Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depresssion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
[edited: because i dont want to piss people off when there is already a thread about depression]

i have a theory - that depression is linked to sleep paterns. when ive had plenty of sleep im fine, happy etc.. but (and ive only just realised this link today) when ive not had much sleep i tend to feel really sad and get horrible feelings of paranoia, lonelyness, just general sadness. im guessing there must be a link somewhere but what is the science of it?
yesterday i was fine and was happy, only got about 4 hours sleep last night and had to get up for work today, now i feel like everyone hates me, especially those who i care about the most. this is probably feelings of paranoia (i hope). does lack of sleep starve the brain of common sence or something? its like i cant imagine anything happy or anything going right for me...

Comments

• Options
    its true....i had sleep related depression last summer...doctors tend to perscribe amytriplenne (?sp) for it
  • Options
    does it work? and if so, how long did it take to kick in as i've heard that some anti-depressants can take upto 3 months to start working...
  • Options
    You probably feel depressed when you have had a bad night sleep because your body needs time to relax and run down ready to spead up again the next day.
    I sometimes get like that but i find another good night sleep is all that i need. But if you can't get to sleep and you've tried everything then try nightol i hear its good :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by icey
    does it work? and if so, how long did it take to kick in as i've heard that some anti-depressants can take upto 3 months to start working...

darling i dont think you have depression i was merely telling you the AD for sleep related depression. i was sleeping about 2hours a night and depressed for over three months constantly before they prescibed me to take it.

just to answer your question it takes about a week to kick in, it works by making you sleep and also by being an AD
  • Options
    it's true - sleep deprivation can do nasty things to your body and mind.

if it's just to do with the sleep, you might be better off with a short course of sleeping pills, just to break the cycle. anti-depressants can often make sleeping patterns worse. even the ones that are suppose to be sedating.
  • Options
    just a suggestion but before you start considering drugs etc would it not make more sense to set a sleep regieme and stick to it, most people need at least 8 hours sleep every night and i know i get very depressed if i get little sleep.
    You should get your body into the routine of going to sleep at round about the same time and getting up at about the same time every day ensuring you get about 8 hours so as to not mess up your biological clock, you'll prolly feel alot better
  • Options
    To me that is says "moody" not depression. Depression dosen't just go overnight when you have had a decent nights sleep.