Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

diplomatic immunity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I dunno, I don't understand the rationale behind it.

Whenever someone uses that term though I always think of Joss Ackland in Lethal Weapon 2!:cool: :lol:
  • Options
    Re: diplomatic immunity
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what do you think?
    i want some.
  • Options
    Its absolutely vital.

Yes, in cases such as the recent one with the alegations of child molestation it seems horrible.

However, we should look at it the other way round. It offers our diplomats around the world protection from trumped up charges, which could potencially cost them their life.
  • Options
    it's been a staple of diplomacy for a long time. It has to be borne in mind that if we chuck some countries diplomats in prison, they could potentially torture and kill ours.

This child-molestation case (has anyone got a link to the story?) is particularly disturbing, but has to be handled very carefully, or it could result in, in the worst case scenario, war.
  • Options
    Personally I believe that immunity should apply in the country the diplomat is working, but that they should be investigated by their own Govt and punished as if they had committed the offence at home.

We all know that immunity is abused...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Personally I believe that immunity should apply in the country the diplomat is working, but that they should be investigated by their own Govt and punished as if they had committed the offence at home.

We all know that immunity is abused...

Well yes, but to have any kind of international relations this is currently the only option
  • Options
    Re: diplomatic immunity

my dad was in afghanistan recently and he had diplomatic immunity...I was sooooo jealous
  • Options
    Did he bring anything back?
  • Options
    im sure that wouldnt stop vigilantes though, only in police states diplomatic immunity is helpful, not in lawless states like afghanistan