Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Upload slowing download?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm on a DSL 786/256 broadband connection and whenever I'm uploading stuff, my Browser download speed drops severely (like not surfable anymore, in MS IE as well as Opera). But when I'm downloading things via a download manager or k*zaa or something the speed is still okay.

So how come my browser gets so slow? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I kept having these errors that kept asking me to econnect when I'm on broadband, removing all the windows networkig protocols and leaving only what I need, i.e. TCP/IP and Microsoft Network thingy made al the difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Is it a slow response time? What about sustained downloading?

If you really hammer the upload bandwidth, then the requests for documents/files might not be sent particularly effectively.
    I remember my friend had a similar problem.

What's a slow response time?
    But yes, since it's only slow for websites, not for "download-only-downloads" the problem could be the requests. so is there a way to maybe reserve a certain amount of upstream bandwidth for the IE or Opera?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I mean, when you click something it takes years to do anything.
    yes, exactly!

so there aren't any general Windows-Bandwidth settings? :(
  • Options
    Try SnapFiles, http://www.snapfiles.com/ I'm sure they had something which monitors all bandwidth on a computer and it can then limit certain bandwith to certain processes as well as give some more when they want them.

Can't remember what it was called though sorry.
  • Options
    you may wish to look at the QoS thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    What's a slow response time?
    But yes, since it's only slow for websites, not for "download-only-downloads" the problem could be the requests. so is there a way to maybe reserve a certain amount of upstream bandwidth for the IE or Opera?

I imagine it's the name resolution that is failing because the upload bandwidth is saturated and the requests aren't getting through. You should be able to limit the number of simulatainious uploads and therby limit this problem.
  • Options
    one word, QoS (Quality of Service)

you can enable it on your network adaptor and it'll prioritise your applications by importance, so net radio will take priority over bittorrent, as will gaming etc.
  • Options
    oh right,
    I've actually disabled QoS some time ago because some "Internet Tuning Guide" told me to *lol*
    But with QoS enabled now it's okay again.

Thanx a lot!!!
    Greetz!
    FLX
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    oh right,
    I've actually disabled QoS some time ago because some "Internet Tuning Guide" told me to *lol*
    But with QoS enabled now it's okay again.

Thanx a lot!!!
    Greetz!
    FLX

Ahh, yes, but you may notice that your downloads are slower,, so the advice given was 'correct'