Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blood pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any idea of self help things that help you get your blood pressure down?

Comments

• Options
    from my home economics education a low salt diet would help, try lo-salt if you need it in cooking

also try and cut down on stress levels, get more excercise and more rest which will chill you out and calm you down

ive had low blood pressure for a while-problem cuz im always fainting and it drops so quickley, had to go on beta blockers, maybe a trip to the doctors (or the midwife if you still see her) would provide better advice than me :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    ive had low blood pressure for a while-problem cuz im always fainting and it drops so quickley, had to go on beta blockers

:eek:

beta blockers lower your blood pressure.
  • Options
    Avoid being Overweight
    Keep Alcohol down (If you drink)
    Reduce Salt Intake
    Exercise Regularly
    Stop Smoking (If you do)

Most importantly, reduce stress by trying different relaxation techniques, or by avoiding stressful situations in the first place.

I always do yoga... not only is it relaxing but it tones your body.
    Anytime you feel you've had enough; go for a brisk walk. When you get home, not only do you feel good by doing a bit of exercise you feel refreshed.

Need to laugh and forgot how to. Stick your favourite american sit-com, e.g. Friends :D All McBeal :p Will and Grace :D
    You don't like those?? 'Shame On You' *Shakes finger at you*
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :eek:

beta blockers lower your blood pressure.

They can do both, they regulate it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Avoid being Overweight

Can't do that :(...i also saw the doc about this.
  • Options
    how do you feel when you have a high blood pressure episode?

i literally drop,when my blood pressure goes low. it happens so quickley, ive dropped of my science stool, in p.e classes, on holiday, on planes at work in the doctors loads of times. so strange, i feel sick for the rest of the day, luckily dosent happen to often
  • Options
    also try and cut down on stress levels, get more excercise and more rest which will chill you out and calm you down

Yeah doc said this but then i am in a bit of a circle at the mo as i am not well which means i cannot really do much, without feeling i am gonna fall over so its hard. Still hopefully blood results should show problem next week.
  • Options
    I have low blood pressure, well did have and i was on steroids. Sorry just thought id say :p.

Also take the lo-salt advice and the alcohol advice plus smoking etc etc. Theres helpful people here :)
  • Options
    how do you feel when you have a high blood pressure episode?

i literally drop,when my blood pressure goes low. it happens so quickley, ive dropped of my science stool, in p.e classes, on holiday, on planes at work in the doctors loads of times. so strange, i feel sick for the rest of the day, luckily dosent happen to often

Well i didn't know i had it this time but last time the headaches were a give away.
    I have a few things wrong at the moment so i can't say whats causing what lol.
    I am hoping its just my thyroid again.
  • Options
    Just to add i do not smoke (since about 2 1/2 years ago :D), i don't drink & well i am working on the salt thing.
  • Options
    maybe going for a walk with the baby would give you a bit of excercise and fresh air? though i can uderstand how it must be hard to stay chilled and stress free with a 6 month old baby around. do you ever go out for the evening with the boyfriend? maybe just a little time away (just an evening) would lift your spirits?

salts easy to avoid if you try, steer clear of microwave/processed foods, cheese, white bread, spreads (ie peanut butter), salted butters and margarines etc

you'd probably notice the weight drop off to, but from what ive seen your not in a bad shape to be worrying excessively about your weight

cill out music (im not talking JUST whale song here!!), a good book, a walk etc will all help you relax. i dont know why i havent got it, i smoke 20 a day and add salt to nearly everything i eat, just one of those 'things i suppose' :(
  • Options
    I do take for walks but not enough at the moment, we live in a flat so have to lug him & pushchair up & down stairs which in itself is a nightmare which puts me off. Still that should change soon as one i will have a buggy (so much lighter) and two we are hopefully moving to a house so will just be able to go for a walk so much easier.

Yes i am also a nightmare with salt, i add it to everything, i had to give it up before so will again.
    Thanks about the weight thing, i do really need to lose it though, i am 2 stone heavier than i was pre preg & i wanted to lose weight before that!

Will try the music thing, i know it de stresses me loads, just never get around to it.
    No we don't go out much as babysitters i trust are hard to find. Still roll on saturday cause we are off out :D.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    They can do both, they regulate it.

my doctor refused to give me them (for something else) until my blood pressure had risen. i was told that if i took them while my blood pressure was low, it would be dangerous....

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    my doctor refused to give me them (for something else) until my blood pressure had risen. i was told that if i took them while my blood pressure was low, it would be dangerous....

:confused:

Odd my mum & Chris have been on them for low blood pressure. Hmm who knows.
  • Options
    is this related to hormones from pregnancy/nursing? or did you have this problem before?
    if you really cant give up that salty taste then give lo salt a chance, at least your comprimisng, maybe its making you dehydrated too? i dont know im jus clutching at straws! try and find a little time for yourself every day, your not only a mother, you need to un wind too. im sure relatives or friends would be happy to look after james to give you a rest and try not to worry so much as a lot of mothers do, hes not gonna come to any harm if you arent worrying 24 hours a day :angel: worrying and stressing is really bad for your health. dont worry about the weight, it will come off in time if thats what you want, just dont be faddy about it like all these 'celebrity' mums who are back to 6 stone the day after they check out of hospital
  • Options
    I had high bp ages before preg but it went as quick as it came. When pregnant i had a real bad problem with bp & got put on beta blockers after a hospital stay. Came off them after he was born & all twas ok again. Now its not so i have no idea why.
    It does seem to be hereditary (sp?) aswell.

I have an underactive thyroid which i read tonight, high bp can be a sympton thats its fucked again...so we will see.

Anyway i am going to bed :D.