Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cracks in the corners of mouth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have some. they're not really painful as such, but if i open my mouth too wide, they split, and hurt like hell.

i used to have them when i was anaemic, but am pretty sure i'm not at the moment.

anyone know if they can be a side effect of antibiotics? they've only appeared since i've been taking them.

and how do i get rid of them?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know the answer, but I'm interested to hear that cause my fella has exactly the same thing. I wonder if it's some kind of mineral or vitamin deficiency?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I don't know the answer, but I'm interested to hear that cause my fella has exactly the same thing. I wonder if it's some kind of mineral or vitamin deficiency?

yeah, it can be. i've had them from that before too, but at the mo i'm on super doses of multivitamins and am in pretty good health apart from the tooth thing (which is hurting a multitude less since the antibiotics kicked in) so in my case, i don't think that's it.

but it's most likely the case for mr. miffy. especially if his guts are not working right. even if you eat well it's sometimes not absorbed properly.
  • Options
    IT could just be a sign that you're run down because of the tooth.

I always get badly cracked lips when I have the cold.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have those things all through winter...
  • Options
    I've had that sometimes. I've always just assumed it was a bit of chapped lips and put carmex on them as if that what it was. Then they would go away like it too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    yeah, it can be. i've had them from that before too, but at the mo i'm on super doses of multivitamins

But it's most likely the case for mr. miffy. especially if his guts are not working right. even if you eat well it's sometimes not absorbed properly.

Well they're definitely not working right. Do you mind if I ask what kind of super doses you're on?
  • Options
    Well they're definitely not working right. Do you mind if I ask what kind of super doses you're on?

i take a normal multivitamin, and then an extra 500mg of vitamin c - it's supposed to help with infections. but vitamin c can give you the runs, so it won't help with absorption if you're already not great in that way.
  • Options

Lack of B vitamins can cause cracks at the sides of your mouth, especially is you have other symptoms along with it.
    Kaff, are you sure you're no longer anaemic? Other than that, I think some people are just more prone to it than others - do you get cold sores often by any chance?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    Lack of B vitamins can cause cracks at the sides of your mouth, especially is you have other symptoms along with it.
    Kaff, are you sure you're no longer anaemic? Other than that, I think some people are just more prone to it than others - do you get cold sores often by any chance?

i do get cold sores, but usually when my body is absolutely battered, and it seems to be recovering pretty well at the moment, and i haven't had one for ages. *touches all the wood in the room*

i'm not entirely sure i'm not anaemic, but i was fine at the last blood test, which was only a couple of months ago, and my eyelids still look nice and pink, so i really doubt it.

my body in itself feels the healthiest it has for something like 10 years, which is why i don't think it's a deficiency. even my lips aren't dry or cracked like they almost always are - just these two sore cracks in the sides of my mouth, and this morning i have a couple of ulcers inside my mouth....
  • Options
    i got that a few times before i want on holiday, mine was with my skin and lips being overly dry...i wouldnt advise you to put carmex on them too much, try the vaseline lip therapy at night and a bit of carmex during the day and they should clear up after a day or two.