Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fahrenheit 9/11

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has heard of or seen this film.

Produced by Michael Moore, it (in a simplistic way of putting) is
basically making a mockery of Bush (in a subtle way) and supposedly revealing what really happened behind the way he got into power and the way he dealt with 9/11.

I don't live in UK so I was wondering if it was allowed to show there, considering it has a little mention of Tony Blair in a not so positive light and I'm not sure if it was shown in the US.

"One of the most controversial and provocative films of the year, Fahrenheit 9/11 is Academy Award-winning filmmaker Michael Moore's searing examination of the Bush administration's actions in the wake of the tragic events of 9/11. With his characteristic humor and dogged commitment to uncovering the facts, Moore considers the presidency of George W. Bush and where it has led us. He looks at how - and why - Bush and his inner circle avoided pursuing the Saudi connection to 9/11, despite the fact that 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudis and Saudi money had funded Al Qaeda. Fahrenheit 9/11 shows us a nation kept in constant fear by FBI alerts and lulled into accepting a piece of legislation, the USA Patriot Act, that infringes on basic civil rights. It is in this atmosphere of confusion, suspicion and dread that the Bush Administration makes its headlong rush towards war in Iraq - and Fahrenheit 9/11 takes us inside that war to tell the stories we haven't heard, illustrating the awful human cost to U.S. soldiers and their families."

Comments

• Options
    Ok, am sorry, I didn't do a search!
  • Options
    Read the other topics please, if you have any questions feel free to ask. And we'll argue about it and never come to a conclusion ok?
  • Options
    Why should the government stop it being shown? The last I heard freedom of expression was permitted in this country!

I saw this film tonight and I didn't like Bush before I viewed. Now I HATE him.

The 9/11 bit was too much of a conspiracy theory in my mind, but the Iraq section hit home.

Really Bush (and Blair to be fair) presented NO evidence of WMD's or an Al Qaeda link. I felt for that woman whose son died in Iraq, because his blood is on Bush's hands.

This dickfuck Bush LIED TO THE WORLD!!!!
  • Options
    By far Moores worst piece of work.

Infinitely inferior to his other 2 films (especially Roger and Me).
  • Options
    though its his worst piece of work [i agree on that point]

and his others were far better

id still pay to go see it in a cinema anyday
  • Options
    The Iraq footage was interesting but I agree it was weaker than his other movies, even most of the TV shows.

It's had a wide release in the US though, a guess people still have a right to criticise their governments without having their films banned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    The Iraq footage was interesting but I agree it was weaker than his other movies, even most of the TV shows.

It's had a wide release in the US though, a guess people still have a right to criticise their governments without having their films banned.

Other than miramax being pulled because of disney, and therefore having no distrubutor for a while. How close was it to being banned. When it was due for release I would have found it very difficult to believe the they would have been sucessful, no I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    how can someone say this film is good? it's extremely biased and not worth discussing.

Bias doesn't make a film bad. You expect it to be balanced because it's in the documentary catagory, but you wouldn't expect Star Wars to have a balanced perspective, it's 'sod the empire' the whole way through isn't it?

It is biased, but it's also very well put together. The screenplay, for example, and use of music, is excellent.
  • Options
    I wasnt all that keen on the editing and the choice of topics.

But, as with his other movies he does poke you into thinking about the topic.

Yes its bias, yes it may well be anti-bush propaganda, but if it makes some people think about the reasons for war its a good thing.
  • Options
    yes of course but I think he should look at the other side now and let people make their minds up afterwards.

Why would he want to do that? He doesn't like Bush.

It's like challenging someone to a duel, and then offering to fight against yourself on your behalf.

Any reasons, other than the bias, you don't like the film? Are you a supporter of Bush?
  • Options
    I supported the war if that helps.

That depends upon your reasons for the war.

Nothing is too biased to take notice of, in studying modern history you learn to classify things as primary and secondary sources based on where they came from and why. But Nazi propaganda isn't discounted because of what it is, just not given the same level as importance as say a swiss census on Nazi activity.
  • Options
    I supported the war not on the basis of WMD but because I think it will benefit us in the near future, plus it's got rid of a tyrant, we won't need to do it in later years.

Enough of that.

ok, you have a point. I have said before it does open up to questions which should be taken into account.

And despite ignoring all the opposing arguements, uses reliable accountable sources for those questions and subsequent arguements. Did you see the film?
  • Options
    I have seen the film, or else I wouldn't dare to comment.

Have a look at the website, they've got a list of sources for all their arguements there.
  • Options
    how can someone say this film is good? it's extremely biased and not worth discussing.

It may be biased, but I enjoyed it. Are people only allowed to enjoy things that you state are good? But Moore based his critique on facts.

It was a FACT that Iraq had never threatened the US (as he stated in the film). Can that be refuted?
  • Options
    could you please give me the website, thanks.

I posted it on the other thread, but you can find all you need to by navigating around this site
  • Options
    Saddam was and would have been a serious threat to world peace, especially in the future. It was now or later when the situation could have worsened. Just see the benefits.... saddam won't be a problem in the near future.

What's the proof behind that?
  • Options
    10 years ago well a bit more, he invaded a country. who knows what he had install for the future? I don't trust that man unlike you guys seem to.

it's not a question of whether we trusted him or not. What's important to remember is that he was so ill he would have died in the next decade anyway. And also that the better way of going about finding his cache of WMDs and banned weapons would be to continue with the inspections.
  • Options
    yeah supose but he didn't coperate properly.

that's the point, he was co-operating, and we didn't wait for the situation to change.
  • Options
    so what was the sudden rush to war?

That's what most people have a problem with, why were we in such a hurry?
  • Options
    IMaybe, Bush wanted to finish off his Dad's job.

If you think that's a good reason for the upheaval the UK and the US has caused, no just to iraqi's but also in the stock market, you are more ignorant than I ever imagined.
  • Options
    huh? what? what the hell have I done now?

Please, for a change, think about where your opinons come from, and why, and then think about why you get that kind of response.

The stock markets are in disarray because oil is closing on $50 a barrel. This is a huge amount and is due to the crisis in Iraq. Did you know that Iraq is sitting on the second largest oil field in the world?

Iraq itself is in crisis because the US army are doing the equivalent of Muslims pissing on the vatican from their flying carpets by bombing Najaf. It is a HOLY CITY. The US army are doing nothing but pissing people off. Do you not wonder, that while Basra is quiet, northern Iraq is going up in flames? Perhaps the approach of the British armed forces would be more appropriate. Pulling back from Najaf would hardly be letting terrorists win, it's their country!

Not to mention the vast sums of cash we're and the US now are sending to the country to fix all the damage we did, and paying for all the inquiries because we were lied to by Blair and Bush.

Not everything in that film was a lie. Go read, 'Lies, and the lying liars that tell them' It's supposed to be a fair and balanced view (despite the title) of the right wing.