Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Start Dates?? *panic!!*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What are the normal start dates for university?

Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It depends on the uni. It is around September, October time though.
  • Options
    Bit worried - just booked our family holiday for the 1st week of Sept - and it's a bit dodgy cause I'm going through clearing...

Any more help would be good, thanks!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Bit worried - just booked our family holiday for the 1st week of Sept - and it's a bit dodgy cause I'm going through clearing...

Any more help would be good, thanks!

Ilora x
    I don't know when you get your results, but go through clearing that day, and you'll have the rest of the time (and probably the whole of that holiday) to relax.

My term starts Monday 20th September, although that will be second year...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    I don't know when you get your results, but go through clearing that day, and you'll have the rest of the time (and probably the whole of that holiday) to relax.

My term starts Monday 20th September, although that will be second year...
    When did you start uni in your first year? It's not clearing I'm worried about - I'm worried about being on holiday when Uni starts...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Its different for all the unis...if there are any specific ones that you might consider trying to get into for clearing, all the websites Ive checked out have the term dates on them.
  • Options
    I start back on the 27th Sept, but it's my second year. I'm sure last year it was around the same time. I'd say most uni's at the earliest start back around the 20th, but some don't start until early october. I would have thought you would be back in plenty of time to register on the first day, although it depends how long you're away for.
  • Options
    dont worry about it, most first years start the 3rd week in september, and thats only fresher's weekand inductions (which means standing around in queues all day, then getting hammered all night).

teaching doesnt start usually till the last week of september or the 1st week in october, depends if you have a fresher's week or fortnight :eek:
  • Options
    Yeah I start 27th of September but that is freshers week, my actual course doesn't start until the beginning of October. Most universities start around this time I think, from the 20th onwards.
  • Options
    Gah, that pisses me right off! If I get into Edinburgh, freshers week starts on September 13th, a good two weeks before most of my friends! Suppose I'll be thankful just to get into Edinburgh though, so it's a small price to pay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    When did you start uni in your first year? It's not clearing I'm worried about - I'm worried about being on holiday when Uni starts...

Ilora x
    To be completely honest, I don't remember much about my first week, least of all when it started.

It was near the end of Spetember though. I think I had Freshers' Week and then another week (or maybe even part of another week) and then October.

The first week of Spetember should still be in the holidays, so you should be fine. And, as superfly said, if you miss the first week, no-one will notice.

Have fun on your holiday. Going anywhere nice?
  • Options
    They nearly always start late September.

Be aware, of course, that if you join a clearing place you may have to be in the UK to finalise accomodation, etc.