Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police holding a grudge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right my boyfriend had a couple of run ins when he was younger with the same copper. Andrew (my bf) did a couple of break ins when he was 16/17 and he went to jail for them. When he got out he got arrested by the same copper, for apparently mugging old women. It turned out my bf just had the same coat on as the attacker. Since then the same copper tries to cause him hassle. A few years back he tried to get him done for spitting at the copper, my bf did not do this but he still got arrested. He went to court but none of his witnesses turned up.
This copper used to always stop him in the street and tell him he'll get him again and he's always watching.
Now Andrew is 22 and he's a grown up now and nothing like he was when he was 17.
Last night he went for a quick drink to the pub with one of his friends, he stayed an hour and then they both walked back. This copper sees him again after over a year, pulls over in a van and arrests him on the spot for drunk and disorderly. He gets out this morning and he's in court Thursday. He had 2 pints and that was it.
I'd like you to debate your opinions on this and give any advice on what to do. How can he prove he's being picked on. Are the courts going to look on him as once a criminal always a criminal?? Do you think this is fair? How can they get away with this?

Comments

• Options
    Because a lot of them are arseholes.

He needs to go and speak to a solicitor or Citizen's Advice Bureau and ask the stand on this. There is a formal complaints procedure both against the harrassment and any possible charge/conviction.

I've been done for D&D too when I didn't do anything (to start ;))

He can't put this off though, he needs to go tommorow and get the ball rolling, he also needs any witnesses (his friend) to make sure that they are willing to say what went on.

Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used get this sometimes. I used to get into a bit of trouble when I was younger and it meant the local coppers used to pull me over all the time and give me a producer and breath test. That was up unti last year whenl I phoned up and compained and it stopped.

I still get comments from them whenever I run into them about 'behaving mysefl' and shit but I just ignore them. It doesn't help that people in the village are quick to blame any crime commited on my mates and I.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's people like your boyfriend that gives our country a bad name.
  • Options
    Originally posted by daz jones

Well thanks for such a constructive and helpful comment. Shut up in future.

Your b/f has clearly made some mistakes in the past but I'm willing to believe he's grown up. My advice is to go to the citizens advice bureau and talk to the guys there, and to get character witnesses for the court appearance to testify how he's changed since he was 17.

This copper probably doesn't have the same faith in how people can change. This is most likely down to experiance, doesn't excuse the behaviour though. Good luck on Tues.
  • Options
    people do change and ive seen it, good luck with stuff there

just make sure he gets people to turn up and support him, and deffo get that cop sorted out, if theres one thing worse than anti social behaviour, its coming from a guy [copper] who cant have an ASBO taken out on him
  • Options
    Originally posted by daz jones
    it people like you that believe that shit.

thakns everyone, his mate is one of his best mates and will turn up in court deffo.
    He has grown up, he has a good job, we're gona be buying a place together and we're engaged. he doesnt hang around on the streets like he used to 4-5 years ago and its wrong to treat him like he does.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky

Do that. :)
  • Options
    Make a complaint. Tell him to go down to your local station and make an official complaint against the specific officer. Police hate the paperwork.
  • Options
    Contact the CAB.

If I remember rightly your bf isn't white, I'd suggest contacting the Race Relations people too. It sounds like probable racism to me.
  • Options
    Although this is an obvious case of police harrassment, I'm sure it isn't for no reason.

I bet there's a bit more to the story than just one crazy copper victimising the guy.

There's a fine line between keeping an eye on possible repeat offenders and harrassing rehabilitated criminals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Contact the CAB.

If I remember rightly your bf isn't white, I'd suggest contacting the Race Relations people too. It sounds like probable racism to me.

Why is it only non-whites who can be discriminated against?

The copper could be black/asian...
  • Options
    I was wrong anyway, I was getting two posters confused.

Contact the CAB or a reputable defence solicitor.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Although this is an obvious case of police harrassment, I'm sure it isn't for no reason.

I bet there's a bit more to the story than just one crazy copper victimising the guy.

Yeah, he used to be a crim and did time.

The police, as a collective, are scum. In fact, the collective noun for police is scum...
  • Options
    yeah, thanks.
    You'd be the first one screaming for help from the police if you were being beaten half to death on a street.
    You'd be the first one to make the call in a car accident there the other party selfishly refuses to accept the blame.
    What if your house were burgled, will you go out and solve the crime yourself? Pay for a private detective to come and guess at who might have done it?
    because without the police and their resources you haven't a hope in hell of finding out yourself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    yeah, thanks.
    You'd be the first one screaming for help from the police if you were being beaten half to death on a street.
    You'd be the first one to make the call in a car accident there the other party selfishly refuses to accept the blame.
    What if your house were burgled, will you go out and solve the crime yourself? Pay for a private detective to come and guess at who might have done it?
    because without the police and their resources you haven't a hope in hell of finding out yourself.

vicky is talking about a small minority of policemen, society in general is very grateful for the police but there will be the odd scumbag in the police force and thats what she is talking about.
  • Options
    The police, as a collective, are scum. In fact, the collective noun for police is scum...

Wow, another constructive helpful comment.

The police as a collective do a difficult dangerous job, police as a minority are racist, bigots or abusive of power.

I have a great deal of respect for them. And so must a lot of the country, or we'd be in a constant state of martial law or anarchy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    vicky is talking about a small minority of policemen, society in general is very grateful for the police but there will be the odd scumbag in the police force and thats what she is talking about.

I'm not referring to Vicky, I sympathsise with what her hubby is going through, and recommend like others that he make an appointment with his local CAB AND the local inspector in confidence.
    Tell them what is going on.

My reply however was to Kermit's "Collective scum" argument.
  • Options
    I was more referring to the corruption, the secrecy and the cover-ups than to individual police officers.

Yeah, they do difficult work, that isn't the issue. Or even what i was meaning.

If you want to know why I detest "the police", look back at the Hillsborough disaster. And then they go and appoint one of the men responsible CI of Merseyside.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion

There's a fine line between keeping an eye on possible repeat offenders and harrassing rehabilitated criminals.
    true i understand your point. A few years ago he was a cocky lad but this time it was nothing. he even said "told u i'd get u again"
    Contact the CAB.

he is white, he is going to the CAB. Gosh they are getting a lot of visits from us this week!

thanks for your support and advice guys ;)
  • Options
    i hope all these visits are about the same thing
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i hope all these visits are about the same thing
    lol no check out the thread i made in relationships about my Uncle ripping me off and taking me for a mug
  • Options
    i wont have read that because i tend to stay clear of the relationships threads
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i wont have read that because i tend to stay clear of the relationships threads
    i guessed thats why i said go and check it out. I would have put it here but it was more advice i needed rather than a debate.
  • Options
    theres a reason why i dont go anywhere near the relationship forums, yes most of its quite interesting to read to the naturally inquisative person, but theres a lot of stuff in there im worried about after bad experiences myself
  • Options
    Awww, V. Big hug for you and Andrew (Although it's a kinda manly hug for him ;) )

Reminds me a little about me and my bro's. We were always in trouble when we were teenagers. The usual stuff. Drinking. Too much noise. Fighting.

One weekend there was a huge fight at the local shopping centre and a couple of huge windows got smashed. On the Monday the coppers were at the door as the claimed they had witnesses that saw me and my bro throwing a shopping trolley through a window.

My Mum said that this was impossible as we had just got back from holiday on the Sunday evening. The coppers didn't believe a thing until my Mum produced travel docs, passports, etc....

For a few years after that we would get blamed for everything until we made a complaint and it all stopped.
  • Options

Come on mate, what happen?
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Awww, V. Big hug for you and Andrew (Although it's a kinda manly hug for him ;) )

Reminds me a little about me and my bro's. We were always in trouble when we were teenagers. The usual stuff. Drinking. Too much noise. Fighting.

One weekend there was a huge fight at the local shopping centre and a couple of huge windows got smashed. On the Monday the coppers were at the door as the claimed they had witnesses that saw me and my bro throwing a shopping trolley through a window.

My Mum said that this was impossible as we had just got back from holiday on the Sunday evening. The coppers didn't believe a thing until my Mum produced travel docs, passports, etc....

For a few years after that we would get blamed for everything until we made a complaint and it all stopped.
    crap isnt it? he wont make a complaint, so he's being an idiot. he says he cant be done with the hassle. I'll talk him round though, soon as I go and see him i'll go down there with him. He's not good at doing face to face things, he can be a bit shy and unsure of what to say.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Come on mate, what happen?
    he's in court tomom morning hun, so I shall let you know tom evening ;)
  • Options
    he's in court tomom morning hun, so I shall let you know tom evening ;)

I thought you said tues? Anyway, am waiting with baited breath!
  • Options
    he pleaded not guilty, it's gooing to court on the 16th of September. *fingers crossed*