Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

depression from the outside

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know what it's like to be depressed, but what is it like to be around someone who is depressed, how do they affect you? i think i really need to know this as i need to get myself out of this mess. i freeked yesterday causeing loads of problems for myself, and i just wondered how i was affecting others.....

Comments

• Options
    The people I've known who've been the most depressed have always been the ones that hid it the best.

althogh if you're close, you can always tell, cause they withdraw, spend more time alone in their room. always have something wrong, headache, stomache-ache. they sleep a lot. you can tell they're back on meds cause they have pupils the size of dinner plates.

it's hard for me, cause i know how it feels, and i don't know how to make things better for them.

but as for them acting depressed, i wouldn't know, cause none of them do it.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    althogh if you're close, you can always tell, cause they withdraw, spend more time alone in their room. always have something wrong, headache, stomache-ache. they sleep a lot.

That sounds so much like me it's scary :(

And I didn't mean that in a 'my god I'm so depressed!!!!!111oneone' way either.
  • Options
    My mum has suffered with depression for years but as she's on medication she controls it well. When she runs out of tablets or forgets to take one she is grumpy and difficult to be around.

My ex boyfriend also suffered from depression and he was hell to be around. He was nasty, probably without meaning to be and he was generally bad tempered and withdrawn - not his fault I suppose. When he was on medication he wasn't on the right one and he had awful side effects and became suicidal. That was scary. Having the threat that someone you love could topple at any time isn't nice. I know it mustn't be nice to be the one feeling that way either, but like I said, seeing someone you love in such a way is hard and it scares you. He then stopped his medication without warning which made him worse for a small time. He now says that looking back being depressed without medication was a far better experience for him than being depressed with medication. This shows how important it is to make sure you get the right treatment,.