Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Overweight/Underweight/Eating Disorders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm Mariam and I moderate Anything Goes, Politics and Students, so some of you may not be familiar with you.

But I'm putting the word out guys now, cos I need afavour.

Are any of you overweight or underweight?

Are you concerned about this?

If so I want to hear drom you as I am reseraching an article on these two topic areas. Also do you binge eat or just pick at the food on your plate? Are you an emotional eater? Or are you on a fad diet such as Atkins, South Beach or Cambridge, Grapefuit etc. Let me know and I may contact a couple of view fopr a quickie interview. Anyway peace out.

Mariam

Comments

• Options
    I'm overweight but i put it on whilst preggie, does that count?
  • Options
    How about if you can't even begin to picture yourself as grosley overweight but "technically" you are underweight :p i think those measurement things lie.
  • Options
    feel free to contact me, ive been overweight and underweight and had bulimia from 11-16. over it now but im happy to awnser questions about it
  • Options
    i had an eating disorder for 11 years, and am currently underweight and unable to make my doctor as worried about it as i am.

if you need any help, i'd be happy to send some your way.
  • Options
    I've been overweight since I was a young child. I've been fighting/arguing with my weight for years... :mad: I've done weightwatchers, atkins, starvation, atm I'm considering laxatives (how pathetic am I :mad: )

Any questions, pm me :)

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm a couple of stones overweight and I'm planning on losing it soon,
  • Options
    ive been underweight my whole life, was bulimic last year but am over it now.

just drop me a message if theres anything you wanna ask
  • Options
    i'm underweight and i'm happy to answer any questions.
  • Options
    I know im probs not the age you want stories from but ive always been underweight. It doesent matter what I eat i just dont put weight on.
    some time ago i just couldnt face food, i didnt feel hungry and could lok at a plate of food and just not eat it. When I had post natal depression I never ate much at all, id drink tea or coffee and smoke ciggies all day, the weight literally fell off me.....i was skinny to begin with so imagine what i went to. I never got weighed at this time, but eventually realised there was a big problem. With help from a psychiatric nurse i got on the mend and started putting the weight back on.

Im currently approx 7st 9 ish?......I dont get weighed much really, but im about the same as I used to be. My clothes fit about the same so thats why im presuming im the same weight.

I remember the one time in my life when I actually did put weight on and that was when i packed in smoking. Id always been a size 8/10 and after a few months of packing in smoking I even had problems getting into a size 12. When i look back at photos there i looked huge (to me) because Id never put weight on before.

Im happy now, my weight to me is fine. I wear a size 10 clothes although at times i wish i was slighlty bigger. I think somewhere in my head i remember everyone calling me skinny, didnt matter who it was but growing up everyone took the mickey out of me. Now because im married I dont really care, my hubby is happy with my size so that makes me feel better.......however I used to be a bit self consious but that again stems from when i was younger.

sorry im waffling........pm me if I can offer any help :)
  • Options
    I am somewhat overweight, been putting on weight slowly (but surely :() in the last year since after I stopped exercising. Lack of exercise and because I eat retardedly (want to get as much energy in the least time when I eat, and if there's nothing that fits my requirements I sometimes don't even eat) is what I've got to blame. :P
  • Options
    I might be a little underweight, not sure.

I'm 5'6", I have a small frame, I'm a guy (just so you know) 28" waist and I average at 8 1/2 stone.

I am always trying to be a little bit thinner, have a little bit more definition on my stomach, which I have none on. I tend not to eat that much but I wouldn't say I'm unhealthy or anything.
  • Options
    bugger, at 8 1/2 stone I am 19.2 on the BMI. I'd rather be 8 stone, it's always been my goal, and I'd be 18.1, which is slightly underweight, but it's always been my goal.
  • Options
    I'm the right weight for my hight, but I see myself as grossly overweight. I'm 8st now and I hate it. My aim is to get down to 7st. I know its very low but that the weight I would be happy with. Ive had an eating disorder for years. I tried to make myself sick but found it to hard. I got i'll and had the runs all night and I found that in the morning I had lost half a stone. So I started taking laxatives every couple of weeks, so it was a gradual thing and people wouldnt notice and I could still eat what I wanted. Not that I bindged or anything.
    I was happy with how I looked for a while, but I put weight on again and now I'm considering going back to my laxative thingy....not plucked up the courge yet tho.
  • Options
    I am a bit overweight and I binge eat.
  • Options
    Currently in 'treatment' for anorexia. Been through the system a few times. Currently underweight - anything that could be of any help, I'd be willing.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~

Like you, it annoys me people complaining who are blatently really skinny and thinner than you that they are fat. It gets on my nerves!

You used to say all the time you were fat yet you were a size 8/10, same thing really?
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~

I have this friend who is well underweight who goes "I'm so fat" when they know I'm alot heavier/fatter than them and they know I'm concerned with my weight.

You dont get it do you ?
    Its very common for us all to feel like we are thin or go the other way and say we are fat. I knew I was skinny and felt self concious about it. I used to wish i could put weight on (in my teens) and I couldnt then id see someone who I thought had a drop dead gorgeous face and figure and they would say they were fat, I just couldnt work it out.
    Even if I had a nice curvy figure i would still have found something wrong with me, we all have this mirror image of how we want to look but in reality we wouldnt be happy even if we had that image.
  • Options
    response is fab!

Thanks guys,

Your response has been overwhelming!

So many people out there who have seriously considered their 'body image' and its relation to self.

I thought I was the only one.

Some of you have replied directly to me and I want to thank you, but you will need to be 19 or under for the case study because the piece is not for the site but a sister site which is aimed at a slightly younger audience. But feel free to pm me anyway, especially if you are 19 or under, so I can get a good idea of the bosy issues out there.

Best,

Mariam
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    People say Im skinny, and I personally think I am, but then I come on here andtheres people calling themselves fat and they weigh less than me!
    I wish I could prove it somehow to all these thin people that they ARE THIN!

your perception of the way you look can be immensely fucked up though.

i mean, clothes off, i still look at myself in the mirror, and see someone who's much bigger that i know i can possibly be, cause i know i wear small clothes, and don't weight much. i don't go around saying 'i'm so fat, i'm so fat' cause i'm not a complete dickhead, but in my head i think it every time i see myself naked.

clothes on, these days i can see my body for the size it is. i don't know why the clothes make a difference.

but yeah, even though i know i weight such an amount, and my waist is so big around, and i wear such and such a size in clothes, and i know that's small, i still see something bigger when i look at myself.