Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

in our lifetime?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Election Day moved to yesterday due to terror concerns

Official: Precinct voting locations, dates, times had to be kept secret for citizens' safety
Bush sworn in for at least four more years as President, baring further terror attack

Washington — The U.S. Presidential election originally scheduled for November 2 of this year was moved to yesterday, and preliminary results show a decisive reelection victory for George W. Bush. The Federal Election Commission said that the threat of a major terrorist attack forced the rescheduling, which was so abrupt that the government had no time to inform citizens of the change.

Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Tom Ridge said that the threat of terror would not affect the outcome of a major election. "No terror threat will ever be allowed to stop Americans from exercising their right to choose President Bush to continue to be their president," said Secretary Ridge.

Officials credit the government's total secrecy regarding polling locations and the date and times they would be open with the success of avoiding a major attack. "Al Qaeda would have loved to get some of that information, but we wisely kept it out of their reach," said a Homeland Security official.

President Bush spoke to the nation after the low number of votes were counted by the handful of precinct who actually received votes. "The terrorists have lost again," the President declared. "The winners are the American people who somehow found themselves in a polling location sometime between two o'clock and two-thirty this morning by some random act of God and were able to participate in the democratic process."

Comments

• Options
    4 years ago I would have laughed at such suggestions. Today I can't.

As the 'threat levels' in the US keep rising in inverse proportion to Bush's poll ratings, and as 4-years-old information is passed as evidence of immediate danger from "terrorists", no one should be surprised if something does indeed 'come up' near the election to 'justify' its postponement or outright suspension.

The US temporarily ceased to be a democracy when the neo-cons cheated their way into the White House in November 2000. Let's hope that democracy can be restored there soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    as evidence of immediate danger from "terrorists", no one

I feel like I have to point out your use of punctuation mate. If only because it seems like you're saying that those responsible for september 11th aren't terrorists. I hope you're not, because no matter where they're attacking, terrorists are what they are.
    Even if the US government has to drag up old evidence to keep their citizens afraid...

Otherwise I totally agree. Years ago this would have been laughable, 6 months ago it would have been funny. Now it is a scary possible prospect. And hauntingly familiar because it is in a similar way that Hitler consolidated his control on Germany.
  • Options
    No, of course I didn't mean it like that. I was referring to the nearly daily scares based on false information as well as the pointing of fingers in every direction accusing nearly everyone of carrying out terrorist activities. But I wouldn't dream of denying that those responisible for 9/11 and members of Al Qaida are terrorist scum. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Well then take your historic analogy further then Friend and recognise that 911 very likely could be the work of persons entirely other than those handed to the public in the official coverstory (which has to this day not been thoroughly and publically investigated save for in a very controlled and limited fashion by a handpicked committee).

Remember that the Nazis burned down the Reichstag and the public swallowed the lie hook line and sinker when it was summarily blamed on others.
  • Options
    That's why it's best to state that "whoever is responsible for 9/11 is a terrorist scumbag".
  • Options
  • Options
    Well I know who terrifies me most and it isnt cave dwelling leftovers from the 1980's in a country with crap infrastructure, that's for darn sure.
    A lot didn't, but it was a bit late by then.

Just as I and many others don't believe the all too convenient coverstory on 911. Yet, thanks to a wholly corporate and collusionist mass media, the paradigm has become ingrained in the general public psyche and thus we who continue to argue the glaring inconsistencies which make the official line utterly ridiculous are simply labelled "conspiracy theorists".
  • Options
    As I said last night before it got swallowed by the crash, I wouldn't give you very long odds on that happening if I was a gambling man.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I feel like I have to point out your use of punctuation mate. If only because it seems like you're saying that those responsible for 9/11 aren't terrorists. I hope you're not, because no matter where they're attacking, terrorists are what they are.

and what is a terrorist, can anyone define a terrorist, there must be at least a thousands "terrorist" groups in the world, half of them fighting for different things, these days a "terrorist" is a middle-eastern who wants to destroy america, the people that carried out 9/11 are islamic millitants, not "terrorists", i could terrify my granny, does that make me a "terrorist"
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    and what is a terrorist, can anyone define a terrorist, there must be at least a thousands "terrorist" groups in the world, half of them fighting for different things, these days a "terrorist" is a middle-eastern who wants to destroy america, the people that carried out 9/11 are islamic millitants, not "terrorists", i could terrify my granny, does that make me a "terrorist"

A terrorist is a person who uses methods of terror to get their own way. The IRA are terrorists, Al Qaeda are terrorists, Palestinian suicide-bombers are terrorists. The cause does not denote whether they are terroists or not, nor does race or origin. It simply comes down to how they go about getting across their point of view, terror means terrorist.
  • Options
    A terrorist is a person who uses methods of terror to get their own way. The IRA are terrorists, Al Qaeda are terrorists, Palestinian suicide-bombers are terrorists. The cause does not denote whether they are terroists or not, nor does race or origin. It simply comes down to how they go about getting across their point of view, terror means terrorist.

so George Bush and Tony Blair are terrorists, how come no one has arrested them or invaded their countries.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Well then take your historic analogy further then Friend and recognise that 911 very likely could be the work of persons entirely other than those handed to the public in the official coverstory (which has to this day not been thoroughly and publically investigated save for in a very controlled and limited fashion by a handpicked committee).

Remember that the Nazis burned down the Reichstag and the public swallowed the lie hook line and sinker when it was summarily blamed on others.

I dont really think it was the government per say, but perhaps for the CIA to be funding Bin Laden and knowingly supply with him with weapons and weapons training might have been an unwise policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I dont really think it was the government per say, but perhaps for the CIA to be funding Bin Laden and knowingly supply with him with weapons and weapons training might have been an unwise policy.

Depends if

a) the Commies are worse.
    b) the bin Ladens are close family friends.

Really.

America- land of the hypocrites.
  • Options
    this is more like it

house_closed.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Depends if

a) the Commies are worse.
    b) the bin Ladens are close family friends.

Really.

America- land of the hypocrites.

Well we did have to stop The Red Tide! American efforts worked so well in the Far East.
  • Options
    I feel like I have to point out your use of punctuation mate. If only because it seems like you're saying that those responsible for 9/11 aren't terrorists. I hope you're not, because no matter where they're attacking, terrorists are what they are..

Why do we assume they were terrorists though?
    They were all from Saudi Arabia, so why didn't the headlines say
    "House of Saud declares war on the USA"???

It takes a lot of skill to fly a jet flying at 500mph to crash right into the side of a 5 storey building, how do we know the "terrorists" weren't actually trained soldiers who's government saw an opportunity to sucker punch the US and blame it on someone else....?
  • Options
    Because the government told us so, and they never lie.