Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So if you didn't go to Uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Like many people I debated whether or not to go to Uni. Thankfully for me, I decided to go and do Biology at Manchester Uni.

Some people know whether it is or isn't right for them from the start, and others deliberate over it, and some know they definitely don't wanna go. I'm wondering what pathways other people went down if they chose, or were unable to go to, Uni

What work did you go into? Did you study for other qualifications with a part-time job? Or do you wish you'd gone???

This applies for people who have plans when this year's lot go off :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    My, you have been busy!

I was freaked out after first year but it turned out for the best.

Mind you, I'm always a mess when it comes to waiting for results. I'm that annoying person who needs to ask what answer people put for which questions...
  • Options
    i decided not to go to uni
    i am doing a HND instead, by some employers it is considered a 3rd level qualification. i want to set up my own personal training/healthy living business. my HND is Sport and Exercise Sciences. i have my Gym instructors qualification and after i finish the HND i plan to take the professional qualifications required for personal training and set up my own business. i may decide to go back to uni later in life, because from the HND i can get straight into 2nd year of the degree...but we'll see. im just gonna marry a rich man and have lotsa sprogs and work part time!
  • Options
    I've been deliberating for 1 year, now it'll be a second.

I stayed on to do an extra year at college not only to decide what to do at uni or whether to go but to get more grades.

Now I'm working for another year to do some more thinking. :(
  • Options
    Well, the plan was to go to Edinburgh but since I can't get any funding I've had to stay another year at college and do the HND.

It could be worse - I can raise a few thousand and have a chance to properly investigate institutes I plan to apply.
  • Options
    Kinda off topic but...

I applied to Uni for this September and have accepted a uni as my firm choice and my insurance choice. However, now I don't want to go. I've just looked on the UCAS website and I can't see that it says I need to let them know. Can I just leave it then and not go?
  • Options
    Ring them up, I would say.

Why don't you want to go?
  • Options
    Err, I kinda had a stage where I was like bleah, I don't think I want to go anymore! and if I do go, I'm not sure I want to do what I applied to do. And what will I do after? There's also problems about getting my Maths GCSE.

Because of this I decided I kinda had to make a decision - to go or to not go.

I decided not to go.

The reasons? Well, the above really. I hadn't put a lot of thought into what I'd actually be learning at Uni. The only reason I wanted to go was for the life; for the experience. Yes, it's a good experience to have had for most people, but not all.

Besides, I like having money too much. :(

So, am currently searching for a full time job. This year was meant to be for me to decide whether or not to go and what to do if I went. Thing is, I can see myself getting too used to the money.

So I dunno really, guess I'll just have to see.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Err, I kinda had a stage where I was like bleah, I don't think I want to go anymore! and if I do go, I'm not sure I want to do what I applied to do. And what will I do after? There's also problems about getting my Maths GCSE.

Because of this I decided I kinda had to make a decision - to go or to not go.

I decided not to go.

The reasons? Well, the above really. I hadn't put a lot of thought into what I'd actually be learning at Uni. The only reason I wanted to go was for the life; for the experience. Yes, it's a good experience to have had for most people, but not all.

Besides, I like having money too much. :(

So, am currently searching for a full time job. This year was meant to be for me to decide whether or not to go and what to do if I went. Thing is, I can see myself getting too used to the money.

So I dunno really, guess I'll just have to see.
    You're like me - indecisive ;)!

I too hate the thought of being in debt so have set up an ISA for most of my earnings this year. I aim to save 5 grand.

Anyway, there's plenty time to decide for 2005. Good luck in which ever path you choose :).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Neil

I too hate the thought of being in debt so have set up an ISA for most of my earnings this year. I aim to save 5 grand.

Anyway, there's plenty time to decide for 2005. Good luck in which ever path you choose :).

Good man! Most people are way too complacent about debt these days...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Neil

I'm very indecisive!

Thankyou muchly, you too. :)
  • Options
    I knew that i didn't fancy uni. The lifestyle, lack of cash and debts put me right off. I opted for a two year college course and then wandered into a full time family job. 5 years down the line i now want to follow my dream but don't regret for one minute turning down the idea of uni.
  • Options
    Soon as I left school whe I was 16 (I made the decision to not wanting to go to Uni). Though decided to put up with College for couple years doing a course I had no interest in but did it for the sake of it as I didn't know what to do, then me third year I decided I had enough went to full-time work.

All I regret to an extent as I wish I had of stuck at it, at school/college to do me a-levels then go to uni. Then again, I've learnt me lesson the hard way, which is sometimes the only way for me and realise I wanna go back to college, do a course I know I want to do and hopefully go to uni - Not too late is it? :( Does it sound sad, me going back to full-time education at 19 and won't be going to uni till I'm like 21?

Ahhh well... nowt I can do about it now. Just have to stick at it this time :)
  • Options
    Nah 21 isn't too old. If I go in 2005 I'll be 20.
  • Options
    21 certainly isn't too old for university, in your 3 year gap you've earned valuable qualifications which those who left at 18 lack. They'll look great on a CV so look at it that way.

I'm doing another year at college to do a HND course, then hopefully starting a four year degree. You shouldn't rush your student life, those who get employment after they graduate usually want it back!
  • Options
  • Options
    21 isn't too old at all. Wait a teeny bit longer and you will be a "mature student", though, and that has lots of benefits. Like life experience being taken into account, and your won income being used to determine loans.
  • Options
    Cheers guys - Feel a bit more reassured now. Sometimes I just cringe or try to avoid the question when people ask me why I'm not at Uni now and trying to explaing why I'm leaving it for another couple of years. :o ahh well... that's life!