Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Polygraph tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
unfortunately i cannot find this article online, however it's from New Scientist 14th August.
the polygraph is still the most popular tool for ferreting out the guilty. strange, says David Lykken. Not only is it easy to beat, there is also no evidence that it works.

This article, written by Lykken, a professor of psychology at the University of Minnesota, says basically that polygraphs work by testing a persons reactions to different questions.

Some of these questions are "general" or "control" questions- such as "Have you ever told a lie to get out of trouble?"
Others are related more specifically to the crime in question- the example given in the article is " During May this year, did you take 4-year-old Tommy's penis in your mouth?"

The theory is that guilty people will be uncomfortable answering the specific questions, yet not bothered by the control questions; and that innocent people will be more uncomfortable about answering the control questions.
guilty suspects, on the other hand, can easily learn to fool the polygraph by atificially raising their physiological respones to the control questions, say by pressing their foot on a tack they have secreted in their shoe. they then appear more in disturbed by the control questions than by the relevant questions

how many innocent people will have been condemned by this method? i for one would certainly get flustered at being accused of things, how can they claim this is an accurate method?!

Comments

• Options
    They can't and it's not. That's why polygraph tests aren't admissable as evidence in a court of criminal law in the UK

Here are some related articles

US Government critised for use of lie detector
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992896

Thermal camera capture guilty faces
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991736
  • Options
    yes ok, i'm talkin about the USA allowing it. however at the end of my article, it does say that Britain is bringing it in...
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    yes ok, i'm talkin about the USA allowing it. however at the end of my article, it does say that Britain is bringing it in...

As interogation or as evidence in court?
  • Options
    The UK are bringing in the polygraph as a way of monitoring current prison inmates, as far as I am aware.

Polygraph testing is not admissible in UK courts of law.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The UK are bringing in the polygraph as a way of monitoring current prison inmates, as far as I am aware.

Polygraph testing is not admissible in UK courts of law.

Monitoring in what sense?
    Serial killer research?
  • Options
    they are thinking of making it compulsory for sex offenders, however that is the only detail the article gave.
  • Options
    they are thinking of making it compulsory for sex offenders, however that is the only detail the article gave.

They have to pass the test before being let out sort of thing?
  • Options

They're bringing it in to monitor sexual offenders, as a way of keeping tabs on them.

Someone think of the children! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    They're bringing it in to monitor sexual offenders, as a way of keeping tabs on them.

Someone think of the children! :rolleyes:

Like when they go to meet their parole officers sort of thing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Like when they go to meet their parole officers sort of thing?

Yeah. As a way of enforcing release terms.

The deterrent will stop them breaking the terms, apparently.
  • Options
    Yeah. As a way of enforcing release terms.

The deterrent will stop them breaking the terms, apparently.

Surely they can challenge the legitimacy of the test in court though?
  • Options
    Surely they can challenge the legitimacy of the test in court though?

Sex offenders won't be allowed to ever go to court if The Sun and it's lapdog David "Oberfuher" Blunkett get their way.

But aside from the sarcasm, I'm not really sure. It's more a way of monitoring them than punishing them; a fail would arouse suspicion rather than anything else.
  • Options
    Sex offenders won't be allowed to ever go to court if The Sun and it's lapdog David "Oberfuher" Blunkett get their way.

But aside from the sarcasm, I'm not really sure. It's more a way of monitoring them than punishing them; a fail would arouse suspicion rather than anything else.

You missed an 'r' out of fuhrer. The umlout I'm sure can rest.

Would the testing remain purely a monitoring system for long though?
  • Options
    You missed an 'r' out of fuhrer.

I know. And I don't care enough to edit the typo:p

Would the testing remain purely a monitoring system for long though?

Under Mr Blunkett, I doubt very long.

That man makes Stalin look like a defender of democracy.
  • Options
    The polygraph is 90% interpretation, the bases of passing or failing a polygraph test is worked out through your body language then corrolated with the results of the graph (blood presure, perspiration)
    the body language an interrogater looks for is mainly hands, eyes and feet.
    If for example you look up into your top left quadrant of your eye socket while recalling something, it generally means your searching the part of the brain where the imagination is, and so fabricating a story, if however you look up into your top right quadrant it means your searching your memory and so arnt lying.