anything - they rip through your flesh, as opposed to the needles, which slice neatly.

also it's impossible to completely sterilise guns the way you can with needles, so there's a risk of contracting blood-borne disease, and a greater risk of infection.
  • Options
    I can't believe you actually let someone pierce your ear (other than a lobe) with a gun! I'm sure you've read advice on here before when people have asked, and they've all said never have it done with a gun! And if a piercer is going to use a gun, leave! And I'm sure you've read postings before that have links to piercing sites giving advice. And I remember you posted a thread a few weeks ago about having the piercings done, and I'm sure people on there gave advice/links too. ...Then you go and ignore them all! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean about 2.05mm rings? Don't know what they are.
    You're in for a world of pain when you come to get those damned studs out you know. Struggling to get them out will hurt, and irriate the holes. You should've either gone straight for the bar, or had rings in the first place, and then replaced them after a few months of healing.

You open up CBR/BCR rings with a special pair of pliers. You can buy special, expensive, ones, or use a more inexpensive pair of circlip pliers, designed for inserting/removing circlips from machines/engines (car accessory shops have them). Don't under any circumstances try to open and close them with your fingers, because you're likely to find the ring too small and fiddly, and slip, therfore suddenly yanking the ring to one side, hurting and irritating your piercing. Better still, go and get them replaced at a piercers. They'll know what to put in their place, and no doubt have a go at you for allowing some moron to pierce you with a gun.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    they're not great for anything - they rip through your flesh, as opposed to the needles, which slice neatly.

also it's impossible to completely sterilise guns the way you can with needles, so there's a risk of contracting blood-borne disease, and a greater risk of infection.
    I'm confused. I had a new pair of studs straight from a packet pierced through my ear in what I thought was a piercing gun - but nothing except the earrings touched my ear. Maybe I've got the wrong idea, what does a gun look like?
  • Options
    I'm confused. I had a new pair of studs straight from a packet pierced through my ear in what I thought was a piercing gun - but nothing except the earrings touched my ear. Maybe I've got the wrong idea, what does a gun look like?

its the actual ear-ring that pierces when a piercing gun is used, and it rips through the flesh because the force and power of the gun is needed to actually get the blunt ear-ring through the skin.

piercing-gun_small.jpg
  • Options
    That's what I thought. ok, ta!
  • Options
    i had all my lobes done with a gun, on the third one she put it too close to the cartilidge bit and sliced through that too. that was a world of pain.

silly woman.
  • Options
    nothing except the earrings touched my ear.

in most piecing guns, your ear is held between two notches in the gun to keep it still while it's being pierced. these can easily be splattered with blood (even microscopic splatters) which transfers disease, and even when the gun is cleaned between piercings, it's usually just a wipe down with an alcohol wipe, which isn't sufficient to kill disease.
  • Options
    My boyfriend used to have both of his ears scaffolded but one fell out and went manky because he lost the bar and put an square alan key or something in it :yuck: so now he only has one.

I'm curious as to how piercing it with a gun would work, firstly because of the angles and the jewellery is usually thicker than 'standard size' earings or whatever.
    But i think his healed within a couple of months, then again he never takes it out to change the bar or anything so it is probably best just not to faff with it.
    Although the top of his ear has ended up with a line across it where the bar presses into his ear. Maybe he just has weird shaped ears or whatever though :p