Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Peircing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was thinking of getting my tongue pierced, but the only thing holding me back, are the risks, ive heard that there is a very big chance of dying from it, weither it is true or not, it brought me back into reality or all the risks of everyday uses. without slipping off topic, what actaully are the risks of gettin a mouth piercing???:eek2:

Comments

• Options
    Infection.
  • Options
    Re: Peircing
    Originally posted by LilMizME
    I was thinking of getting my tongue pierced, but the only thing holding me back, are the risks, ive heard that there is a very big chance of dying from it, weither it is true or not, it brought me back into reality or all the risks of everyday uses. without slipping off topic, what actaully are the risks of gettin a mouth piercing???:eek2:

Ive got mine done and it didnt hurt at all (in case you were worried about that too) The risks are them peircing thro a vain, but if you go to a repitable one you should be fine. With me they marked out where they were gonna do it (next to the vain, not on it) with pen and then showed it to me.

The only other risk is infection, but as long as you take care of it, ie, rincing your mouth out with salt water after you eat plus and extra 3 times a day you'll be fine. Ice lollys are your friend!
  • Options
    The biggest risk is social ridicule for looking like a tacky moron.

But I digress.

You're fourteen for fuck's sake. Any place that will do it to you is breaking the law, and cannot be trusted to not break any other laws. Like, say, cleaning the equipment after every user.

There's an age limit for a reason.
  • Options
    your 14!! no one would do it for you. Well no where good anyway. You can get it done in most good places when your 16.

Wait till your old enough tho. seriously. unless you want to die or something.
  • Options
    Re: Peircing
    Big risk of dying from it? :lol:
    You should research it first on sites like www.bmezine.com who have a piercing section with personal experiences.
    Who have you been speaking to, to believe that you have a big risk of dying from it? Someone trying to put you off no doubt.
    If you're 14, then leave it until you're at least 16.
  • Options
    Right, where to start.

Firstly, seeing as you're only 14, you're not able to get it done by any 'respectable or reputable' piercing parlour. You have to be over 16 and with parental consent, to have a tongue piercing. So I suggest you wait a couple of years.

Secondly, there are considerable risks involved purely with placement. It's a very good idea to get to know and trust your piercer, trust that they have experience with anatomy and know exactly how to check the tongue's suitability for a piercing. Some tongues are not suitable for a piercing because of the placement of the tongue web, vital veins and even the length of your tongue, so only an experienced piercer will be able to tell if you should have it done, and if so - they'll know exactly where not to pierce.

It is unlikely that a tongue piercing will become infected purely due to the saliva in your mouth and the healing properties it has. But, if you do not look after it, and forget to rinse your piercing with saline after eating and drinking, then yes, it can become a problem.

The only real risk is by going to a cowboy and they pierce the wrong part of the tongue- this could result in increased swelling - which can lead to suffocation, and even death.

So do your research before you trust ANYONE with a needle, and your tongue!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Theres a piercing parlor near where i live, and you can have it done if you're over 14 and with a parent, or they ring home to a parent, and get permission that way, alot of my friends have it done, so it could be a risk of lookin cheap, but ill have to discuss this further with my mum, and friends.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Your supposed to sign a form when having any body piercing. And if under 16 your parents signiture is required.

Thas what i thought :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    I thought it was still against the law to have a tongue piercing under 16.

They phone home? That is ridiculous!! That place should be closed down. Your supposed to sign a form when having any body piercing. And if under 16 your parents signiture is required.
    It's not against the law - infact, there are no laws when it comes to body piercing. Health Regulations do have some say though, as do the morals and principles of any given piercer.

However, I do recommend you go visit this so called 'piercing parlour' and ask about their certificates and about the cleanliness of the parlour - ask to see their autoclave *a machine that sterilises their equipment*. If they offer to use a piercing gun at all in their studio - run like the wind.

Ilora x
  • Options
    alot of my friends have it done

and thats why you want it done is it? :rolleyes: