Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ear cartlidge pierced with a piercing gun

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nearly two months ago I got the top of my ear pierced twice with one of those guns. I haven't had any problems with it since then and the only time it ever hurts is if I hit it fairly hard.

However, the other day I was getting my hair cut and the girl asked me if I got it pierced with a needle or a gun. When I said gun, she shook her head ruefully and said "bad choice, bad choice..." When I pressed her on it, she said ear cartlidge can only be done with a needle because the gun "shatters the cartlidge" and stops it from ever healing.

Is this actually true because I'm a bit worried!

Comments

• Options
    Yes, piercing guns are a complete and utter bastard.

With a needle, the tip is slanted, which slices through the cartilage leaving a clean hole. Whereas the stud in a gun is far too blunt. The gun shoots the blunted stud into the cartilage doing damage as it forces it's way though.

Another huge problem with 'piercing guns' is that they cannot be sterilised and carry a huge huge risk of passing on bloodborne disease. An alcohol wipe is NOT sufficient in cleaning any piercing equipment.

I'd recommend ditching the gun piercing, let it heal for a few months, then having it re-pierced with a needle - it will heal a lot better, and will heal quicker. Oh, and ditch the gun too ;)

If you wanna know more, PM me...

Ilora x
  • Options
    My ear cartalidge healed up Ok. :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    My ear cartalidge healed up Ok. :eek2:

Yep, same here - Had mine done about 5 years ago and never had any problems.
  • Options
    mine was fine, some are some arent

my advice to you-if it aint broke, dont fix it!!
  • Options
    I had mine done with a gun, and I've never had any problems what-so-ever!
  • Options
    Some people have problems, some don't. But, the fact still stands that piercing guns shouldn't be used. The piercing industry has and is fighting a long battle to see the end of piercing guns because of the dangers they carry.

Bloodborne diseases like HIV and AIDs are a huge issue to some people.

Ilora x
  • Options
    An ex of mine had two cartlidge piercings done with a gun. They healed fully after about two years. She wished she'd had it done properly with a needle and ring as the stud hurt a lot as her ear swelled up afterwards, putting pressure on it.
  • Options
    Hmm. I had my tragus done with a gun, and it was fine. I think it depends on what you have done as much as anything else. Also, if you have a tendancy to have keloid scarring, then having a piercing done with a needle reduces the likelihood of that happening.
  • Options
    I had mine done twice at the same time up the top with a gun, when i was like 13, an i havent wore there for like 4 years an it all seems healed up fine
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I was going to take them out but now I'll leave them in for a while and see how things are by Christmas. :)