Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can you tell it's getting closer to election time?

"Credible" al Qaeda threat discovered.

Up goes the risk-o-meter, up goes the fear, up goes Bush's personal ratings straight after a successful Democrat convention.

Isn't that how it works these days?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The scary thing is that people are buying it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    The scary thing is that people are buying it.

No.

The scary thing is that one cannot trust the warnings that the Government gives out anymore.

A warning like this should be serious, but all people see is the lies and spin behind it. Even if the warning is genuine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No.

The scary thing is that one cannot trust the warnings that the Government gives out anymore.

A warning like this should be serious, but all people see is the lies and spin behind it. Even if the warning is genuine.

Absolutely.

I suspect that the intelligence used in this instance was a look at the "ratings" in the US which showed that Kerry had surged ahead. Especially when you consider the Party Political nature of the press announcement.

As you say, we should take a warning like this serious, be concerned about the threat. In the 50s and 60s we would have, hell in the 80s we would have. Now we look for other reasons that such a warning might be given because time and time again since the end of WW2 we have discovered that such warning carry little merit.

Of course, when something does happen we ask why we weren't told, but that's another question altogether...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Of course, when something does happen we ask why we weren't told, but that's another question altogether...

The odd thing is that, despite all these warnings, they don't seem to be able to warn about the genuine threats. Like in Madrid or Bali.

Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    how credible do we think a red alert closer to the time is then? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And at the end it will be like the boy who cried 'wolf' too many times...
  • Options
    i was bout to post that as i was reading down!!!!